Di Canio new Sunderland Manager

Curtains

There's no doubt the media print things for their own gain, but isn't that beside the point? Fact is we've all seen the salutes and the tattoo and made our minds up based on that, not because it's made the news now or not?

Don't know about others, but it's his own actions which told me as to which direction his thoughts may be - which don't seem favourable I think it's fair to say - not the presses?

Also I'd like to ask how a tat of that particular eagle can be misunderstood? Just trying to understand that bit?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny that the controversy of Di Canio's appointment has got probably more coverage than say, Ched Evans going to jail for rape.

The day he shows he's a racist/facist is that day I say he should be kicked out of football for good. But what behavior has he demonstrated in his capacity of manager to suggest this? Dropped players based on skin colour? Sign players based on skin colour?

None of the above, from what I know, anyway. I'm sure many people have beliefs that are dubious to others. His mistake was talking about them.

It's funny that the controversy of Di Canio's appointment has got probably more coverage than say, Ched Evans going to jail for rape.

The day he shows he's a racist/facist is that day I say he should be kicked out of football for good. But what behavior has he demonstrated in his capacity of manager to suggest this? Dropped players based on skin colour? Sign players based on skin colour?

None of the above, from what I know, anyway. I'm sure many people have beliefs that are dubious to others. His mistake was talking about them.

Let him who is wiithout sin cast the first stone.

The man has a tattoo of Benito Mussolini, Alex. He's saluted the Lazio fans more than once. He attended the funeral of a far-right extremists linked to terrorist attacks...make no mistake about it, this man is a thoroughly unpleasant piece of work and his political views reflect that. If we have a fit and proper persons test for club owners, the same should happen for managers, and he would fail.

He's only distancing himself from fascism because it suits him professionally, but it will take more than a half-baked denial after days of questioning just to get the media off his back to convince me he's fit to manage a football team.

You can't be a fascist and be anything other than far-right. To be honest, I'm actually glad the media is bothered about this.

He had success at Swindon due to having more money than anyone else and more contacts than other League 2 managers. Both those advantages will now go. Short-term or maybe even mid-term, he may work wonders, like Roy Keane did. It won't last.

Duracell I normally like your posts but have to strongly disagree on this one.

Do you not realise the hypocrisy of suggesting Di Canio should not be allowed to manage because of his political views and then suggesting that managers should have fit and proper persons tests to see if their beliefs match yours?!

Would that not be the first step towards only having managers with blonde hair and blue eyes?!

Duracell I normally like your posts but have to strongly disagree on this one.

Do you not realise the hypocrisy of suggesting Di Canio should not be allowed to manage because of his political views and then suggesting that managers should have fit and proper persons tests to see if their beliefs match yours?!

Would that not be the first step towards only having managers with blonde hair and blue eyes?!

I've done this topic to death really and changed my views, but you've misunderstood what I'm saying.

If Di Canio really does sign up for Fascism hook, line and sinker, it would affect his management style in a negative way.

With what I've seen so far, his personal views aren't affecting his decisions, and I'm not sure they did at Swindon either. I don't think people that attend the funerals of fascists or hold racist views are fit people to hold significant public positions (and this is the case in most walks of life) - both points, however, aren't actually true.

There should be a fit and proper persons test for managers, it's obvious that some aren't fit to do so. Now, having thought about the situation some more, Di Canio is either not a Fascist, or a bit of a rubbish one. But if you are a Fascist...it is impossible not to affect the way you manage a sports team. That's the issue, more than the views themselves. If you keep your views to yourself, does it matter? Nope, not at all. But it does when they start mixing with your job.

I've done this topic to death really and changed my views, but you've misunderstood what I'm saying.

If Di Canio really does sign up for Fascism hook, line and sinker, it would affect his management style in a negative way.

With what I've seen so far, his personal views aren't affecting his decisions, and I'm not sure they did at Swindon either. I don't think people that attend the funerals of fascists or hold racist views are fit people to hold significant public positions (and this is the case in most walks of life) - both points, however, aren't actually true.

There should be a fit and proper persons test for managers, it's obvious that some aren't fit to do so. Now, having thought about the situation some more, Di Canio is either not a Fascist, or a bit of a rubbish one. But if you are a Fascist...it is impossible not to affect the way you manage a sports team. That's the issue, more than the views themselves. If you keep your views to yourself, does it matter? Nope, not at all. But it does when they start mixing with your job.

Fair points and understand where you are coming from.

How would you suggest they police this though?

If there was a manager out there that believed that the terrorist attacks on America were justified, would he be allowed to be a manager?

If there was a manager out there that is Israeli and believed what they are doing in Palestine is justified, would he be allowed to be a manager?

The point I am trying to make is that everyone holds their own personal beliefs and just because they conflict with the majority it does not make them wrong.

Fair points and understand where you are coming from.

How would you suggest they police this though?

If there was a manager out there that believed that the terrorist attacks on America were justified, would he be allowed to be a manager?

If there was a manager out there that is Israeli and believed what they are doing in Palestine is justified, would he be allowed to be a manager?

The point I am trying to make is that everyone holds their own personal beliefs and just because they conflict with the majority it does not make them wrong.

Absolutely. I think you've spotted a major flaw in what I'd been saying really....not sure what you can do about the situation, other than be annoyed with Sunderland for stirring all this up. If you ask Di Canio if he's a Fascist, he'd say he's not...and he's then passed the test.

Absolutely. I think you've spotted a major flaw in what I'd been saying really....not sure what you can do about the situation, other than be annoyed with Sunderland for stirring all this up. If you ask Di Canio if he's a Fascist, he'd say he's not...and he's then passed the test.

And even if he said 'yes I am a fascist' what grounds would there to be for stopping him from being a manager?

I fully understand where you are coming from but think we would be on very dodgy grounds adopting the approach you suggest.

And even if he said 'yes I am a fascist' what grounds would there to be for stopping him from being a manager?

I fully understand where you are coming from but think we would be on very dodgy grounds adopting the approach you suggest.

I don't think I actually want to suggest it any more :ph34r:

He's gonna be great.

Swindon played some great stuff from the limited amount of times I saw them. Don't know what they were like the majority of the time. But from what I saw their style was nothing like the quality of the rest of that division.

He's going to be good I think.

If Nigel had of gone then I would have liked this fella.

Archived