Wilfred Zaha

Ambitious

Erm, any player can look the real deal when young and turn out to be nothing.. Argentina won the Olympics in both 2004 and 2008 and many players were hyped for the bigtime.. Go have a look and tell me how many have made it in Europe let alone 'the big time'

To say someone has been going to Selhurst for 37 years and hasn't seen anyone as good for Palace or the opposition is just barmy and ludicrous.. For starters seems as Palace were in the PL in 2004-05 you would have seen the likes of Henry, Giggs, Pires, Robben and Ronaldo who all played in a similar position..

You can say what you like about the youth of today, but rarely do English youth players get close to being in the worldclass bracket.. Of the past 20 years you'd struggle to find a single English player that has made it to a worldclass standard.. I'd say Lampard and Rooney are the closest you'd find..

Zaha is massively overrated.. I'm not saying he's not a good player, perhaps he's an excellent player for this standard.. But he's getting the same rave reviews as Walcott who IMO is only a decent PL player..

I can't understand what your opinion is founded on? Obviously there are players who dont fulfil their potential, but there are plenty of players who do. You can't dismiss every promising youngster as overrated just because there's a possibility it might not work out.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of replacements, a few of our academy kids,in particular Jon Williams, have looked very promising and hopefully by the time Wilf moves on he'll be ready to step up. I'd much rather see us replace from within and reinvest the funds elsewhere.

It'll be a hell of a player you've got to replace him if the Williams kid can indeed make the step up, given the fee you're likely to recieve, and the possible PL inclusion next year, I suspect you'll need to replace him with a player from elsewhere to keep your momentum going.

Phillips seems the viable alternative, won't take long for him to be linked if you keep the form up as your manager's a fan, Phillips wants PL football and sadly for you guys Ince is way out of your range otherwise Holloway would tak him too.

Zaha will go to the PL for aroud £7-8m in upfront fee's, and futue pay-outs if he progresses. He's definitely not world class, in comparison with this pretty average (even if enjoyable and competetive) league he's a star, with the PL? Not for a while would he be anything other than a hot prospect.

Taarabt smashed this league, look at him now. Adam Hammill formerly of Barnsley was being touted as one of the next big talents to come out of this league, he went to Wolves and even there couldn't stand out. Zaha will take a while to get going, a good three years at the very least in the PL before he looks anything like a star.

Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion that Liverpool may try to nab him, they're lacking options and in Rodgers 4-3-3 formation that he likes nowadays Zaha would have the perfect platform. Seems like an idea....

It'll be a hell of a player you've got to replace him if the Williams kid can indeed make the step up, given the fee you're likely to recieve, and the possible PL inclusion next year, I suspect you'll need to replace him with a player from elsewhere to keep your momentum going.

Phillips seems the viable alternative, won't take long for him to be linked if you keep the form up as your manager's a fan, Phillips wants PL football and sadly for you guys Ince is way out of your range otherwise Holloway would tak him too.

Zaha will go to the PL for aroud £7-8m in upfront fee's, and futue pay-outs if he progresses. He's definitely not world class, in comparison with this pretty average (even if enjoyable and competetive) league he's a star, with the PL? Not for a while would he be anything other than a hot prospect.

Taarabt smashed this league, look at him now. Adam Hammill formerly of Barnsley was being touted as one of the next big talents to come out of this league, he went to Wolves and even there couldn't stand out. Zaha will take a while to get going, a good three years at the very least in the PL before he looks anything like a star.

Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion that Liverpool may try to nab him, they're lacking options and in Rodgers 4-3-3 formation that he likes nowadays Zaha would have the perfect platform. Seems like an idea....

To be fair a lot of our fan base rated Williams as better than Zaha this time last year, but a broken leg on international duty meant Williams' development was somewhat stalled. If he can regain his form he looks every bit as impressive as Zaha.

I completely agree with regards to adapting to the Premiership, Victor Moses being the perfect example. Only now, 3 years after making the step up, is he showing what he can do.

To be fair a lot of our fan base rated Williams as better than Zaha this time last year, but a broken leg on international duty meant Williams' development was somewhat stalled. If he can regain his form he looks every bit as impressive as Zaha.

I completely agree with regards to adapting to the Premiership, Victor Moses being the perfect example. Only now, 3 years after making the step up, is he showing what he can do.

I like to think i've got a decent memory when it comes to players across England but i've absolutely no idea who Williams is or how good he is, i'll make sure to keep an eye out for him whenever I come across a Palace match.

Indeed, might take a little while longer with Zaha I suspect, and even then he may drop down on loan for a little while if he doesn't get much first team football, but he's showing enough right now to say that he has a good chance of making it. I suspect it would've been better for him had he indeed gone to Wigan, they're incredibly patient over there with folk like Moses and Di Santo, would've been the perfect place to improve.

I like to think i've got a decent memory when it comes to players across England but i've absolutely no idea who Williams is or how good he is, i'll make sure to keep an eye out for him whenever I come across a Palace match.

