The Driving Thread

Scott129

Got my driving theory test tomorrow and, if I pass, I'll be booking my practical pretty much straight after. A bit nervous but also excited, hence the creation of this thread.

So, fellow Derby fans, share your driving experiences!

When did you pass? How many attempts did it take you?

What was your first car? Do you have a dream car?

Anyone else preparing to take their test(s)/have lessons soon?

Any other driving-related contributions are also welcome :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you fail your theory you should be banned from ever driving.

I passed second time, due to 2 majors both for undue hesitation (including one for not overtaking a tractor near a junction!!!!). Turned out the woman examiner passed every girl in sixth form and failed every lad, amid reports of flirtation and inappropriate thigh squeezing. So stands to reason. Actually drove worse the time I passed.

First car was a ford KA... Not through choice at least, as it was a free hand-me-down. Girls car completely but drove like a go-kart which was fun.

My very first ever lesson, never drove a car in my life up until then, 4 years ago.

I'd been in the car 20 minutes and the instructor said to me 'you're not very receptive to instruction are you'.

I wasn't feeling very confident and that made me feel even worse so that did it for me I'm afraid. Dav & the kids want me to try again but I don't want to.

My very first ever lesson, never drove a car in my life up until then, 4 years ago.

I'd been in the car 20 minutes and the instructor said to me 'you're not very receptive to instruction are you'.

I wasn't feeling very confident and that made me feel even worse so that did it for me I'm afraid. Dav & the kids want me to try again but I don't want to.

It's just like riding a bike, only easier.

go for it gal...... :D

You surprised me LR because normally women drivers are very good and have excellent awareness on the roads.

:lol::lol:

My mother in law is a brilliant driver. Very aware of what's around her but doesn't suffer road fools gladly.

You should try a woman instructor. Mine was really good. Little tiny lady with a strong north east accent. We had a good laugh...

Similarly, I recommend having a go in a driving simulator before your lessons. Really helped me.

I love cycling, walking, anything but driving no thanks, my low attention span and anxiety doesn't make for safe driving, had lessons on country lanes a few years ago but gave up after that as I hated it and nearly crashed into a signpost.

Strange though, I like cars,  motorsports etc. Luckily we have decent public transport here for a rural town and get most my shopping online and we have decent restaurants, chip shops etc a few minutes walk from my home so I don't really need to leave home when I have go to work, dentist and they are all accessible.

Archived