Should Nigel have accepted this?

Alph

I'd be lying if said I didn't feel a guilty tinge of disappointment when I was at the airport on Saturday and all the texts came flooding through, "are you happy now Mostyn", "you got what you wanted" etc. you'd think I'd be happy, but although deep down I know it's the right thing to do, it didn't and doesn't feel right. But that's my heart and not my brain talking. Nigel's qualities as a human were also his frailties as a manager!

This McLaren quote seems quite purposefully said for me "The board want to move in a new direction and go to that next step and that is why we are here. We want to fill the stadium and get the fans excited because they are the most important people at this football club."

That says to me this is about money and comes from higher than Rush!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved how Clough was trying to do things. Sadly his greatest asset, his loyalty, was also his downfall. We live in a results business, there isn't much time for sentiment and all that.

We tried swimming against the tide of modern football, it would have been wonderful had it worked but I struggled to see anything other than a midtable finish for this season with Clough in charge. I think he needed to bring something different, maybe that experienced head, that recognised coaching support.

I don't get the hatred for Rush, I really do not. His job is to help get the club promoted sooner rather than later. Sometimes you have to be ruthless, no point hanging on for purely nostalgic purposes. Yes, I think it could have been handled better but how could you make sacking someone after 4+ years a friendly event?

Investors crank the pressure on Rush. Rush cranks the pressure on Clough. Clough wouldn't budge, something had to give. I also feel how Clough did things gave off the impression of a small club. He wanted to do it his way, putting pressure on himself. That is what frustrates me about his time, I feel if he had accepted help or gone with the board's direction, that dream would still be alive.

Or at least how I see it.

So Rush thinks he knows best & has decided to be ruthless.

I trust Rush will be fired if we do not challenge for promotion this season.

Why would you think that? Nobody expects anything that soon. Firstly he needs a full season, then all his own players, then some million pound players, then time for them to gel etc etc

So Rush thinks he knows best & has decided to be ruthless.

I trust Rush will be fired if we do not challenge for promotion this season.

Why would you think that? Nobody expects anything that soon. Firstly he needs a full season, then all his own players, then some million pound players, then time for them to gel etc etc

Archived