Indeed, might take a little while longer with Zaha I suspect, and even then he may drop down on loan for a little while if he doesn't get much first team football, but he's showing enough right now to say that he has a good chance of making it. I suspect it would've been better for him had he indeed gone to Wigan, they're incredibly patient over there with folk like Moses and Di Santo, would've been the perfect place to improve.

As I said he's been out of action for the best part of a year now with a broken leg, which although is officially 'healed', has resulted in a lot of niggly injuries since which meant he hasn't had a decent run in the team for a while. As I eluded to before this time last year many Palace fans rated him as the better prospect, but Zaha's progress this year has been nothing short of phenomenal, where Williams has hardly been able to play let alone develop.

He's a completely different type of attacking player to Wilf, he's a scrawny 5ft5 Welsh kid, but he has a great turn of pace, and a footballing brain which normally belongs to seasoned pro's. The late Gary Speed described him as 'the future of Welsh football', and he's already been included in the Wales senior squad.

If he can stay fit and re-find that form of last year, I've no doubt he can fill the void left by Wilf's inevitable departure.

As I said he's been out of action for the best part of a year now with a broken leg, which although is officially 'healed', has resulted in a lot of niggly injuries since which meant he hasn't had a decent run in the team for a while. As I eluded to before this time last year many Palace fans rated him as the better prospect, but Zaha's progress this year has been nothing short of phenomenal, where Williams has hardly been able to play let alone develop.

He's a completely different type of attacking player to Wilf, he's a scrawny 5ft5 Welsh kid, but he has a great turn of pace, and a footballing brain which normally belongs to seasoned pro's. The late Gary Speed described him as 'the future of Welsh football', and he's already been included in the Wales senior squad.

If he can stay fit and re-find that form of last year, I've no doubt he can fill the void left by Wilf's inevitable departure.

Well i'm sure if he's as good as you say he is, and cheap, we'd be happy to take him on loan for a few months.... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

If Gary Speed said that about him then i'll deffo keep an eye out for him, not usually one to make mistakes on players was Mr Speed.

Oh, and while it is the Daily Mirror and thus must be taken with a huge pinch of salt, there's a story running in their paper this morning that Mourinho is currently scouting him at Real. So you can notch up that currently fan generated pricetag for a few million more! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

All this nationality ******** makes me laugh.

Lee Camp turning Irish at the age of 28. Zaha can't decide which country is his.

It's pretty fecking simple really.

"Are you English?"

"Non." or "Yes old boy"

Born in the Ivory Coast, raised in England. He must surely have a strong Ivorian identity, built strongly on their values, and at a guess he must have visited so he must feel a strong connection with his roots.

Then again, he must feel English considering he's lived here as long as he can remember, and he shares our values too. Not only that, he must feel like giving something back to the country that's given him his career.

I know you're just using Camp as an example, but this is a very genuine case of a young man deciding where his identity lies.

Well i'm sure if he's as good as you say he is, and cheap, we'd be happy to take him on loan for a few months.... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

If Gary Speed said that about him then i'll deffo keep an eye out for him, not usually one to make mistakes on players was Mr Speed.

Oh, and while it is the Daily Mirror and thus must be taken with a huge pinch of salt, there's a story running in their paper this morning that Mourinho is currently scouting him at Real. So you can notch up that currently fan generated pricetag for a few million more! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I think a loan is exactly what young Williams need, especially given how well our squad is performing at the moment, I can't see him getting a look in any time soon.

Don't worry, the Mirror also reported that the Barca and Madrid scouts were looking at Moses as well, and he ended up at Wigan for £2.5m. Need I say more?

I think a loan is exactly what young Williams need, especially given how well our squad is performing at the moment, I can't see him getting a look in any time soon.

Don't worry, the Mirror also reported that the Barca and Madrid scouts were looking at Moses as well, and he ended up at Wigan for £2.5m. Need I say more?

If you go up he almost certainly will, though that's still a big if in mid-November (even if it looks atleast somewhat likely so far).

Haha, yes, they do have previous for writing nonsense. I was at the Derby v Doncaster game in the press box with the Daily Mirror reporter last season and their reporter, who was very nice to me I should add, missed the first ten minutes of the second half and wanted to give one of our better performers in Bryson a 4/5 rating. I think I managed to convince him he was worth a 5/6 (I forget which he settled on now).

I trust not in the Mirror's clinical judgment 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> Though such stories do add to the excitement of counting the pennies on forums such as this i'm sure!

If you go up he almost certainly will, though that's still a big if in mid-November (even if it looks atleast somewhat likely so far).

Haha, yes, they do have previous for writing nonsense. I was at the Derby v Doncaster game in the press box with the Daily Mirror reporter last season and their reporter, who was very nice to me I should add, missed the first ten minutes of the second half and wanted to give one of our better performers in Bryson a 4/5 rating. I think I managed to convince him he was worth a 5/6 (I forget which he settled on now).

I trust not in the Mirror's clinical judgment 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> Though such stories do add to the excitement of counting the pennies on forums such as this i'm sure!

I personally don't think we will go up, but maybe that's due to too many years of watching **** which has made me pessimistic. But in my experience, nothing good ever lasts at Palace.

