Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

Havent you realised that Bris is a fan of football ahead of being a fan of Derby?

Can you not see the link between the best teams and possession football?

Generally, the better teams keep the ball the best, Bris wants Derby to keep the ball better, thus meaning Derby do better, thus meaning we might stop finishing in the same position season after season.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough has never signed hoof type players. He signs (or loans) players like Bueno, Tom Cywka, Tom Carroll, Barry Bannan, Michael Jacobs, Paul Coutts, Bryson, Bailey, Brayford, Shackell, Keogh, Ward etc, etc, If he wanted to play hoofball he'd have signed 7 foot giants.

GSE, give the bloke £5m to spend and a competitive wage budget and we'd walk this league playing like the Brazil team of 1970.

Clough has never signed hoof type players. He signs (or loans) players like Bueno, Tom Cywka, Tom Carroll, Barry Bannan, Michael Jacobs, Paul Coutts, Bryson, Bailey, Brayford, Shackell, Keogh, Ward etc, etc, If he wanted to play hoofball he'd have signed 7 foot giants.

GSE, give the bloke £5m to spend and a competitive wage budget and we'd walk this league playing like the Brazil team of 1970.

He bought Sammon, who was never bought in to benefit our passing football.

If he was, you have to question whether Clough ever watched him play, cos he cant trap a bag of cement.

No he didn't, he makes the majority of his posts for a reaction, anyone who is a derby fan would have enjoyed today's game, English football is not just about passing or hoofing, it's the passion and excitement no other league can match.

Of course you do have the odd person who claims to be a supporter, yet instead of enjoying the game has time to count the number of passes at a certain point of the game, who gives a monkeys when you win, it makes sitting in the cold and rain worth while.

I'm not cloughs biggest fan, but when they win I don't care how they do it, I just enjoy the moment. If I want to see a football match with lots if passing I will go and get one of those groupon offers, yup the greatest team ever can't even sell all their seats, shows what there own fans think of that brand of football.

You only enjoyed it because we won? What would you have said had we drawn the game? I was commenting on the game from a football perspective and in patches it was very poor and rather unforgettable.. The first 70 minutes and the last 20 minutes were polar opposites.. If you had said at 70 minutes and the score 1-0 that it would finish 3-2 you'd probably be taken to a mental hospital.. The last 20 minutes were entertaining for the goals and mistakes alone.. I also loved the chants of 'who are ya' changing hands 4 times during that 20 minute spell..

But the football was ordinary and only two or three times did I see a nice passage of play from either team..

I spend my time watching football to be entertained.. So many styles can entertain me and seriously I become morbid infront of a screen with a game going on.. People talk to me and I'm so focussed on what's going on I sometimes completely ignore them subconsciously.. But watching NPC football is draining, it really is an average standard and I genuinely feel sorry for the guys who think this is as good as it gets (or that it's good passing football).. It really isn't..

We could do so much better.. But by doing so much better we'd need a new management team because under this one we'll only ever play this percentage football.. I'll give it a few more seasons and more average football before the fans really start to give up..

Also the fact that we're pinning all our hopes on a 17 year old goes to show just how unexciting we've become..

Havent you realised that Bris is a fan of football ahead of being a fan of Derby?

Can you not see the link between the best teams and possession football?

Generally, the better teams keep the ball the best, Bris wants Derby to keep the ball better, thus meaning Derby do better, thus meaning we might stop finishing in the same position season after season.

Nope the teams that get out this league either buy their way out, or they play to their strengths, that is what clough is trying to do, it doesn't work always but comparing our style to Spanish, Mexican or Timbuktu teams is irreverent.

Yet!

I keep telling myself that too. In the meantime 2 goals will help. He needs to do more and more often though. Otherwise I don't really see much of a future with him do you?

I don't want to be thinking about Savies come March.

I think Sammon was Nigel's "Kuqi".

The wonder of Kuqi was we could get it forward very quickly and the begin playing football from high up.

It's not quite worked like that though has it?

Kuqi benefited from having Commons close to him, Kuqi also had a better touch than Sammon, still not great but better.

If we had Hughes when we had Commons we'd be a better side. Hughes looks/plays so many forward balls to players just in that gap between the oppositions midfield and defence. Sadly, for us at the moment, that player is usually one of our strikers.

It's irrelevant who he buys.. The guy could buy the Barcelona B team but his style is percentage football.. That means spending as little time in the defensive third as possible and cut out the midfield instead of using them to build attacks..

SAF once said the midfield is the most important part of the team.. It's used to protect and to build.. Clough uses it to protect nothing else..

Even when we had a team available with the likes of Cywka, Bueno, Bailey, Brayford, Commons etc. he completely abdandoned the use of the midfield to play this percentage survival football..

All he's done over the past 4 years is improve the squad bit by bit and change personnel and formations.. But the style remains the same..

I keep telling myself that too. In the meantime 2 goals will help. He needs to do more and more often though. Otherwise I don't really see much of a future with him do you?

I don't want to be thinking about Savies come March.

I want him to do well and I think he can it'll just take time. Perseverance is the key with him. He'll improve. We don't look as good when he's not playing.

As for savies, he a different type of player he could score but was injury prone and IMO lazy, but he scores. I wouldve liked him to stay but oh well.

