Tech bargains.

Ram@Lincoln

No idea where to put this so thought I'd create a thread for any deals you might see.

Just seen this advertised at Aldi, looks quite good for the price.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-28th-november/product-detail/ps/p/24-led-tv-dvd-combo/

24 inch full HD tv with DVD player, freeview HD, 2 hdmi slots and a 3 year warranty. All for £130, quite a bargain, what do you reckon?

It's not a branded box, Altius brand probably Aidl's own brand but its cheap, seems good specification and has the 3 year warranty if it goes wrong.

Any other bargains out there?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, if you ever need any deals, you have to look at this place:

Www.hotukdeals.com

Anything you want, just search it, laptops, tv's, microwaves hell, even a bag of wotsits.

Yep, in the past year or so I've had a Samsung Galaxy S4 (£27/month for the bells-and-whistles package), Samsung UE40F7000 TV (£675) and Onkyo TX-NR626 (£350) through HotDeals. Fantastic prices on all of them and I research the web over for the best deal.

RamLincoln, I got a Samsung NP370R5E in September to replace my Missus's 5 year old Toshiba, lovely little laptop, very stylish in white too and great for what its used for (general browsing, work) and very lightweight for moving round the house/commuting).

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/samsung-np370r5e-15.6-inch-intel-core-i3-3110m-6gb-ram-500gb-hdd-win-8-laptop.html?gclid=CJfW14L9_boCFfHKtAodHVkAzw

Its bang on your price range and the specification is what you expect for the price. My other half was delighted with it anyway which makes a change.

Interms of electronics, I find September and January are the months to buy. Sept is where a lot of manufacturers bring out new product lines and the discontinued lines are suddenly slashed in price. Jan for obvious reasons. I'm usually one model shy of the latest craze and prefer to stay that way. I would never buy at the over-hyped release price of all this stuff, be it Iphones or 4K TV's or whatever, thats just spunking away money to keep up with the chavs next door. Its a fun game trying to get good stuff for knock-off prices.

Yep, in the past year or so I've had a Samsung Galaxy S4 (£27/month for the bells-and-whistles package), Samsung UE40F7000 TV (£675) and Onkyo TX-NR626 (£350) through HotDeals. Fantastic prices on all of them and I research the web over for the best deal.

RamLincoln, I got a Samsung NP370R5E in September to replace my Missus's 5 year old Toshiba, lovely little laptop, very stylish in white too and great for what its used for (general browsing, work) and very lightweight for moving round the house/commuting).

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/samsung-np370r5e-15.6-inch-intel-core-i3-3110m-6gb-ram-500gb-hdd-win-8-laptop.html?gclid=CJfW14L9_boCFfHKtAodHVkAzw

Its bang on your price range and the specification is what you expect for the price. My other half was delighted with it anyway which makes a change.

Thanks for your help Silly Billy, the one you link to is out of stock. Is it worth waiting for it to be back in stock? I've googled the laptop number and can only find that model as a used item with 3-6 months warranty. Would ideally like a new one with a longer warranty than a used one. The difference between the woolies one and your one seems to be a ram and a processor. I assume the bigger number is better so yours at 6 to 4 is a lot better? Then the processor celeron to your i3. What's the difference and is it worth £50 extra for a used one with a few months warranty?

My missus will only use it for woman things, watching youtube/iplayer, stalking the latest celebrity and spending my money online. If I get her one then it means more time I can spend on my laptop!

Thanks, apologies for the load of questions.

Thanks for your help Silly Billy, the one you link to is out of stock. Is it worth waiting for it to be back in stock? I've googled the laptop number and can only find that model as a used item with 3-6 months warranty. Would ideally like a new one with a longer warranty than a used one. The difference between the woolies one and your one seems to be a ram and a processor. I assume the bigger number is better so yours at 6 to 4 is a lot better? Then the processor celeron to your i3. What's the difference and is it worth £50 extra for a used one with a few months warranty?

My missus will only use it for woman things, watching youtube/iplayer, stalking the latest celebrity and spending my money online. If I get her one then it means more time I can spend on my laptop!

Thanks, apologies for the load of questions.

Apologies for the lazy link, didn't realise it was out of stock, thats just where I got ours from - I saw it advertised at the price and snapped it up. I don't know whether you're looking for it for an Xmas present but be good to wait till Jan if you can manage another month and then see if you can pick it up for the price I did or better (or any laptop for that matter).

Basically, has a third more RAM which means in theory the system is capable of running more programs more efficiently and quickly (when you have various words docs/browsing going off or whatever).

Similarly with the dual core processor, an upgrade to that is the i3 in this case, then an upgrade to that would be the i4 etc. the more cash you pay the better you get. All to do with processing speed.

