nigel's substitution timings

SuperSheep

I think with Theo we would have been more direct. Sammon won some headers when we did go direct but he is isolated. We didn't put anything into the box because we never had anyone in the box, so we continued to pass or what happened every so often, we tried to dribble it through. Everyone was guilty of that tonight.

I doubt we would had the quality to supply Theo but I think it's wrong not to change something which obviously was not working.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pffft. We played better 4-5-1. When Theo came on we couldn't get the ball forward most of the time. I honestly don't know what to say. We play well at 4-5-1, but we haven't got the midfielders to score the goals, and Sammon isn't prolific. If we had Ward back, or Bueno, or Tom Ince then we'd be excellent playing 4-5-1...but we just don't have that player. Oh well. Happy Christmas!!!

Sammon v 3 of the best central defenders in the league

How was that ever going to work?

We huffed and puffed and watched every single attack breakdown.

Sometimes you have to try plan b.

I missed the game last night but I've always been frustrated with Cloughs reluctance to make any subs earlier than the 75th minute.

He seems to only use subs for an impact late on and doesnt seem to agree with changing the team or formation in the second half if things aren't working. I find it really strange.

Coutts again failed to utilize Brayford. Sammon needs to start playing across the line. He needs to be in line with a defenders shoulder facing the touchline and in the direction of the goal looking at the player in possession of the ball. Dip in and out of the defender and then choose whether he is going to run inside of him or outside of him. It really is not difficult to do.

Coutts again failed to utilize Brayford. Sammon needs to start playing across the line. He needs to be in line with a defenders shoulder facing the touchline and in the direction of the goal looking at the player in possession of the ball. Dip in and out of the defender and then choose whether he is going to run inside of him or outside of him. It really is not difficult to do.

.....even when you are marked by three players with no-one else to worry about........yeah sure.

.....even when you are marked by three players with no-one else to worry about........yeah sure.

Nonsense. Perhaps you should learn what marking is. As an attacker you isolate defenders. Just because you have one up front doesn't mean you have the entire defense marking that player. Why do you think Theo has bagged so many this season.He sits on the shoulder of defenders more now than he ever did last season. The best current striker at doing this is Defoe. He can win a match without ever touching the ball, by isolating defenders and creating space.

I think that Theo or Tyson should have been brought on but Hughes needed to be taken off earlier as he was clearly struggling and was not his usual self. Perhaps surprisingly i think we needed fresh legs to the midfield to distribute the ball and i think Gjokaj could have been that player..has played it for the U21's and seems like a leader..I think yesterday would have been a prefect opportunity with nothing to lose to try him out especially as we had a spare substitution

Nonsense. Perhaps you should learn what marking is. As an attacker you isolate defenders. Just because you have one up front doesn't mean you have the entire defense marking that player. Why do you think Theo has bagged so many this season.He sits on the shoulder of defenders more now than he ever did last season. The best current striker at doing this is Defoe. He can win a match without ever touching the ball, by isolating defenders and creating space.

Thank you jimmy hill........

winning the match without touching the ball........i'm sure that the ball becomes relevant at some point.

Or have i been getting it wrong all these years.

I think that Theo or Tyson should have been brought on but Hughes needed to be taken off earlier as he was clearly struggling and was not his usual self. Perhaps surprisingly i think we needed fresh legs to the midfield to distribute the ball and i think Gjokaj could have been that player..has played it for the U21's and seems like a leader..I think yesterday would have been a prefect opportunity with nothing to lose to try him out especially as we had a spare substitution

Would like to see Gjokaj given a chance he's looked good when I've seen him

We never lose playing 442 with Theo up top do we?

Seriously, Hull are good and organised. When "Theo, Theo, Theo" came on I was expecting him to bring the ball down on the back of his ankle, nutmeg 3 defenders, cross the ball and get on the end of it with a bicycle kick.

"442, 442, 442" yes, will bringing on another striker help Bryson do something of note? Will it heal Hughes ankle? Will it stop Hull from defending really well v Coutts/Brayford?

So we don't like hoofball because we don't "get it down and play it"

We don't like possession football because "we just aren't causing them problems"

So all we really want is free flowing attacking football on the deck with players ghosting past defenders and neat passes through 7 men? Ring Nigel, tell him that's what we should be doing. Like Bayern Munich? Sweet.

I'm not saying Nigel couldn't of changed it. I'm saying we played pretty damn well against a good side. A good side that don't lose away. We created as much as them. We moved the ball better than them. We were punished for 2 moments of poor concentration.

I think "442, 442, 442" has proven it can be equally **** as good over recent years. Theo has played his fair share in defeats. There was no definite answer to unlocking Hull last night. They are about as good as we'll face. They were top 6 material before a ball was kicked in August.

442 and Theo? Yeeeeeeeaaaah. Hull won't be used to facing that dramatic change!

451 matched them.

442 might of beaten them. It might of lost 6-0 to them. I doubt it's that simple.

I heard last night...

"I'd rather lose 5-0 and have a go than lose 2-1 and not try"

Oh right? What's having a go? Hoofball or football? Oh it's that Bayern Munich/Real Madrid approach? Fast free flowing attacks using everyday talents Ribery, Robben and Ronaldo?

Rather lose 5-0 than control a game against a genuine Championship heavyweight, create as much and only lose to two silly errors and clinical finishing?

Alright then duck. I'd rather match Hull than lose 5-0 to them. It's away against P'Boro when we sit deep for 90mins and play clumsily where I want us to just have a go. Not at home more than matching a team better than us.

And they say Bris has ridiculous expectations?

Play like that every week for me. Minor niggles to sort out. Overall, good play v a good team.

Unlucky Derby.

"Theo, Theo, Theo," ..,. He'll be a donkey next time he plays.

We were the only team trying to play football. They tried to stop us and break. It worked brilliantly from their perspective. There's more than one way to be the better team.

I agree that Hull executed their tactics perfectly - right down to the scrape of studs down the back of Will's achilles after 15 minutes. Professional from first to last.

Archived