If the board were to back Clough in the summer to bring in one premium player,

Derbydave96

Who would it be, realistically!?

Mine would be billy sharp

It's a fair question but you won't get too many sensible answers because it's so difficult. £2m max even if the Board were feeling generous? Who wouldn't be a risk for that kind of money? Perhaps that's the new question when we've done with this one. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh because he wanted to sign that **** cf Gary Hooper but we got outbid.  

I would not allow Clough to sign any striker in. I'm afraid there are still a lot of useless strikers in Ireland and Scotland.

Yeah, Conor Trout

Conor Alevin/Smolt/Sprod/Mort/Grilse/Parr/Samlet.

Yeh,I cheated :p  Only knew Grilse and Jackie Parr.

A) did I say we had, b) how do you know we didn't

The fact is NC wanted to sign him and we couldn't afford him. However feel free to carry on being a pedant.

We have never made a bid for Gary Hooper. Easy.

We have never made a bid for Gary Hooper. Easy.

Must admit that if Clough had faced a 'dilemma' over what to do with his limited funds,and eventually opted to sign Brayford/Bailey etc,I always struggled to see where the funds for a Hooper bid had come from all of a sudden,especially as Clough himself said they wouldn't be bidding because of the number of strikers they had on the books,and their inability to shift same at the time.

A) did I say we had, B) how do you know we didn't

The fact is NC wanted to sign him and we couldn't afford him. However feel free to carry on being a pedant.

But if we got outbid ?

Anyway did we get outbid or was he out of our valuation:-

"We would love Hooper, but the deal has to be right," Clough said this week.

"He has proved himself in the last two seasons, but I don't think it would be right to go back on the principles we have laid down in the last 18 months.

"If it is a good deal fee-wise and contract-wise then, yes, we would certainly be interested. But if they are going above our valuation of him, then we will walk away and move onto the next target."

However even I admit that this is Clough bashing for the sake of it, we never had the funds for a 2.5m striker.

Link?

I just remember Clough said that Sharp does not worth 1-1,5 million pounds.  

I've no link,but I seem to remember Clough saying he was a player we liked.

Yes we liked him but 1-1,5m "was not the right deal".

Which might be interpreted as 'rather more cash than we had'.Got the fans excited for a while though.A bit like "Judge us by our actions".

Archived