Eight hours in Derby and district - what to do with the time?

eddie

The scenario - a Dublin-based friend of mine is flying into East Midlands Airport on the very day that I fly over to Ireland to watch The Rams - July 12. How annoying. He has the best part of eight hours to kill before he flies out again to sunnier climes for his summer holidays. Anyway, he doesn't want to spend all day at the airport and has asked for suggestions for how to occupy his time. He is prepared to hire a car for the day but public transport is preferable so he can have a beer.

Feel free to post your suggestions. I've got a few ideas but I'll keep them to myself for now.

He has asked specifically for three things...

1. A great breakfast

2. Three pubs (he will obviously not visit all three if he is driving)

3. Three places to visit / things to do. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky link service runs every half an hour I think?

And he could get off at elvaston castle and have a little stagger around own the way back?

Shardlow is nice, lots of pubs down there.

Trip the other way to West Bridgford?

Drop some acid or Rohipnol then he won't have any recollection of the previous 8 hours

I said Derby, not blooming Nothingham. We sycophants leave that sort of activity to the low-lifes.

Taxi to the Brunny 7 hours later taxi back to the airport......jobs a good un B)

The Brunswick and the Donington Collection is all we've got so far.

Anyone got any idea about where to go for a good brekky?

The Brunswick and the Donington Collection is all we've got so far.

Anyone got any idea about where to go for a good brekky?

Sky link service runs every half an hour I think?

And he could get off at elvaston castle and have a little stagger around own the way back?

Shardlow is nice, lots of pubs down there.

Trip the other way to West Bridgford?

Excuse me?

Excuse me?

Sorry, I phrased that very badly. They were choices I had in mind originally, as was the East Midlands Aeropark - which unfortunately is closed on a Friday. Elvaston Castle is a good choice for 'normal' people, but Adrian is a typical Dubliner. He therefore likes engines that make a lot of noise, racehorses, alcohol and fry-ups 

Has anyone tried the brekky at Bennetts Brasserie? It's probably the only place that white pudding is available on a breakfast in Derby

Taxi to your house

Key under the brick at the back door

20 pints of home brew and selected Belgian beers

Ambulance back to east midlands airport

Job done

Good call re the Acropolis.

Also the CAMRA Derby beer festival is on. Looks like the Cathedral Quarter has a few things going for it.

Archived