Embarrassing and predictable

rammieib

It's worth noting when Theo was in the box with Sammon (against an admittedly poor Blackpool team) we looked dangerous every time we went forwards.

And against Birmingham we actually looked dangerous when the box actually had a few players in/around it too.

We essentially need someone next to Sammon, Theo got 9 goals and then has been pretty much dropped. I realise his form went but he should be playing every other week for me, there's a reason he had 9 goals, even if it's just down to him being in the right place at the right time. (I'm aware he was ill today so obviously couldn't play).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was an absolute embarrassment to be a Derby fan. We've played some diabolical football recently and I only see our season getting worse. We won't go down, we won't go up, we won't be close to the play-offs, we don't have the prospect of an exciting cup draw. I see attendances falling, and simply, I question what do we want to even achieve.

Today was so frustrating and made me angry for so many reasons. We are quite possibly the most predictable club in the Championship.

1) if we go 4-5-1, we know Sammon cannot hold a ball up, wins very few flick ons, is unlikely to make surging runs for through balls and is unlikely to be in the middle of the box for potential crosses, instead coming short to try fancy 1-2's. Sammon hasn't had a shot in the last two home games. What kind of £1.2 million striker doesn't even have shots!

2) if Ward is in the wing, he will hide out there. Wait for the Ball to come to him, normally around the half way line. He will try and beat the inevitable doubling up, and sometimes lose possession, sometimes, win a throw in. He won't cross it, because Sammon has come short so no-one to aim a ball for anyway. He doesn't like Roberts going beyond him, so no overlapping full back.

3) if Ward is upfront, again, he doesn't like to make runs through the middle, doesn't believe Sammon will win a flick on, so is static. Inevitably, he drops deeper and deeper because he likes to think he is this creative spark and players are told give him the ball. However, he is too deep, and it doesn't ever lead to anything. He is only a danger when he stays upfront, works on the last defender and does try to progress forward. I.e Forest goal but that was out of nowhere

4) Coutts and Brayford will try and be a good combination and will do lots of little short passes. However, they will progress up the pitch with this but then more than likely lose the ball because Coutts thinks he is Ronaldo and can take everyone on. If they don't lose the possession, it ends up being played across the middle of the park because our ten centre midfielders are all lined up across there like a rugby team. The other way of looking a this is there is no one waiting in the middle of the box for them to cross to.

5) If Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick are fit, they will all play for sure, as Clough doesn't have the balls to leave one of them out. They don't get forward enough and are constantly lined up across the park. In the 4-5-1 formation this guarantees we can play horizontal balls all day but no real progressive threat until Hendrick will try an aggressive run forward. (which recently he has been good at to be fair)

6) Roberts will not win a single header, will get beaten a few times by his man, but otherwise will be steady without adding much.

7) Keogh will feel too much pressure to lead as O'Brien is still too inexperienced at this level with little footballing abilities. (not his fault) This has led to errors creeping into his game recently. We simply won't keep clean sheets at the moment so we need to score multiple times to win.

8) Clough will leave it way too late to make changes, will not change from this horizontal passing game and will certainly not go on the offensive.

9) Coutts will take the majority of set pieces and the crosses will be too loopy and easy to defend. Ward will take all shots now and you know he will be going for power. No creativity, nothing unique, no real quality deliveries etc (ward took some corners today which were good and Hughes took only his second free kick for the club)

10) Sam Rush will remind us once again that £50 million plus has been invested but at the same time remind us there is no money for decent signings or experience.

11) Clough will say we did ok but we have a 17 and 20 year old in centre midfield. His after match press conferences are so blatant and obvious.

Just frustrating, embarrassing and makes me question what we are trying to achieve.

What a great post. Exactly my opinions. EXACTLY. Maybe Clough can't see any of this down at the touchline. Maybe a couple of games sitting with the directors and he will see what we do.

Not many people disagreed to my posts here. Maybe Silks will lol.

I'd disagree with much (not all) of it, but I'm finding the whole thing so depressing I'm struggling to be bothered.

I'll chuck one thing in. Coutts and Brayford have been immense this season, especially when Bryson is in their half of the pitch helping knit little triangles together. To suggest that it doesn't get anywhere because "Coutts thinks he's Ronaldo" and loses it, is untrue and unfair. Coutts has had a couple of bad games, don't make the mistake of forgetting about the 20 odd top ones he's had before that. He's in the top few in the Championship for "assists" this season.

Downloading all your grievances in one rant means you dilute the decent points with bad ones.

At least if we get involved in a relegation battle the season will be mildly more exciting.

Hadn't thought of it that way but you make a good point. It may bring back some of the missing fans too. Let's see where we are in March and then go for either the top 12 or bottom 12.

Archived