Mo Farah

smiffy

Yeah but if they arent funded why should mo farah be funded, 

I dont want to take anything away from the bloke but surely there must be a cut off or criteria kept for funding, 

He has openly said his sole target is the marathon next year Not the commonwealth games

I was listening to an interview with Katherine Merry on Talk Tripe when I was driving home from work a couple of days ago and she was saying that much of the lottery funding for the most successful elite athletes drops off substantially when they become successful (and earn a large wedge from the sport).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to an interview with Katherine Merry on Talk Tripe when I was driving home from work a couple of days ago and she was saying that much of the lottery funding for the most successful elite athletes drops off substantially when they become successful (and earn a large wedge from the sport).

I didnt know that?? 

Im surprised they dont have to release details of it all 

I didnt know that?? 

Im surprised they dont have to release details of it all 

I think there are different levels of support. She said that years ago certain athletes used to get their stipend and go shopping, whereas nowadays it's to pay for training expenses, accommodation, international travel, training camps, medical expenses etc. There is a 'monthly living allowance' factor built in too. What bits are variable she didn't say - but she did stress that some of it is means tested - also although funding is approved on a year-by-year basis, athletes can be included or excluded at any time dependent upon circumstances. In other words, nothing is automatic and it's not a gravy train.

Its all mishmash as I see it.

At the games next year there could as I see it be medal winners who receive no funding, and failures getting it.

It depends upon the viewpoint, of course, as to the purpose of the funding in the first place. It isn't meant to be a reward for a achievement, but an aid to allow those athletes who otherwise would be unable to achieve their potential. The difficulty is where the cutoff should be. At one time (when Britain was crap at most Olympic sports) 'achievement' meant making a Commonwealth, European or (preferably) World or Olympic final. The latest interpretation (they have seriously clamped down this year) is that 'achievement' means 'potential medallist'. That's why basketball lost 100% of its funding this year and why Phillips Idowu has lost his funding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/24518679

The commonwealth games are not a compulsory event to attend for Team GB funded sports people, and as Eddie stated the funding is off set once they gain a level where the sponsorship takes over, i doubt Mo has had a penny from UK athletics for several years as Nike have adopted him as the poster boy for their long distance footwear.  Also Mo gets a lot of funding from US sporting institutes that monitor him and analyise how he trains etc etc, Loughborough also do the same and currently the Volleyball team can be seen around the Sports Park

• 1 year later...

what on earth was this about?

LesterRam is implying that because Salazar is to be investigated by UK Anti-Doping over an alleged offence in 2002, that somehow Mo Farah is also implicated.

he missed two blood tests !!! didn't hear the doorbell apparently ?

It's an interesting one, isn't it?

There have been an average of 340 athletes on the national testing register over the last 5 years, and in that time, there have been 224 missed tests. That's an average of 2 missed tests for every three athletes at most, or one missed test for every six athletes at least dependent upon how volatile the list of 'testable' athletes is year-by-year.

Why do you choose to single Mo Farah out?

None of them would miss a single blood test if their lives depended on it .

I have had maybe more than one hundred , some booked months in advance , never missed one .

Yes, me too.

Deep vein thrombosis is a pig.

he missed two blood tests !!! didn't hear the doorbell

the tests were in 3 to 4 years ago, before the olympics, and during his defense of the second there's a video showing that the doorbell was inaudable from the room he said he was in.

The missed tests weren't news worthy when they were actually missed, but suddenly years after he was cleared of wrongdoing its suddenly a major story.

the tests were in 3 to 4 years ago, before the olympics, and during his defense of the second there's a video showing that the doorbell was inaudable from the room he said he was in.

The missed tests weren't news worthy when they were actually missed, but suddenly years after he was cleared of wrongdoing its suddenly a major story.

Why have a door bell you can not hear , sort of defeats the object .

The UK has the most stringient policy, if there was any doubts about Farah he would have been suspended by now.  Linford got banned for taking the wrong flu medicine.

It needs to be looked at globally and until China and Russia and a few others over in that direction, I think its rather pointless having it, just have competition for drug users and one for none drug users

id say that a lot of houses of more than two stories have a door bell that cant be heard in every room.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying Farah has anything to answer to with regards to performance enhancing drugs , I just think its a lame excuse for missing the test.

PS

I live in a three story house and I can hear someone knock on my door from the attic .

Don't get me wrong I am not saying Farah has anything to answer to with regards to performance enhancing drugs , I just think its a lame excuse for missing the test.

PS

I live in a three story house and I can hear someone knock on my door from the attic .

I couldn't hear a doorbell if it was right next to me.

Must stop taking those steroids.

Archived