Will Hughes

DcFc Dyycheee

I think Hughes and indeed the club would be considered quite brave if they were to resist top-flight interest in the coming weeks and months.

History shows us that young British players with potential on the level of a Bale, Ramsey, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain or Powell don't necessarily need a full season of first-team football under their belts before the offers flood in and become too good to resist.

In my mind, I don't see why Hughes would be in any rush to move. He's 17, this is his first full season of first-team football and he's not only an ever-present but the focal point of the team. What more could you possibly want at this stage of your career?

I don't think another 12-18 months here would do him any harm at all. Sure we're not the glamorous option but we're the secure option.

In terms of his value, £5 million is a realistic figure and I'd be disappointed if we sold for anything less. But I would hope that the nature of the market and the competition for his signature would drive up the price to somewhere nearer £8 million.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do sell him, say for £5 million, that's a realistic figure, providing the board made sure nigel got the money that's 2 or 3 really decent players, I'd be reluctant to sell Hughes If you'll pardon the pun, but if he gets injuries and fails to recapture his form he could just become another Giles Barnes if you'll pardon the pun.

£5 million:

2.5 million for a decent striker

1 million for a decent Lb,

1.5 million for a decent CM

If you'll pardon the pun.

If we do sell him, say for £5 million, that's a realistic figure, providing the board made sure nigel got the money that's 2 or 3 really decent players, I'd be reluctant to sell Hughes If you'll pardon the pun, but if he gets injuries and fails to recapture his form he could just become another Giles Barnes if you'll pardon the pun.

£5 million:

A new striker is always nice, but we dont need one. Were scoring goals. If we sell Hughes then we definatly need to replace him with a creative midfielder. A new left back is also important

A new striker is always nice, but we dont need one. Were scoring goals. If we sell Hughes then we definatly need to replace him with a creative midfielder. A new left back is also important

Yeah we're scoring goals but we don't have that 20 goal a season striker that would rocket us up the league, Hulse scored like 17/19 goals in 2 seasons, someone like Charlie Austin or Gary Hooper, both players who we've been linked with in the past, I'd pay 2 million for a decent young striker with would be better for us in the long term.

New Lb, I like Cresswell from Ipswich or Aiden White from Leeds, he came on as a sub, he's only 20 and he has brilliant pace.

£5 million:

Wages.

Yeah we're scoring goals but we don't have that 20 goal a season striker that would rocket us up the league, Hulse scored like 17/19 goals in 2 seasons, someone like Charlie Austin or Gary Hooper, both players who we've been linked with in the past, I'd pay 2 million for a decent young striker with would be better for us in the long term.

New Lb, I like Cresswell from Ipswich or Aiden White from Leeds, he came on as a sub, he's only 20 and he has brilliant pace.

White turned us down to stay at dirty leeds. I've said it before, Robinson might not be the best footballer, but he gets in good positions in the box and has got 9 already, 15-20 goals for him is likely especially with Hughes' passing and Coutts and Jacobs crossing

White turned us down to stay at dirty leeds. I've said it before, Robinson might not be the best footballer, but he gets in good positions in the box and has got 9 already, 15-20 goals for him is likely especially with Hughes' passing and Coutts and Jacobs crossing

Theo Robinson is basically a sprinter in a football kit, pace is it for him, he has the worst touch in the squad, he can't run and kick a ball at the same time, and he thinks the goal is 30 feet in the air above the goal post, yeah he scores goals but he's so inconsistent everyone around me in the north stand always groans when he misses, because they are pretty painful misses, I like Sammon, we need a striker who has pace but also has great balance and stamina to flow the ball through midfield, There's some player called Russel who's a cf who plays for Dundee utd who's awesome.

Shame about White.

Hughes is a frustrating one because it's hard to see how good he is now, or how good he can be. People talking 15 million plus are being a bit stupid because that sort of money is for goal scores (priceless commodities) but generally isn't around anymore. The money that was paid for players like Wickham, Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain (IMO) will probably prove its not worth investing that much becau it's a gamble. Players like Moses and Adam Johnson can be found at more reasonable rates in the British market. Another name not mentioned on this thread is Nick Powell. 4 million for Man Utd, but I think we'll see him on loan at a Championship Club soon like Cleverly was.

The key for me is that Hughes is showing he is a class above but he is showing this at Championship Level. Talk of the Premiership is all well and good but it's harder there. Quicker, stronger players for instance.

What I think goes against Hughes is that I don't think the players around him at Derby are anywhere near his own thought process. Hughes is always three steps ahead of everyone. I only think Coutts gets close to him on intelligence. Theo has a negative football IQ, Jacobs is zero, Sammon is ok but his first touch is poor, Hendrick is developing, Bryson just runs etc. If Hughes had some quality players around him. I think he would look even better. Imagine a striker making ten runs a game, or wingers who run the lines, or full backs who want to get forward. Hughes could control games but Cloughs tactics mean we don't get the most return from what I think he could offer.

Bris is right with the points he is getting across although could acknowledge him more. I think he is wrong though about foreign players. Of course there are technically better players in Germany and Spain and Holland and France, however defence is played different there and the pressure on the ball is different. In the UK the pressure is immediate, especially in the attacking half and the ability to control, pass, apply vision, dribble under close control, and run a game is a much more difficult set of skills. That is why a 17 year old doing it is all the more impressive.

It was lovely to see him getting stuck in more and generally having the ball further up the pitch today.

So, do you think that he'll be better going to a bigger club, sooner, rather than later rammieid? because, I'm worried he'll go to some big club and get lost...rather than play for Derby, for another couple of seasons.

I do appreciate him.. He's just not worth anywhere near the 8 figure sum people are throwing around on here at a world market price..

There is nothing wrong with saying that.. It's the truth..

Him and Will are mindblowing eh Curtains? For English standard perhaps.. I see that sort of football from Celta Vigo U19s..

Derby should be proud though.. It's not often a team can produce British youngsters who are so calm and assuring in possession..

Bris, stop preaching about spanish football to us. The majority of us are English and live in England - mostly in the lovely city of Derby. We support our Rams, and we support out country. Maybe you should support your roots too, rather than bumming off Barcelona and Spain. If you support Derby then stop knocking them down when they do well.

The key information you note here is the part '17'

To be 17 years old and playing NPC football is great.. To be 17 years old and looking better than fellow NPC players is brilliant..

But the way people are talking about him it's as if we've got another Fabregas on our books..

I can tell you 100% you can find better players than Will Hughes for $1mill.. Will Hughes may reach the top, but he has about as much potential as thousands of Spanish youngsters on the books of better clubs..

Thousands? Really?

Its impossible to do that. He could find a negative in us winning the champions league. Anything that's good about derby county he takes and says well Spain is much better which makes me think 2 things:

1. Why don't you stick to Spanish football and leave us alone.

2. Derby is in England why are you on about spain?

he comes across intelligent yet so moronic at times! It's not often we have a footballer from our youth team pop up so technically gifted, like I said earlier.. Bob Malcolm. How can anybody say this boy isn't worth millions through his huge potential when the likes of Fabian Delph have gone for a similar fee and haven't seemed half as gifted.

Huh?

We've played 22 games, and have 25+FA Cup games to go.

Robinson has 9. He's on track to get more than 20? Can you count?

Archived