"When Saturday Comes" on Clough/McClaren

SantosHalper

Alright boys and girls,

I was asked to write a short piece for When Saturday Comes about Clough's departure and McClaren's appointment. Here's the link:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1167-october-2013/10326-steve-mcclaren-replacing-clough-divides-derby-fans

I tried to be fair and balanced, reflecting the fact that whilst some are in favour and some against Clough's sacking, everyone wanted him to succeed and didn't want things to end like this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You gave both sides of the fans opinions (in the context of being fair and balanced), but what do YOU think?

I've been reflecting on this for the last few days, and am beginning to think that, although I'm upset about it, it is indeed time for a change. But I wanted to avoid anything too polemical. I thought there'd be the usual comments section that I'd post something on, but it's not up yet. Shame, as it would have been nice to see what other WSC readers think about it all.

OK then briefly, the club was in the doldrums and something had to change.

I'm sure there's more to all this than meets the eye, and the timing was very unfortunate.

We've now got a highly regarded ( within the game ) managerial team with a lot more experience, so time to move on and support the team tonight.

COYRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammms !!!

Pretty spot on for me personally except for the very last sentence, I don't believe everyone was willing him to succeed, in fact I believe there were a few revelling in his departure but hey I could be wrong, it has been known, I think I got something wrong around March 1977.  ;)

Most outsiders who don't know much about it think he's done a good job on a limited budget.

Some fans who do know something about it agree with them.

Pretty spot on for me personally except for the very last sentence, I don't believe everyone was willing him to succeed, in fact I believe there were a few revelling in his departure but hey I could be wrong, it has been known, I think I got something wrong around March 1977.  ;)

Docherty lover.

:p

I wanted to express the fact that even fans who came to oppose him and wanted him out would have not wanted things to come to this rather sorry end.

I mean, that's true of any manager (er, except maybe McLeish at Villa), but especially true of the son of our greatest ever manager.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of the opinions. Football, wherever you look, polarises opinion. Often the most vociferous have the most 'controversial' views, what's the expression? An empty vessel makes the most noise?

I think most realistic fans thought Clough was doing a decent job in the circumstances. A few things raised doubts but overall the club's direction of travel was largely upwards and given the perceived lack of resources Clough was making the best of a challenging situation. You'll get various people quarreling around the edges but in terms of bigger picture it's a tiny minority that thought we had gone backwards under Nigel.

I think that whatever happens the Clough legacy will always be fairly secure in most of the fans' minds. It's almost win-win in the long-term for Nigel despite having lost his job, which sounds like a funny thing to say. However, taking a step back from things I think Nigel was only a certain way through his grand plan and I find it much easier to highlight the positives than to label much failure at his door. He never truly got the opportunity to succeed or fail, so much of the assessment of his time here is based on a lot of unknown future outcomes. Had he got to the end of the season without challenging, then I think most would accept he had run his course but I think it's unlikely that we would have ever flirted with relegation, so it would have been unfair to label even a non-challenge as a failure in the truest sense of the word.

It's tough to predict but I can see Clough being looked upon favourably by a large proportion of fans. Consider if McClaren succeeds then huge credit goes to Clough for building the foundations. If he fails we should have stuck with Clough and the gamble didn't pay off.

Not much solace to Clough now, given that he must be bitterly disappointed at the way things have panned out but in the long-term I think he will have the respect of most fans for the work he has done here overall. He has mine and I will always be thankful that he came here to rebuild our club.

Archived