attendances

Geriatram

The BBC news web site has published a fans league table this morning which i thought quite interesting.Our gates are slightly down on last season,23,228 compared to 26,020,the highest gate was 33,010 the lowest 20,063. I'm afraid I dont know how to download the article but If someone can There are some interesting comparisons. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premier League attendances for 2012-13 have shown an increase of nearly 4% on the previous season.

The average attendance for a game in England's top flight was 35,975, up from 34,601 in 2011-12.

That rise has come during a difficult economic period, with the UK narrowly avoiding a triple-dip recession during the first quarter of 2013.

The official figures from the respective leagues show crowds have fluctuated across Europe, with Barcelona's average gate down by more than 9,000, an 11% drop.

Attendances at Inter Milan have fallen by more than 3,000, but new German champions Bayern Munich have seen an average increase of around 2,000.

The Scottish Premier League's average attendance fell by 28%, from 13,855 to 10,020, although that figure was skewed by the liquidation of Rangers, who reformed in the Scottish Third Division.

Celtic were one of six SPL clubs whose gates fell in 2012-13, with average crowds dropping from 50,904 to 46,917.

Rangers saw only a slight dip in attendances, though, attracting average crowds of 45,750 - down from 46,324 - as they won the Division Three title.

In England, 16 of the 20 Premier League clubs increased their average attendance in 2012-13. The three largest rises were for the three clubs promoted from the Championship in 2012 - Reading, Southampton and West Ham - with Everton recording the next largest increase.

But a football supporters' group has warned that these increases could be lost if Premier League clubs do not reduce ticket prices.

Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation, believes that away supporters are particularly in danger of being priced out of grounds.

"We will be watching very closely what happens next season, when there will be a major increase in media revenue under the new television contracts," Clarke told BBC Sport.

"The Premier League clubs will be receiving so much from these contracts that they could let almost everybody in for free next season and still have the same amount of money coming in as they do now.

"Certainly if the match-going fan does not get the benefit of the clubs' extra media revenue, the reaction could be significant."

To see how your club fares in the attendance league, use our interactive table below. Clicking at the top of any column will rank the clubs in order.

Derby County - 23228

Nottm Forest - 23082

Leicester City - 22054

Brighton - 26236

Anyone trying to claim we're a massive club because of how many fans go to the stadium on average need to check the facts..

Attendances mean squat all but a few extra pounds in ST revenue for the owners.. A difference between 1 - 5,000 is literally meaningless..

The gap between Brighton and Derby is bigger than the gap between Derby and Wolves.. What does this mean? Nothing really..

No-one will choose Derby over Charlton for example because of a difference of 5,000 fans in the stands.. Even still I guess our average is majorly skewed due to 2 games (Leeds and Forest).

Derby County - 23228

Nottm Forest - 23082

Leicester City - 22054

Brighton - 26236

Anyone trying to claim we're a massive club because of how many fans go to the stadium on average need to check the facts..

Attendances mean squat all but a few extra pounds in ST revenue for the owners.. A difference between 1 - 5,000 is literally meaningless..

The gap between Brighton and Derby is bigger than the gap between Derby and Wolves.. What does this mean? Nothing really..

No-one will choose Derby over Charlton for example because of a difference of 5,000 fans in the stands.. Even still I guess our average is majorly skewed due to 2 games (Leeds and Forest).

Derby County - 23228

Nottm Forest - 23082

Leicester City - 22054

Brighton - 26236

I'd say Brighton's is skewed as its a new stadium which fans will want to visit and on the coast which is always great for families or a piss up

Am I reading this right, your saying an extra 5k tickets sold per game makes no meaningful difference. A conservative estimate would make that over £2 million in ticket sales not to mention the extra merchandise and bovril sales. Quite a lot for a champ club.

Am I reading this right, your saying an extra 5k tickets sold per game makes no meaningful difference. A conservative estimate would make that over £2 million in ticket sales not to mention the extra merchandise and bovril sales. Quite a lot for a champ club.

Yes but we have no idea what the prices are like, what the deals are regarding tickets and whether or not they actually sell that amount..

I was merely pointing out that the difference between attendances such as 5,000 people will have very little effect on where a club stands in position..

You mention it's quite alot for a Champ club, obviously clubs would prefer the extra $2mill, but the real and only relevance is how deep the owners pockets are or how how ambitious they are..

I mean last summer a team average 10,000 people less than us bought our best defender..

attendances would only have an impact at the top end of the PL.. A difference between WHU getting 35,000 and Arsenal getting 60,000.. WHU moving to the Olympic stadium and filling it could be the difference between $15mill and $30mill in revenue which would clearly give them the platform to move on to the next level..

But for the rest of us, 25,000 isn't alot different to 20,000 which isn't alot different to 15,000.. The biggest revenue streams come from how good the team is, which is then hiked up with sponsors and TV deals etc.. Swansea only average 20,000 which is a good 8,000 less than Stoke but I'd wager that Swansea bring in more money than Stoke through on-field matters.. (selling players, European football, TV deals etc.)

Derby County - 23228

Nottm Forest - 23082

Leicester City - 22054

Brighton - 26236

The nearest club to Brighton is about as far away as you are from reality on a good day, whereas you can throw a tea-towel over Derby, Forest and Leicester.

£2m yep clubs would love that extra especially as it would be just over 10% of turnover for us (I think based on £18m turnover) and almost 20% of turnover for forest. Hardly insignificant.

You mean hardly significant?

I doubt we're going to jump from 10th in the NPC to 13th in the PL because of an extra $2mill

You mean hardly significant?

I doubt we're going to jump from 10th in the NPC to 13th in the PL because of an extra $2mill

I know what I meant. 20% of turnover for any club is a significant figure. Losing it would mean the need to shed more wages which could drop us from tenth to bottom half

Its not about what gaining it could do its about what losing it (because the trend at the moment is for attendances to fall) could to us

The BBC news web site has published a fans league table this morning which i thought quite interesting.Our gates are slightly down on last season,23,228 compared to 26,020,the highest gate was 33,010 the lowest 20,063. I'm afraid I dont know how to download the article but If someone can There are some interesting comparisons. 

Wouldn't call a drop of more than 10% "slightly down" if my insurance companies put my premiums up by 10% I wouldn't take that as a slight increase by the same token, just means will be harder to bridge the £7 million loss next year

I know what I meant. 20% of turnover for any club is a significant figure. Losing it would mean the need to shed more wages which could drop us from tenth to bottom half

Its not about what gaining it could do its about what losing it (because the trend at the moment is for attendances to fall) could to us

20% is hardly significant if the figure is so low...

But you're right.. It clearly affects us far more than it does other clubs.. The likes of Blackburn for example had a drop of 9,000 plus yet went on to spend more money than they did in the PL..

20% is hardly significant if the figure is so low...

But you're right.. It clearly affects us far more than it does other clubs.. The likes of Blackburn for example had a drop of 9,000 plus yet went on to spend more money than they did in the PL..

in a poorer league with higher turnover than other clubs due to parachute payments so the loss in revenue is a lower percentage of revenue.

Fact is we're the only ones who are ****, but still get high attendances.

Away from home yes, at home our form was right up there with the top 6. You can say it wasn't very entertaining but how many clubs in England can say hand on heart we were entertaining at home all season? We out scored the top 4......even Sammon bagged a couple ;)

Away from home yes, at home our form was right up there with the top 6. You can say it wasn't very entertaining but how many clubs in England can say hand on heart we were entertaining at home all season? We out scored the top 4......even Sammon bagged a couple ;)

Doesn't seem to reflect though. For me anyway...

You don't tend to isolate the one or the other.

Archived