But watching NPC football is draining, it really is an average standard and I genuinely feel sorry for the guys who think this is as good as it gets (or that it's good passing football).. It really isn't..

We could do so much better.. But by doing so much better we'd need a new management team because under this one we'll only ever play this percentage football.. I'll give it a few more seasons and more average football before the fans really start to give up..

Compared to what Bris? Arsenal, Barca? I agree. Compared to the rest of the league were in, we're pretty good.

It's common knowledge the NPC is a very average league from a football point of view, why would you expect any more? People don't watch NPC football for it's passing, flowing football. They watch it because it's one of the best leagues around for excitement, competitiveness and drama.

I want him to do well and I think he can it'll just take time. Perseverance is the key with him. He'll improve. We don't look as good when he's not playing.

As for savies, he a different type of player he could score but was injury prone and IMO lazy, but he scores. I wouldve liked him to stay but oh well.

With Savies though he could hang on to anything played into his feet. The perfect partner for Theo. complete opposites.

I wouldn't call him lazy myself. He just didn't see why he should chase loose balls and look busy. He had arrogance that I wish more of our players could be accused of. Arrogance is as important to a footballer as a boxer IMO.

But yeah, he's gone and now we have Sammon. Fingers crossed

Compared to what Bris? Arsenal, Barca? I agree. Compared to the rest of the league were in, we're pretty good.

It's common knowledge the NPC is a very average league from a football point of view, why would you expect any more? People don't watch NPC football for it's passing, flowing football. They watch it because it's one of the best leagues around for excitement, competitiveness and drama.

No, not compared to them.. Again that's an exaggeration as I clearly don't expect that..

And you're the right, the NPC borders from average to dire in terms of quality... The fact people wet themselves of a 17 year old who can find a white shirt with ease is proof of this..

Who exactly watches the NPC for those qualities? Only fans of NPC clubs.. You'd rarely find fans outside of the NPC that watch it for the excitement or the buzz because it lacks both.. Honestly, hand up, who watches games in the NPC and thought 'wow this is really good' when we were in the PL? I doubt anyone even bothered to look at the league table let alone plan time to watch the games..

We've played good football, on the floor, pass and move and used technical players before under 2 different managers at this level.. is it too much to ask for that again? Am I being greedy wanting this? Or is this really the best we can hope for?

Who exactly watches the NPC for those qualities? Only fans of NPC clubs.. You'd rarely find fans outside of the NPC that watch it for the excitement or the buzz because it lacks both.. Honestly, hand up, who watches games in the NPC and thought 'wow this is really good' when we were in the PL? I doubt anyone even bothered to look at the league table let alone plan time to watch the games..

Me

And bris you need to hey your arse down to PP them you will see why we covert him so much.

I'd put myself in that bracket of watching NPC games whilst in the PL, even LG1 and 2. Luckily for me I can watch football for the crack and just enjoy it. I enjoy watching my mates play for the likes of Carlton Town, Worksop etc, I like football in general and i'm sure theres a few out there that are like me. People enjoy different things in football I guess.

In answer to your last question, no it's not too much to ask for. I think there's progress being made though, as slow as it is and I'm happy to see it continue whilst it is still progress.

Bris Vegas,

The thing I don't understand is, you constantly slate the Championship, saying how boring and lacking in quality and excitement it is, so why on earth do you waste your time continuing to watch it??

You clearly don't enjoy it in the slightest so you may as well go and do something else, and perhaps come back when we start playing the style of football you seem to be demanding.

As for me, I thought today was an exciting game and thoroughly enjoyed it! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I honestly don't see much fun in being so continuously miserable and down on the management abd players. If I started hating it as much as Bris Vegas, I'd probably find something else to do with my time, rather than first enduring the game and then going on message boards trying to justify why everything is so **** after a decent win.

I only watch live Championship games when Derby play or play-off final, but love following the scores on Soccer Saturday and online, used to watch other games but not a fan of the quality but it is because of that games become more unpredictable as there is not much seperating the teams. Every game in winnable in this league!

For others in the league, actually I'm enjoying Bolton, Ipswich, Brum, Leeds, Wolves and Blackburn's lack of form this season and tipping my hat to Palace, Millwall, Boro and Brighton, Huddersfield. Cardiff strong starters as always, 9 home wins in 9, but will they choke again? Away form a bit dodgy.

cracking league we've got.... first half today we played some nice stuff..... great game. listen to the interviews after.... buxton sammon and clough.... not showering each other with praise...just saying how good they feel as a team... 'honestly' mentioned (despite jacobs booking. didnt dive!) team work.... effort for each other. Without building a team of amazing footballers or whatever it is that we think we want, theyve started building a team that you can support properly. that play for each other like a team would and blah blah and so on,.... i dont mean to lecture.. but all the things you like about football that is missing from the modern game. f*ck the premiership. its not about being the best.... its about feeling a connection with you team. how many man utd fans can say that? or barca... or chelsea PARRRRRRRP! its class. clough is doing alright. championship is a really good league. Happiest season as a Ram for ages. they are a competitive team. the embarrasment is slowly oing away. and dont say you werent.... we all know we/you were. happy days ahead

Archived