James McClean threatened to be killed

Cisse

He should play in Ireland and not over here if he feels so anti-British, the c0ck

I don't understand why it's anti-British to refuse to wear a poppy.

There is a bullying attitude in this country that says that there is something bad about you if you don't conform in an outwardly visible way.

I don't wear a poppy either.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he does feel alienated from the uk and the british then why does he feel it appropriate to live here and benefit from the opportunities available to people from derry, or dublin etc.

Does it not occur to him that maybe we afford him more courtesy and more opportunity than maybe he warrants.

If he has some anti-british pro-republican sentiments then it would be hypocritical for him to move to the mainland and benefit from the opportunities Britain offers to people.

I'm the first to wear a poppy as an act of remembrance to family members whose names are etched on my town's war memorial. The fact that those men were first generation Irish immigrants who died fighting for Britain during WW1 does not diminish their heroism.

Before we burn James McLean at the stake we should take a second to realise that old wounds run deep and if he has a personal reason for not wearing a poppy then that is his choice.

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance but sadly some see it as glorifying war.

When wearing a poppy becomes compulsory I will refuse to wear mine.

If he has some anti-british pro-republican sentiments then it would be hypocritical for him to move to the mainland and benefit from the opportunities Britain offers to people.

You're presuming he does. It may just hurt him personally to wear a poppy and perhaps be reminded of dark times for his family and friends.

And deserving a beating? To quote a wise man "The problem I have with violence is that when it does good the good it does is temporary, the bad it does is enduring"

Well whilst you might or might not chose to wear a poppy, its another thing to refuse to wear a poppy when asked to do so.

Its disrespectual to your club; to the country you have chosen to live in; and to the people who died to fight for the freedoms and liberties in the county you chose to live in etc.

Having said that i don't really believe that football should be used as a vehicle for politics.

We love our hatred and bigotry over here Cisse!

I'm not sure there is any bigotry going on. I also don't believe anyone will actually love the hatred but I think both sides are entitled to it. The wars are always pure hurting both ways. Not easy to understand and almost impossible to forgive.

Well whilst you might or might not chose to wear a poppy, its another thing to refuse to wear a poppy when asked to do so.

Its disrespectual to your club; to the country you have chosen to live in; and to the people who died to fight for the freedoms and liberties in the county you chose to live in etc.

Having said that i don't really believe that football should be used as a vehicle for politics.

I don't agree its disrespectful to your club or country. I see it differently, we are in danger of forcing poppy wearing on people.

Its disrespectful to burn poppies like that ******** did on facebook or the muslim extremists did a few years back in Luton. Its not disrespectful to a football club or indeed the country not to wear one.

Football clubs should not have them on their shirts in my opinion. Have them on show at the stadium, make a huge donation, but don't force it on everyone.

Raise money for the British Legion and remember the dead. If we politicise the poppy we become extremist and fundamentalist to others - something most of us abhor.

Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and I can't remember it ever being a mandatory thing.

I wear mine with pride and would'nt stigmatise anyone for not wearing one either. It's not as if he's ranted about it or intentionally upset anyone personally, he's just quietly not worn it........

Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and I can't remember it ever being a mandatory thing.

I wear mine with pride and would'nt stigmatise anyone for not wearing one either. It's not as if he's ranted about it or intentionally upset anyone personally, he's just quietly not worn it........

Top attitude fella...... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

Archived