NFL thread

Perky1106

OK, just recorded some games coming up this week and the NFL show on 4 which shows highlights from all of the games. I'm going to follow your advice Srg, think I will go into it not supporting a team and let things come naturally. I only have one mate who likes NFL and he's a Minnesota Vikings fan as he lived in Minneapolis for a time.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't mind me asking,how'd you become a Ravens fan mate?

When I got into the NFL I tried my hardest to support the Rams, for obvious reasons. But it just wasn't happening.

In the end, it was the style of play (hard hitting defense), loud fans singing Seven Nation Army, players like Reed, Rice and Suggs and I'm a big fan of The Wire.

As far as supporting somewhere you've been, that's a fair shout and what a lot of people do. Unfortunately, leads to everyone supporting the same teams.

Steer clear of the Jets as they're horrible and New York media will make following them or the Giants annoying.

I hate the 49ers. Can't stand their fans at all, and Kaepernick is the most overrated player in the league.

Chargers would be great. You don't see many Chargers fans over here at all. Plus, they're looking like an excellent team this year.

When I got into the NFL I tried my hardest to support the Rams, for obvious reasons. But it just wasn't happening.

In the end, it was the style of play (hard hitting defense), loud fans singing Seven Nation Army, players like Reed, Rice and Suggs and I'm a big fan of The Wire.

As far as supporting somewhere you've been, that's a fair shout and what a lot of people do. Unfortunately, leads to everyone supporting the same teams.

Steer clear of the Jets as they're horrible and New York media will make following them or the Giants annoying.

I hate the 49ers. Can't stand their fans at all, and Kaepernick is the most overrated player in the league.

Chargers would be great. You don't see many Chargers fans over here at all. Plus, they're looking like an excellent team this year.

Fair enough. My whole family is a Redskins family now and as I was growing up so it stood to reason they are now my team as well.  Tbh I do not like Ray Rice as a person with his recent troubles but I do think he should not be ostracized for the rest of his career and should be given a chance to play football again, even if not in the NFL.

I've also been to Florida, and hopefully will be going to Miami again some time next year. What are Dolphins like? And Tampa Bay? Don't really want to support Jaguars as apparently they're shiite and a few friends are Fulham fans so obviously never hear good things about Shahid Khan

Well im a packers supporter - not a fan because I donr know enough to be called a fanatic.

Started watching NFL in mid 80's when I was a kid. They were crap but I liked the underdog. My dad went for the seahawks.

Right now they remind me of Derby. Got the offence if it clicks (like against the bears and Vikings) but if it doesnt they huff and puff (like against the lions) with a defence capable of making cock ups.

I've also been to Florida, and hopefully will be going to Miami again some time next year. What are Dolphins like? And Tampa Bay? Don't really want to support Jaguars as apparently they're shiite and a few friends are Fulham fans so obviously never hear good things about Shahid Khan

Dolphins are not a bad team to support.  They have a rich history winning the Super Bowl a few times, but basically have been crap for the most part since Dan Marino retired.  This season they have a decent shot to get 6 wins I think, which would be a good stepping stone for next season for them.

Chargers might be a good team for me. I liked San Diego and California in general; if I get so attached I have to make a trip out there I won't be complaining  :) . Obvious attraction to St Louis Rams but not sure about that.

AR and Srg, which teams should I definitely not support?

Chargers might be a good team for me. I liked San Diego and California in general; if I get so attached I have to make a trip out there I won't be complaining  :) . Obvious attraction to St Louis Rams but not sure about that.

AR and Srg, which teams should I definitely not support?

Well mate in the end, you just support who you want too. With that being said, teams I would avoid are the Cowboys and Steelers.  Their fans from my experience....really leave something to be desired.  Chargers are a good team to support as they always have a team good enough to do something and their fans are very nice as well whenever I have talked to some.

As far as the Rams go, it is a good pick for obvious reasons.  But if you really want a team to cheer for that has a chance at all of actually doing anything, I would not choose them.  Their qb Austin Davis looks to be decent, but over the long haul I don't think he can handle it. We will see I suppose.

As AR said, support who you naturally go towards but teams I dislike are Steelers, Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, Patriots, Saints and Broncos. 100% avoid Steelers, 49ers and Patriots. And the Manning bandwagon will retire within 2 years and the Broncos will be terrible again, so steer clear of that.

Ok, thanks for the advice guys.

As I've already said, I've recorded some NFL related programmes that are airing in the next week or so. Will just see which team I naturally gravitate towards. At the moment I'm thinking either Chargers, Dolphins, Rams, Giants or just sticking with Packers, but we will see. Hopefully will be having some NFL-related conversations with you guys over the next few months 

Well im a packers supporter - not a fan because I donr know enough to be called a fanatic.

Started watching NFL in mid 80's when I was a kid. They were crap but I liked the underdog. My dad went for the seahawks.

Right now they remind me of Derby. Got the offence if it clicks (like against the bears and Vikings) but if it doesnt they huff and puff (like against the lions) with a defence capable of making cock ups.

I'm a fan of the Packers too and I shouldn't say this as to me Man Utd are the Antichrist of English football. Packers are more comparable to Man Utd at the moment. Historically very successful, very popular and romanticised by many but struggling at the moment to get to the very top. 

I think things are looking up though as in Eddie Lacey we now have a proper RB. Before this we were relying too much on Rodgers and our passing game. When injuries struck it stung.

Redskins actually kept it much more respectable than I thought. Still, the predictable victory for the Seahawks.

Yep, Redskins just irritate me so much.  Their defense last night made feckin Russell Wilson look like Joe Namath. Wilson is good no question, but not that good. At least Cousins played a littler better.

I just read today that there is some debate over Redskins name being a racist one. If they have to change it what would it be ?

No clue mate. I for one think people really need to get a life of this issue as a majority of Native Americans do not have an issue with it.  People who are mainly backing a change are piss-poor politicians who have nothing else to do with their time.  As far as new name if it does change? No idea really.

Archived