The Driving Thread

Scott129

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love cycling, walking, anything but driving no thanks, my low attention span and anxiety doesn't make for safe driving, had lessons on country lanes a few years ago but gave up after that as I hated it and nearly crashed into a signpost.

Strange though, I like cars, motorsports etc though. Luckily we have decent public transport here for a rural town and get most my shopping online and we have decent restaurants, chip shops etc a few minutes walk from my home so I don't really need to leave home when I have to work, dentist and they are all accessible.

That's wierd, that's how I got - really nervy and jumpy. The fear of causing an accident was awful and I couldn't enjoy it.

But I love watching motor sports though, don't mind that one bit.

If you fail your theory you should be banned from ever driving.

I passed second time, due to 2 majors both for undue hesitation (including one for not overtaking a tractor near a junction!!!!). Turned out the woman examiner passed every girl in sixth form and failed every lad, amid reports of flirtation and inappropriate thigh squeezing. So stands to reason. Actually drove worse the time I passed.

First car was a ford KA... Not through choice at least, as it was a free hand-me-down. Girls car completely but drove like a go-kart which was fun.

That just reminds me of Simon's driving test in The Inbetweeners :lol:

Passed first time a few years ago. I'm on my 3rd car. First two peugeot's were death traps. One didnt like changing gear and the other didnt like sticking to the road.!

Got a focus estate now and I think after a few thousand pound later I've got a car it's safe to put my family in!

The theory...

I did no revision at all. I did 4/5 mock tests on the morning of my theory and I passed it by 1 point. I dont think I'd pass it again. To be honest half the questions seem irrelevant. Driving is about common sense and keeping calm. You've got brakes to stop you crashing.

Test...

I was pretty decent at driving when I went for my test so I was confident. I pulled out the test centre after making a nervous mistake on reverse bay parking. Drove to the top of sinfin lane to the traffic lights on the hill. Went to pull off and stalled it.

That was it I thought I'd failed. My nerves went and I sat through the whole test sulking but relaxed.

Got back and I'd passed.

Nerves are the problem because driving is quite easy.

Although you learn more when you're on your own after you've passed.

I used to have quite a long drive where we lived. Two gates to get through so I used to practice reversing up there and it improved that part of my driving no end. The worse thing you can do is try to rush things. Like in a test you get 1 chance to correct a reversing manoeuvre?

Wtf?!? It takes as long as it takes when you've just passed your test. Don't let anyone rush you.

Here's a tip.

Always remember a BMW has a different Highway Code to everyone else. You must make way for them like you would an ambulance

Passed first time in August 2012.

I wasn't confident at all and hadn't told anybody about the test. Went for a bit of a walk on the morning to try and clear my head a bit and i suppose that helped.

It still hasn't really sunk in that i can drive and go wherever i want because never in my life did i expect to be good enough!

Got my first car, a Peugeot 106, in April and i'm just about getting used to it now.

Good luck, its much easier than you think and if you can go into it with a clear, calm head it should be a doddle.

Passed in 2011.

First instructor was someone in Heanor called "Classic Driving school".

Prior to my first lesson with him I had never driven a car in my entire life, he was aware of this and yet made me drive around Shipey Park on a busy Summers day and then around a busy town center at the worst possible time of day.

He had a hissy fit because I stalled it twice and when I say hissy fit I mean "No No No! You're doing it wrong for god sake!" And then when I arrived back home he said something along the lines "It's ok I've had worse drivers whom take five lessons driving around the same area". I'd rather have took five times around the same area getting familiar with everything than bloody driving all over the town with schools kids running infront of me!

That really didn't help my confidence and I couldn't wait for the lesson to finish and leave this pillock who clearly hadn't got much patience and just want my cash.

Here's a tip.

Always remember a BMW has a different Highway Code to everyone else. You must make way for them like you would an ambulance

And Audi's. Had a lesson the other day and one was driving right up my backside, trying to overtake at every opportunity. My instructor was furious :lol:

My mum drives for her job too and says most Audi drivers seem to have a superiority complex on the road.

Started lessons in about 2004. with one company and one horribly shouty instructor (Ray Kerry/Kelly, something like that) in which time I failed 2 tests, can't for the life of me remember how many/what faults because it was aaaages ago.

After 2 tests I switched instructors but stayed with the same firm, had this instructor for about 6 months, he was a lot better on a  personal level and I was ready for a 3rd test... a few days before the 3rd test, he fails his own instructors exam and I have 1 final lesson before the test in an unfamilar car with an unfamilar instructor.. ultimately failing the test on 1 major that I thought was wholly unfair - it was coming off a side road on a hill, onto Manor Road (Mickleover) - looked for oncoming traffic, there was none, put it in gear, looked back into the road and there was just one car crossing over into in my lane... moved forward (uphill) about 2 INCHES (to follow as soon as they passed) and the examiner slammed on the brake claiming I hadn't seen the car! ****!

So that was about 2006 and I 'had a break' (errm, 'gave up')

Started lessons again early 2008, just with BSM, with one instructor (who was a Forest fan) who was good, but again not very experienced - from scratch almost I got back up to test standard and took my 4th test.... failed! (Totally my fault though)

Then for the 2nd time in my driving experience the instructor failed one of his exams and I needed a 4th instructor! This time is was one of BSM's most experienced instructors and I finally passed in January 2009 at the 5th attempt!

Bought a car Feb 2009, a 2005 Vauxhall Astra Elite (Diesel 1.7), still got it, never broken down.

First year's insurance on it was £1400, now down to about £500.

Archived