Hulse to Middlesborough

Day

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you hit the big 30 in football terms your planning your retirment cruise. There isnt any striker in the Championship worth £5m and if Boro were to offer £5m we should snap there hand off as long as Cloughie gets at least half the money to buy another striker.

beckford hits 20+ in league 1 but if you think about it 5m is a lot to leeds and they could by another league 1 striker fot it. Wasnt he a previouse target then there manager said leeds were a bigger club. Doesnt look like he goin anyway derby have called the reports rubbish

ROB Hulse has brushed off talk of a big-money move away from Derby County.

The striker has been linked with a £5m switch to Championship rivals Middlesbrough but insists his only focus is on getting himself fully fit and scoring goals again for the Rams.

Hulse has been recovering from a groin operation and made his first start of the season in Tuesday's goalless draw at Blackpool.

Now he says he wants to concentrate on rediscovering the form that produced 19 goals last season, while ignoring any transfer speculation.

Asked about the reported interest from Boro, the 29-year-old said: "I know nothing about it at all. As far as I am concerned, it's something I don't really need to be hearing about.

"I've been out injured and all I'm concentrating on is getting fit, getting myself back in a Derby shirt and getting goals again.

"This is where I want to be. I certainly see my future at Derby."

Middlesbrough are looking for a striker as they are likely to offload Tuncay and Afonso Alves before the transfer window closes at the end of this month, following their relegation from the Premier League.

The Teesside club are reported to be keen on Aberdeen front man Lee Miller and Hulse, although Derby's chairman of football Adam Pearson has stressed that the latter remains a key part of the Rams' future plans.

Hulse, who joined Derby for £1.75m from Sheffield United last summer, vowed not to let the speculation surrounding his future unsettle him.

"I had it when I was at Crewe and every week, I was going somewhere else," he said.

"I think you learn to take these things with a pinch of salt, to be honest.

"I think sometimes people run out of things to write about and I don't read newspapers anyway.

"It's not something I really want to talk about. I just want to focus on getting back to how I can play, for Derby."

Hulse, who made a brief substitute appearance in Saturday's 3-2 defeat at Ssausagehorpe United before starting at Blackpool, admitted he was not yet full match fit.

"It was just nice to be back out there playing again," he added.

"I've got a bit of catching up to do but it's the best way to do it, to get thrown in and take it from there.

"Physically, obviously I'm a bit behind everyone else but I felt all right.

"I'll play better than I have so far. Getting that first game under your belt is always the most difficult.

"I only trained two days and then started a game, and I was dying afterwards, so I'll be all right!

"As far as I am concerned, it is all about doing some training and getting as many minutes as I can to get me back up to speed. I'm sure it won't be too long."

Skysports.com understands Middlesbrough are ready to make a move for Derby striker Rob Hulse before the close of the transfer window.

Middlesbrough have held a long-term interest in Hulse and now armed with money from the sales of Tuncay Sanli and Robert Huth are ready to firm up their interest with a bid.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate is thought to be an admirer of Hulse and is keen to lure him to the Riverside Stadium.

Middlesbrough are short of options in attack and Hulse would help to bolster their attacking options with a target man thought to be top of their wanted list.

Derby are keen to keep hold of former Leeds and Sheffield United hit-man Hulse, but could find it hard to resist a big-money offer from Boro for the 29-year-old.

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11696_5517488,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11696_5517488,00.html

DERBY County are believed to have received a big money offer from Middlesbrough for striker Rob Hulse.

Speculation has surrounded the future of Hulse during the summer, with Middlesbrough constantly linked with the 29-year-old frontman.

I understand Boro have now made a bid of around £3.5m, with the transfer window due to close at 5pm today.

Hulse was Derby's top scorer last season with 18 goals and was voted player of the year.

The Crewe-born player joined the Rams for £1.75m from Sheffield United in July 2008.

Other transfer talk involves defender Paul Connolly.

Ipswich Town are interested in the right-back but their valuation of the 25-year-old is considered to be too low.

One piece of transfer business that could be concluded today is a swap deal involving left-back Jordan Stewart.

He could join Sheffield United, with experienced midfielder Lee Hendrie signing for the Rams.

Stewart does not figure in manager Nigel Clough's plans.

The 27-year old, who has two years to run on his contract, signed on a free transfer in July 2008.

Hendrie, 32, played more than 250 games for Aston Villa earlier in his career – and earned one England cap – but he has not played for Sheffield United this season.

He had loan spells at Leicester City and Blackpool last season.

Derby arrived at their base in Spain yesterday afternoon ahead of tonight's friendly against Atletico Marbelli at the Estadio Municipal de Marbella, kick off 9pm (8pm BST).

The temperature was in the 30s when they reached their hotel at Benahavis, just outside Marbella.

The hotel and its sports facilities, including a training pitch, have been used by three other Midlands clubs in recent years.

Aston Villa, Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion have been to the same base and Spanish club Malaga recently completed their pre-season here before they kicked of their La Liga campaign at the weekend.

"The match is a training game but we will be taking it seriously," said coach Gary Crosby.

"We have got a programme that mixes hard training and some recreation time where the lads can get together.

"These trips can be very positive for team fitness and team morale."

[url=http://www.therams.co.uk/news/BORO-163-3-5M-BID-STRIKER/article-1299670-detail/article.html]http://www.therams.co.uk/news/BORO-163-3-5...il/article.html

------------------------------------------------------------

If we sell Hulse for £10m we would be f'kin stupid, we are not in a position to sell Hulse even with a ready made replacement lined up. I will be beyond pissed off if this goes through today.

I cant see it happening.We are short of a decent,fit strikeforce as it is.Then again money talks.If they can squeeze around £4m out of Boro they may be tempted(also he will have a week to get a striker in on loan).

So there you have it,Hulse will go and Varney will return to join Dickov upfront.All in the name of progress people.

I will be fuming if this happens

BORO today launched a last gasp bid to sign Derby County striker Rob Hulse.

Gareth Southgate has targeted the 29-year-old big front runner as the man to lead Boro’s Championship assault.

The two clubs were in talks today with Boro working hard to try to hammer out a fee.

It is believed the Rams rate Hulse at around £3m, having signed him for £1.75m from Sheffield United 14 months ago.

Hulse top scored for Derby last season with 18 goals, and was voted player of the year.

Southgate targeted Hulse earlier in the summer but the lack of available cash gave the impression that no deal was likely to happen.

Even over the weekend the Boro boss was resigned to the fact he might not be able to make any more additions to his squad.

But the change of heart and impending sale of Afonso Alves to Al Sadd has opened the door for Southgate to go hunting for a new striker at the last minute.

Any new faces are still heavily reliant on Alves agreeing terms with Al Sadd today, though Boro remained very hopeful that this deal would go through.

Boro have agreed a fee with Al Sadd, though the amount of cash involved has not been disclosed.

Boro will probably be unlikely to go to £3m for Hulse, so some tough negotiating will be needed today.

If nothing is agreed before the 5pm transfer deadline, then Boro could still try to complete a quick deal with out of contract former Sheffield United striker Danny Webber.

Another option is to continue negotiations with Derby in the hope of agreeing a loan deal for Hulse.

[url=http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2009/09/01/boro-in-last-gasp-bid-to-sign-striker-rob-hulse-84229-24578293/]http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-...84229-24578293/

Archived