nigel's substitution timings

SuperSheep

I dont know if anyone else thinks the same as me but i find myself at most match's sitting in my seat wandering when is he going to make his sub!?!

And yet again today i thought was another good example was bringing theo on in the 77th minute, when the tactic was to hold the ball in mid-feild and dominate the game. It clearly wasn't working for the first hour and still there was no change. its just a topic thats really getting on my nerves and i needed to express my feelings.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is the same manager who 2 weeks ago who brought on Ben Davies and he ended up scoring a goal to settle a game 3-1....

Fair point, but he didnt bring Bavies on to score. He brought Bavies on the help the midfield control the last minutes of the game.

I love Nigel Clough I really do, but i think maybe 4-5-1 wasn't the right choice today. We've played better and tougher teams at home playing 4-4-2 and played well- and got points.

Never mind though, it's behind us now. Lets just hope tp be a little more positive the next few games.

It can go either way, he subbed on Nathan Tyson at the right time against Birmingham and he scored, but I seem to remember no one saying "Well done Nigel, that sub worked! Fantastic!"

Every time we lose it's "Nigel and his sub timing"

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Today, I thought it was too late for Theo to come on, he would of been starting if I was the manager, but I'm not.

20 minutes to go, when our tactics are clearly comming up against a brick wall, he should show a more imagination.

The midfield got so crowded that will hughes ended up standing in between o'connor and keogh in the position where he was least likely to offer much.

To be fair, we could very easily have shipped 3 and 4 if we went too open too early. I'd back NC's timing this week.

The better team won on the night. Nig can only p*** with the d*** he's got.

They weren't the better team.

They could defend and scored off two pieces of crap defending by us.

We were the only team trying to play football. They tried to stop us and break. It worked brilliantly from their perspective. There's more than one way to be the better team.

Don't think subs, formations or tactical shouts would have changed the outcome. Hull were solid, we failed to break them down.

Why bring Theo on? Were we creating chance after chance? Could we get in behind Hull? Could we even get through their midfield?

Say what you want about Nige and his subs tonight, I sometimes agree but it wouldn't have made cock all difference tonight in my opinion. Shove your Theo and 4-4-2 chants right up your *********, actually made the game more comfortable for Hull. Congrats Derby fans.

Don't think subs, formations or tactical shouts would have changed the outcome. Hull were solid, we failed to break them down.

Why bring Theo on? Were we creating chance after chance? Could we get in behind Hull? Could we even get through their midfield?

Say what you want about Nige and his subs tonight, I sometimes agree but it wouldn't have made cock all difference tonight in my opinion. Shove your Theo and 4-4-2 chants right up your *********, actually made the game more comfortable for Hull. Congrats Derby fans.

You've answered your own point and contradicted yourself. Hull ended up playing a ridiculously high line because they knew that with only Sammon on we wouldn't get behind them. We weren't creating enough chances because every time Sammon had the ball he had three hull defenders and no derby players around him, what made the game more comfortable for hull is derby simply continuing doing the same thing that wasn't really working. At least when we did finally have two strikers on the pitch we won some corners and had the ball in their area.

but if absolutely nothing was happening with our current tactic of 4-5-1, why not change it as we was already 2-1 down. I beleive at home we should have 2 up front and be more agressive as the hull team wouldnt give a rats arse if we cant even get past their midfeild!

Hull's back line were pushed so far up the pitch we were gaggin for a bit of pace to get behind them.

Theo could have made the difference today, then again maybe not. Just my opinion.

Same tactic for 77 minutes which didn't create a single opening is bewildering.

Hull fully deserved that. Bruce scouted us to aplomb, put some tactics in and they were perfect.

Brilliant delivery for the corner, unlike Coutts with his balls which have ridiculous hang time.

Isn't theo our top goal scorer so he is our best bet at a shot of drawing the game?

You've answered your own point and contradicted yourself. Hull ended up playing a ridiculously high line because they knew that with only Sammon on we wouldn't get behind them. We weren't creating enough chances because every time Sammon had the ball he had three hull defenders and no derby players around him, what made the game more comfortable for hull is derby simply continuing doing the same thing that wasn't really working. At least when we did finally have two strikers on the pitch we won some corners and had the ball in their area.

Same happened last week and we won 2-0...

Compare the space we were given away last week for players like Jacobs, Coutts, Roberts etc to get their crosses in to tonight, a big, big difference. We didn't fail to create chances because Sammon had 3 players on him, we failed to create them because Hull were very organised, didn't allow anyone on the pitch in their half a second on the ball. Blocked our crosses, broke down our forward play. They were just a good team at stopping us play.

It's the first time I've seen the Coutts-Brayford partnership really snuffed, they did a top job on stopping us down the right.

We didn't need a goalscorer tonight, we needed someone in the middle to open them up.

Isn't theo our top goal scorer so he is our best bet at a shot of drawing the game?

Quite right, when you've got the ball in the oppositions half and are creating chances. He's not going to score you a goal out of nothing, you need to feed him. Can't say we put many crosses in all game nevermind after Theo came on. That and the fact he has no awareness when it comes to flick ons, get near your strike partner for crying out loud!

We needed someone to break Hull down, going to 4 in midfield made their last few a lot more easier.

I don't think anyone on our bench tonight could have done any different. Jacobs who I thought was poor was probably our best bet of creating something and he went off...

Quite right, when you've got the ball in the oppositions half and are creating chances. He's not going to score you a goal out of nothing, you need to feed him. Can't say we put many crosses in all game nevermind after Theo came on. That and the fact he has no awareness when it comes to flick ons, get near your strike partner for crying out loud!

We needed someone to break Hull down, going to 4 in midfield made their last few a lot more easier.

I don't think anyone on our bench tonight could have done any different. Jacobs who I thought was poor was probably our best bet of creating something and he went off...

When he came on, he got us the corners at the end and caused some mayhem in there defence. Im not saying that he is reliable, but he has a higher chance of grabbing lucky goals as we have seen throughout his years here at derby...

When he came on, he got us the corners at the end and caused some mayhem in there defence. Im not saying that he is reliable, but he has a higher chance of grabbing lucky goals as we have seen throughout his years here at derby...

You're absolutely right and I wish he would have but there weren't the opportunities for him to do that, there weren't any beforehand either. Theo's a good player to have if you're putting balls into the oppo's box. We hardly got in their box in the second half. Apart from the odd corner and Coutt's chance/penalty shout I can't remember much. Did Sammon even touch the ball in Hull's box in the second half? I can't remember anyone getting in there for something to happen like it normally does when Theo scores.

I just think you have to hand it to Hull tonight, they didn't give us a sniff for the most part. A goal hanging striker wouldn't of made a difference if that second half was played another 10 times. In my opinion of course...

Archived