No place for Hendrick?

L_J_DCFC

Who would you have in the middle of the park?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We seem to be going with the 4-4-2 again with Bryson and Hughes in the middle with Ward on the left and Coutts on the right. This could mean that our main asset could have to miss out. He seems to have been stuck with the second string team along with Sammon. I believe we should play the 4-3-1-2 with all three in the middle and Coutts missing out and Ward being the one in front. By doing this, it utilizes all of our assets and makes us a stronger team. Whoever we leave out in the middle of the park, I believe we will miss a different quality and therefore we will not be as strong.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We seem to be going with the 4-4-2 again with Bryson and Hughes in the middle with Ward on the left and Coutts on the right. This could mean that our main asset could have to miss out. He seems to have been stuck with the second string team along with Sammon. I believe we should play the 4-3-1-2 with all three in the middle and Coutts missing out and Ward being the one in front. By doing this, it utilizes all of our assets and makes us a stronger team. Whoever we leave out in the middle of the park, I believe we will miss a different quality and therefore we will not be as strong.

I don't believe Hendrick will miss out, was a big talking point, but as far as I can tell he has done as well as anyone in pre-season looking a lot sharper than he did last season at this point.

I can't even pick who I would have in the team, so Clough is obviously got a task on his hands. 

Personally first game of the season I would try 

Coutts Hendrick Hughes Bryson in a flat 4 midfield, lots of energy and movement and can interchange.

Ward and Russell upfront.

But I don't know, I will be happy with whoever starts the season - as long as we change it up, and keep it fresh everyone will have their chance. 

It's whether he'll bring Hughes in more this season, without injuries he made the side better on the day. A few times last season I felt we were a bit lacking in the defensive midfield role when Hughes wasn't playing, in the hole where Hughes was playing mostly last season, collecting and dispensing the ball out.

Hendrick won't start until Yeovil, I already told you all this in the match thread when you were throwing 20p's at me.

Both have been involved with Ireland over the last month, England, Georgia, Faroe Islands and Spain. They haven't had a proper summer break like the rest and with them both being called up again for the 14th August Ithink both will be on the bench for the first 3 games and maybe even the Leicester game.

4th May v Millwall

29th May v England

2nd June v Georgia

7th June v Faroe Islands

11th June v Spain

28th June Pre-Season Training

I predict Hendrick's first start will be against Yeovil on the 24th, Sammon to start v Leicester.

I know I'm right so hand over my winnings now.

After the Yeovil game things will be mixed up with Hendrick and Hughes starting, Hughes is still a baby and can't be expected to start a full season and look at what a break did for Hendrick last season. #ITK

Crikey, give Hendrick a break!

What do Marcelo, Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas have in common? They've all been given extra holiday by Real Madrid because they played in the Confed Cup.

Sammon and Hendrick are both firm Clough favourites, but they're going to be eased in a bit more because they've played for Ireland three or four times while the rest of the squad have been soaking in pools in the Caribbean with a nice cocktail.

If they're used sparingly, this forum will be rife with the classic "they're off in this transfer window" "I've heard they've fallen out with Clough" etc, but I'm half expecting them to be sat on the bench against Blackburn because they're not going to be 100%.

Crikey, give Hendrick a break!

What do Marcelo, Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas have in common? They've all been given extra holiday by Real Madrid because they played in the Confed Cup.

Sammon and Hendrick are both firm Clough favourites, but they're going to be eased in a bit more because they've played for Ireland three or four times while the rest of the squad have been soaking in pools in the Caribbean with a nice cocktail.

If they're used sparingly, this forum will be rife with the classic "they're off in this transfer window" "I've heard they've fallen out with Clough" etc, but I'm half expecting them to be sat on the bench against Blackburn because they're not going to be 100%.

You could have just liked my post and saved your fingers from all that typing.

I like the 4-3-1-2 formation, although it lacks width, it can easily revert to a 442 without much tinkering.

In a 4312 i'd play

brayford Keogh Bucko Forsyth

Bryson Hughes Hendrick

Ward

Russell Sammon

If we then need to go to 442, just stick huges and ward on the wings, or get coutts and Jacobs on.

I'll put a cash bet on with anyone that Clough will play a minimum of 4 midfielders. (*disclaimer:playing Ward out on the left or Russell out on the right counts as midfield).

Clough is not brave, nor dynamic enough to do what is effectively 2 things by putting only 3 in midfield. Clough likes wingers, AND, Clough likes his wingers to retreat all the way back so far that it looks like we have two full backs on each side of the pitch.

Ask yourself, If there were only 3 in midfield, which playing positions would then retreat to be near Forsyth and Brayford?

I think this season we'll see a lot more rotation, especially within the front 6, to avoid fatigue and injuries. We know Clough likes to play with energy, and many times last season we saw that players who were rested, came back into the team with that extra yard of pace and confidence e.g. Sammon. I think he'll stick with 4-4-2 this season - he's came out in the DET today and said he sees Russell and Martin as his front 2 - but having the likes of Sammon on the bench to stretch the games in the last 15 minutes or incase of injuries/suspensions will be hugely beneficial.

-------Coutts---------Bryson---------Hughes---------Ward--------

---------------------Russell--------------Martin------------------------

I can see this being the first choice team - although I wouldn't be to surprised if Hendrick was in there instead of Bryson - both bring something similar to the team for me.

-----Davies-------Hendrick--------Coutts----------Jacobs------

----------------------Sammon------------Bennett------------------

Then any of these players (I know I've left Coutts in there) could be bought in for cover should tiredness or suspensions become an issue, and they are all capable players.

Wouldn't be surprised at all when during weeks which see us playing Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday you see something like this:

Saturday

----------Coutts-------Hendrick---------Hughes--------Ward----------

-------------------------Russell-------------Martin-------------------------

Tuesday

----------Coutts--------Bryson------------Hughes---------Jacobs------

-------------------------Russell--------------Sammon---------------------

Saturday

-----------Davies---------Bryson---------Hendrick--------Ward---------

-----------------------Martin----------------Sammon-------------------------

At home 442.

Grant

Brayf Keogh Jake Forsyth

Coutts Will Bryson Ward

Sammon Russell

Away. 433.

Grant

Brayf Keogh Jake Forsyth

Coutts Jeff Bryson

Russell Martin Ward

and yes I would still keep Theo for away games as I'd class him as a better player coming off the bench than Sammon. 

Isn't this just the same thing over and over again. Clough is a 442 man and sometimes a 451 when he feels we need to be more solid. He was at burton and has been mainly here.

it's like some people are away with the fairies! They certainly haven't noticed there are several rules that are engrained in Clough's gameplan. One of the easiest to spot is doubling up on oppositing wingers! For that very reason, Nigel will never be fully committed to a 3 in midfield.

it's like some people are away with the fairies! They certainly haven't noticed there are several rules that are engrained in Clough's gameplan. One of the easiest to spot is doubling up on oppositing wingers! For that very reason, Nigel will never be fully committed to a 3 in midfield.

Exactly he likes the ball to be worked wide and drilled across the box into a good area and expects the forwards and midfielders getting in there. how many times has he mentioned it?

To much football manager and listening to sky trying to fill an hour before a match and after. It's the same across all sports on TV now. When you speak to actual people who have played and managed the game at the top level they don't make it as complicated.

Archived