brian "goal machine" clough

SuperSheep

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick fact as I honestly never new that Brian Clough was as good footballer as he was a manager, just looked up his wiki to see that he got 251 GOALS in 274 games, which I think is phenomenal.

R.I.P a true legend.

his career was cut shot by injury..

There's a clip somewhere ont net of his injury, think it was a keeper who took him out and fooked his knee up. Unbelievable goal scoring record.

Chris Harker of Bury. Not a nice thing to have resting on your shoulders, but of course it was in THAT winter, and the pitch was ice-bound.

Malaysia in 1962? that must have been different!! (I live there now)

Yes, it was before independence. We lived in Kluang and for a kid it was pretty exciting. No-one was quite sure if the emergency would kick off again - the insurgency ended just before we arrived and kicked off again after we left although it was still pretty active over in Borneo right through the period we were in Malaya (1961 - 1964).

There were still relics of WWII to be found - my father was on patrol near Gunung Lambak and they stumbled across a shack in the jungle. He and his platoon carefully had a mooch around to check there was no old explosives - and found a pair of Samurai swords. Not just the standard Japanese army issue ones with the bamboo handles which had rotted away - these were craftsman jobs with amazing embroidery on the blades. I got the job of cleaning and polishing them - and they were still so sharp after having been in the jungle for the best part of 20 years that I cut myself quite badly on one.    

Yes, it was before independence. We lived in Kluang and for a kid it was pretty exciting. No-one was quite sure if the emergency would kick off again - the insurgency ended just before we arrived and kicked off again after we left although it was still pretty active over in Borneo right through the period we were in Malaya (1961 - 1964).

There were still relics of WWII to be found - my father was on patrol near Gunung Lambak and they stumbled across a shack in the jungle. He and his platoon carefully had a mooch around to check there was no old explosives - and found a pair of Samurai swords. Not just the standard Japanese army issue ones with the bamboo handles which had rotted away - these were craftsman jobs with amazing embroidery on the blades. I got the job of cleaning and polishing them - and they were still so sharp after having been in the jungle for the best part of 20 years that I cut myself quite badly on one.    

Malaya got independence in 57 didn't it? With sabah, Sarawak and Singapore following 5-6 years later to form Malaysia, anyway I have seen loads of photos of it and stuff on tv here, looks like a real wild west. Have you ever been back?

That might get in the news these days, "careless soldiers give boy sword to clean" with a photo of your cut

Brian had a brilliant footballing career cut short by a horrific injury.

It was this injury which is said to have helped in making him such a firm disciplinarian with unfailing loyalty to his players.

He loathed cheating and dangerous players who got the man if they couldn't get the ball. He used to say that to injure a player was to endanger his livelihood.

I remember that he would never allow players on the pitch without shinpads.

From his early days as a player days as a player he often upset folk with his massive self-confidence and self-belief. The thing was that this was not bigheadedness but fact! There aren't many you can say that about!

When you score 251 goals in 274 you have a right to be outspoken about your own abilities, you've earned it. Don't think you will ever get a parochial team winning the European Cup in back to back seasons never mind in the first place, the Sky Sports dollar has changed all of that now for good

Malaya got independence in 57 didn't it? With sabah, Sarawak and Singapore following 5-6 years later to form Malaysia, anyway I have seen loads of photos of it and stuff on tv here, looks like a real wild west. Have you ever been back?

That might get in the news these days, "careless soldiers give boy sword to clean" with a photo of your cut

31 August 1963.

"Merdeka Malaysia before the sun goes down", they used to say. British forces remained for a few years after that. Never ben back - I will though as soon as I retire.

Just a quick fact as I honestly never new that Brian Clough was as good footballer as he was a manager, just looked up his wiki to see that he got 251 GOALS in 274 games, which I think is phenomenal.

R.I.P a true legend.

Grab a copy of 'Clough The Autobiography', it's a must read for every Rams fan.

His regretful line about Derby should have had more success than what Liverpool had in the 70's and 80's brings a tear to the eye. He also made it bloody obvious that the success he had at Florist meant less than what he did and should have done at Derby

Well, let me know if you ever make it over and fancy a look over borneo side, I'm sure I will still be here.

Cheers.

Archived