Friends owing you money

notts_ram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play it cool, go round or ring him as normal and politely say you need it. When he says he will, just say you absolutely need it by.....

When he doesn't, step it up and tell him that you want immediate payment or something of equal value.

If it gets nasty, small claims court (could possibly threaten him with that earlier?)

Usually works mate.

I know how you feel, and unfortunately I don't have an answer. My former best friend and flat mate owes just over £1000 from when he lived with me. I had the added problem that he started seeing my wife's sister and whenever I mentioned it to him, he started having a strop with her (even though it was before they got together and nothing to do woth her) and she would start moaning at my wife cause he was moaning about me asking for money, so the wife would moan at me. So I left until they split up. And the minute I found out they had I went calling for my cash and he said he was gonna pay me back but has since vanished.

I know how you feel, and unfortunately I don't have an answer. My former best friend and flat mate owes just over £1000 from when he lived with me. I had the added problem that he started seeing my wife's sister and whenever I mentioned it to him, he started having a strop with her (even though it was before they got together and nothing to do woth her) and she would start moaning at my wife cause he was moaning about me asking for money, so the wife would moan at me. So I left until they split up. And the minute I found out they had I went calling for my cash and he said he was gonna pay me back but has since vanished.

That's bad.

That's confrontation time. I wouldn't get too worked up over £200 but I'd get my point across for 1k.

Bang out of order that mate. He's not a friend. Get nasty. Piss taker

notts,

Is there any chance he's living beyond his means?

Car on credit? Stuff in instalments? Holiday perhaps a loan?

Loads of people live beyond what they can afford and will be in debt forever just to look the part. Everyone is doing it so everyone does it to keep up.

£200 is a lot when you're skint but its not when you're either well in debt or sitting quite comfy.

I bet he's skint or in bigger debt/bigger problems and your cash feels like a lot?

That's bad.

That's confrontation time. I wouldn't get too worked up over £200 but I'd get my point across for 1k.

Bang out of order that mate. He's not a friend. Get nasty. Piss taker

I think I would have made sure I got it back off him if he didn't start going out with my sister-in-law but cos he was with her so long and it caused arguments between the mrs and her sister I left. Fooker has disappeared and, tbh, I gave up hope of seeing any of that money the moment he got with the s-i-l.

I think I would have made sure I got it back off him if he didn't start going out with my sister-in-law but cos he was with her so long and it caused arguments between the mrs and her sister I left. Fooker has disappeared and, tbh, I gave up hope of seeing any of that money the moment he got with the s-i-l.

Really bad that is. Causing problems at home. Cnut

i used to have a 'mate' who would say , 'lend us a tenner 'til next week' , next week came and went..

maybe six weeks later he'd say ' lend us a tenner 'til next week'  , i told him , give us the tenner you 'borrowed'

six weeks ago , and i may consider lending you another one , he never asked again..

cost me a tenner , but , at least it stopped him asking ever again..

'never a lender , or a borrower be'

Archived