Yep I've often read their post match reports and I've come to the conclusion that their player ratings are randomly generated. Utterly clueless about anything outside the 'big four'.

I can't understand what your opinion is founded on? Obviously there are players who dont fulfil their potential, but there are plenty of players who do. You can't dismiss every promising youngster as overrated just because there's a possibility it might not work out.

The opinion is founded based on the fact that the player you mention doesn't play for a Spanish team. There are no good players in England according to Bris.

Don't be ridiculous..

Zaha isn't worldclass.. If he was he'd be destroying what is a very average league.. Rooney wasn't worldclass when he made his $30mill move from Everton to Man Utd.. He became a (borderline) worldclas player at Man Utd..

Zaha worldclass now? I don't see Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or so on lining up to sign him.. I don't even see any formal bids come in for him.. If he was such hot property the big clubs would have had him a year or so ago..

Pipe down buddy

On a side note I bloody hate the overrating of some of the British players.. Some joker posted on the BBC as it happened Sunday live football that Bale was comfortably the best player on the field and there isn't a single club he couldn't play for.. On par with Messi and Ronaldo for technical ability etc.. 5 minutes later after Bale gave away possession cheaply 3 times David Silva completely showed him up by making an assist hardly anyone else in the PL is capable of and made it look easy..

Seriously.. fustrating..

And also what joker said that Spain would be finished by 2015 and used the Olympics as a reason behind this.. Spain recently won the U21 Championship which is far more difficult and Barca alone have more players than the 3 mentioned in Cuenca, Montoya, Bertra, Tello, Thiago, Sergi Roberto who will all feature or have featured for Barca this season.. Not to mention already top players like Callejon, De Gae, Martinez, Munaian, Rodrigo.. And in 2015 the likes of Pique, Ramos, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro will still be around and probably at a higher level than they are now

We get it, you love Spain and Barcelona. Bale is a quality player, if he was spanish you would be the one raving about him.

Zaha has compared himself to Messi and Ronaldo?

Remember when Boothroyd and Nugent got an England call up? maybe he should wait to prove himself before running his mouth, it's not exactly and endearing characteristics to have - would love to see him fail after all this hype circa Giles Barnes 2007

Zaha has compared himself to Messi and Ronaldo?

Remember when Boothroyd and Nugent got an England call up? maybe he should wait to prove himself before running his mouth, it's not exactly and endearing characteristics to have - would love to see him fail after all this hype circa Giles Barnes 2007

You put some journalists to shame the way you've taken that quote out of context.

Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha insists that his words were twisted after he was quoted in interviews claiming he only looks up to Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

[size=3]More than one national carried interviews with Zaha, who was called into the senior England squad on Sunday, where he quoted as saying he only respects the best two players in the world.[/size]

[size=3]But Zaha has took to Twitter to play down the quotes, after a number of people questioned his attitude in the light of the remarks.[/size]

[size=3]Just to clear things up, when I say I don't see anyone better than me I just say that to boost my confidence when I get on the field," he Tweeted.[/size]

[size=3]"Thanks for all the supportive messages and those who understood my interview wasn't me trying to arrogant.[/size]

[size=3]"But I will learn from this and explain in further detail what I mean when I make certain statements[/size]

[size=3]"My words were absolutely twisted and taken the wrong way in my last interview.[/size]

[size=3]"I know there's players out there better then me so please don't take my words the wrong way #thanks."[/size]

[size=3]Ivory Coast-born Zaha is expected to be given his debut for England against [url=http://topics.skysports.com/sweden/?section=football]Swedenhttp://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer on Wednesday.[/size]

Bris...i usually agree with most of your comments, but to say that Fat Frank is one of only 2 players we have produced that are "worlc class" is, well, crazy.

I was talking over the past 15 years or so.. I excluded the likes of Gazza and Scholes who technically were far superior to Lampard..

I also said he perhaps has a claim to being worldclass rather than actually being worldclass.. As far as a goalscoring midfielder goes it's pretty impressive.. I think he got a rough deal in the Gerrard/Lampard partnership.. I feel Lampard was the better of the two and he single handedly dragged us back into our Euro 2004 defeat to Portugal..

Opinions are massively divided on him.. Technically there are and were many better players than him, but his goalscoring stats were very impressive for a midfielder..

We get it, you love Spain and Barcelona. Bale is a quality player, if he was spanish you would be the one raving about him.

Not really, especially when I can name at least 20 better Spanish players than him..

He's massively overrated because he has an engine.. He looks good in rush football, where he can pick up the ball and juist run in a straight line past the fullback..

He'd be absolutely lost in a more technical league and on the international stage and in Europe he looks an average player.. One good game against an out of form Maicon and he has this reputation as a superstar..

Don't think Bris would know about him if he was Spanish, because they wouldn't start him. Perhaps they'd occasionally play him like Jesus Navas, who is a very Un-Spanish winger, who from memory Bris doesn't rate that highly. Bris doesn't like players because they're Spanish, he just likes technical football based on passing and vision.

Bris is even saying Bale isn't a quality player, but it's outrageous to say he's on a level with Messi and Ronaldo (and incidentally, Redknapp never actually said he was).

Archived