Paypal question

Ram@Lincoln

Wondering if you internet boffins can give some advise.

I've recently bought online and received some spare car parts (only boring screws, caps and strips if you're interested), they were ridiculously cheap (about a 10% of the going price). Since receiving delivery, I've had a email from the company saying that they were wrongly priced and they'll be taking the extra from my bank account.

Here's where I need your advice, I paid via paypal. From my understanding/how paypal was explained to me, it's basically a box that I pay money into then the seller takes it out and they can only take out what I put in. Is this correct? Is there any way that the car company can take the extra they are demanding. Obviously I haven't agreed to the price increase or will agree and as I've already got the parts can they do anything as the transaction is completed?

Thanks.

*edit* I've just looked on my paypal account and the transaction is still on 'pending' from when I made the order on the 23rd.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about paypal but have you got a email/receipt of the order with the price you agreed on? I know you say you won't agree with price increase but if they do take extra money out then they are breaking the law. Products must be sold at the price advertised. If they have put the price to low then they must sell it at that price  

Yeah it is like a box you pay into and that's like your balance but have you linked a bank account, credit or debit card to your account? Did you pay with the money you had transfered into your paypal balance or instant bank transfer? Also one thing I learnt the hard way, never pay for anything as a 'gift' not unless they're family or friend but then again why would you send them money  :lol:

You should be alright mate, especially with you already having the parts, I'd just keep a close eye on the payments made page just incase. 

You authorise any payments to Paypal and then the company you are buying the goods from receive the payment from them - I can't see how the company can take an extra from your Paypal account as you would have to authorise another payment from your credit card to Paypal for this to happen. Paypal are very good at mediating in issues such as this, if you have a copy of the original invoice then the company selling the goods don't have a leg to stand on, you agreed the price with them, they can't retrospectively say the price has now increased. If you've got the parts as advertised and you have a copy of the agreed sale price then you're sorted.

As said above, if you paid the price advertised and money changed hands, or in this case accounts, you're all good. 

Similar thing happened to me, after I'd paid for an item, money changed hands, and 10 minutes later I got told I had to pay an extra £25.

I believe PayPal also hold onto the money for 14 days, with regards to while your transaction is still 'pending'

Ah right, that's very reassuring they can't take any extra from my account. The bits are fitted on my car so aren't going to be going back.

I always do a print screen of internet order confirmations, I have a confirmation/invoice sent via email aswell. I think I'll just go down the ignore route and ignore any emails/letters they send me. As you all have said, I've completed my part of the transaction having paid the original requested amount (as well as £8 for a pricey P&P!). If they have no way of accessing additional funds I'll just sit back, ignore them and keep a eye on my bank account just in case.

The parts were new original/authentic manufacturer ones not used ones off a scrap yard which I usually get but I'm selling the car so wanted all new just in case of problems further down the line. My local car dealership/garage priced the bits at £95 and I paid £15 in total so I definitely don't want to pay £80 more!

Thanks everyone for your help.  :)

Which also tells you what a bloody rip off dealerships are!

As with the comments above mate, as long as you've got your receipt/invoice they can't ask for more, and certainly can't 'extract' money from your Paypal account unless you say so.

They will need to raise another invoice or claim, which you simply refuse to authorise. They've obviously messed up and just trying it on in the hope you are stupid enough to pay them the extra!

Quick update for you all, this morning I received a phone call from the company saying that "they'll let me off on this occasion out of goodwill." They claim the price should have been around £50, so still a considerable discount when compared with the dealerships. Why do car pieces have to be so expensive? Should have just bought a load of sticky tape...

Boycie - regarding the P&P, the whole order was sent in two separate padded envelopes with the a large letter frank on each.  A little research on the Royal Mail website shows they range in price from 71p to £1.87 depending on weight. The postage would have been acceptable at £4 not £8!

Quick update for you all, this morning I received a phone call from the company saying that "they'll let me off on this occasion out of goodwill." !

Good face saving reply, as long as they think that's the truth that's all that matters I suppose lol

its impossible for them to take more money, 

paypal cant process payments without your authority, 

if it was there error on the website, they shouldnt of sent them in the first place, at which point they could of fully refunded, 

but after you have received the goods and paid you own them end of. 

Quick update for you all, this morning I received a phone call from the company saying that "they'll let me off on this occasion out of goodwill." They claim the price should have been around £50, so still a considerable discount when compared with the dealerships. Why do car pieces have to be so expensive? Should have just bought a load of sticky tape...

Boycie - regarding the P&P, the whole order was sent in two separate padded envelopes with the a large letter frank on each.  A little research on the Royal Mail website shows they range in price from 71p to £1.87 depending on weight. The postage would have been acceptable at £4 not £8!

arh well, if its less than 25mm thick your raite.

Packet prices have gone up, amtellinthee!

I've just had a look on my paypal account and the payment is still on 'pending'. Does this mean that they haven't charged yet? I've since ordered a book using paypal and that transaction has been completed. It seems strange that they don't want my money even when it's there for them to have.  :huh:

Was just about to suggest that myself :) anyhows there are a few reasons why this could happen, what means did you transfer the money to Paypal by, credit card, direct debit from bank account etc.? It could be that Paypal are waiting for the funds to clear into their account before the vendor can receive the cash from them

Archived