Its about getting whats right for you, I tend to think upselling is a mugs game for most people and a licence to print money for the stores, it might be of interest if you're some major gamer or PC nerd but for the majority of us who use the computer for a bit of work, store a few photos and vids and general browsing its not really relevant.

That woolies one is £279 for a reason, low end of market and pretty cheap looking, I'd personally hang fire and see if you could get a little bit better for a similar price or a bit of an upgrade for £50 more. For a laptop that you/she may have for 4-5 years or more and spend a lot of time on, maybe worth an extra £50 - just my opinion.

As a general note, I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with ex-display and refurb, I've never had a problem but I always see it as a risk I'm prepared to take - I know some like the security of long warranties. I got some Boston Acoustics soundware XS 5.1's for my new amp and would have been looking to pay anywhere from £200-330 at the time, I got a knock-off set for £70 as the front centre has a slight (barely noticeable dent) on it. Good as new otherwise. I have bought quite a lot over the years, the way I see it I'll have saved way more even if one or two do end up breaking on me.

Apologies for the lazy link, didn't realise it was out of stock, thats just where I got ours from - I saw it advertised at the price and snapped it up. I don't know whether you're looking for it for an Xmas present but be good to wait till Jan if you can manage another month and then see if you can pick it up for the price I did or better (or any laptop for that matter).

Basically, has a third more RAM which means in theory the system is capable of running more programs more efficiently and quickly (when you have various words docs/browsing going off or whatever).

Similarly with the dual core processor, an upgrade to that is the i3 in this case, then an upgrade to that would be the i4 etc. the more cash you pay the better you get. All to do with processing speed.

Its about getting whats right for you, I tend to think upselling is a mugs game for most people and a licence to print money for the stores, it might be of interest if you're some major gamer or PC nerd but for the majority of us who use the computer for a bit of work, store a few photos and vids and general browsing its not really relevant.

That woolies one is £279 for a reason, low end of market and pretty cheap looking, I'd personally hang fire and see if you could get a little bit better for a similar price or a bit of an upgrade for £50 more. For a laptop that you/she may have for 4-5 years or more and spend a lot of time on, maybe worth an extra £50 - just my opinion.

As a general note, I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with ex-display and refurb, I've never had a problem but I always see it as a risk I'm prepared to take - I know some like the security of long warranties. I got some Boston Acoustics soundware XS 5.1's for my new amp and would have been looking to pay anywhere from £200-330 at the time, I got a knock-off set for £70 as the front centre has a slight (barely noticeable dent) on it. Good as new otherwise. I have bought quite a lot over the years, the way I see it I'll have saved way more even if one or two do end up breaking on me.

Ah right, thanks for putting things in understandable terms. :)

It was going to be a Christmas present but if the price was a lot cheaper in January then I guess she can wait!

I don't mind buying second hand goods, for example I buy many playstation games that way and the odd book on Amazon used. If the price was say around £50 to £100 tops then I wouldn't mind buying used. I think I'd only buy a used/refurbished one off a big retailer who would offer a warranty of some kind.

I'll look for one with a i3 or i4 in it, if that's what the better ones have in. So I want a 6gb ram and a i3 or 4. I'll get looking and post another option for inspection. :)

-

I've found these refurbished on PC World.

This one, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/refurbished-laptops/toshiba-satellite-c850-1lq-refurbished-15-6-laptop-21417578-pdt.html

And this one, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/refurbished-laptops/acer-aspire-e1-571-refurbished-15-6-laptop-21417568-pdt.html

The top one has a i3 and 8gb ram, 750gb hard drive for £300. 

The bottom one has a i5 with 750gb hard drive but only 4gb ram for £330.

For £30 is it better to buy the higher i5 one with less ram or buy the lower i3 one with more ram? And is it worth the £30 difference?

Thanks Silly Billy and anyone else. :)

Just to let you know mate, incase you go looking for an i4 processor and can't find one, the one above the i3 is the i5, the one above that is the i7.

There is no i4, wouldn't want you looking for a certain one that doesnt exist :D

Thanks for clarifying that...typed that without thinking.

If you can spare £30 I'd say yes it is.

I can and the reviews look decent enough so I reckon I go for the i5 one. Seems a good price as there's another one advertised on pc world for £380 new but one number down on the model number. So £330 and a 12 month warranty, pretty decent. Thanks everyone.

Anyone got any other tech bargains? :)

Check out pixmania.com, well cheap compared to high street. Was looking at a samsung 40inch sound bar on offer at Argos £179. Checked out pixmania, and got the next model up with free delivery for £130

Remarkable.

Buy cheap buy twice.

You can quote me on that (apart from Swansea Ram)

Found a nice TV for you guys. Reasonably priced aswell...

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55la970w-led-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-4x-3d-glasses-and-2x-dual-play-glasses/p715352?s_afcid=af_47868&awc=1203_1385556590_723218ac07bd4fcbcafe3392e693df49

Archived