Halloween

Day

The most dangerous countries in the World seem to be smitten with being over religious. Pakistan/Afghanistan, Israel, USA etc.

Indeed - They all believe god is on their side.

btw, what happened to "Thou shalt not kill"? I seem to remember being forced to memorise the 10 commandments at school, do they still do that one?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw, what happened to "Thou shalt not kill"? I seem to remember being forced to memorise the 10 commandments at school, do they still do that one?

I think they still believe in it, but have adapted it to only count for other people!!!

Thou shalt not kill means, I believe, no-one in your tribe according to the bible, rather than do not kill at all, which has been convinently forgotten. Seem to remember hearing that in a documentary, if someone wants to back me up on that with actual evidence for that theory, please do, I can't think where i've heard it.

We are though in danger of starting another religion thread here, so perhaps best to move the topic onwards! I'm also sure that somewhere, somehow, YR has sensed a disturbance in the force and has the sudden need to type furiously into a keyboard.

You have to appreciate our national character though LR, the tradition of "not making a fuss", not going over the top, moaning about everything and generally being quite reserved. For instance, I lament St Georges day not being celebrated enough then I remind myself we're English, the fact we do so little/nothing is about the biggest show of true Englishness you can get.

Not making a fuss is one thing and I agree that's what makes us British. But it's the downright miserable sods that pee me off.

Always somebody moaning, daren't laugh cos it might crack their faces. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Thou shalt not kill means, I believe, no-one in your tribe according to the bible, rather than do not kill at all, which has been convinently forgotten.

I s'pose everything in the Bible is open to how individuals interpret it?

I always thought "Thou shalt not kill" meant just that. You shall not.

I s'pose everything in the Bible is open to how individuals interpret it?

I always thought "Thou shalt not kill" meant just that. You shall not.

Well at the time it's specific, nowadays people interpret the entire thing to whatever suits them, if that's for 'good' reasons then that's agreeable.

Thou shalt not kill means, I believe, no-one in your tribe according to the bible, rather than do not kill at all, which has been convinently forgotten. Seem to remember hearing that in a documentary, if someone wants to back me up on that with actual evidence for that theory, please do, I can't think where i've heard it.

We are though in danger of starting another religion thread here, so perhaps best to move the topic onwards! I'm also sure that somewhere, somehow, YR has sensed a disturbance in the force and has the sudden need to type furiously into a keyboard.

Indeed, religion (or rather people acting with the mandate of one) can pick and choose when its right to kill or not, the most notorious instance obviously being the crusades and the catholic church, which was blessed as holy (and righteous) war by the then pope. And the views of the Koran on the "Kafir" are there for all to see in black-and-white.

YR is engaging in abstinence at the moment, the non-religious kind ofcourse.

Indeed, religion (or rather people acting with the mandate of one) can pick and choose when its right to kill or not, the most notorious instance obviously being the crusades and the catholic church, which was blessed as holy (and righteous) war by the then pope. And the views of the Koran on the "Kafir" are there for all to see in black-and-white.

YR is engaging in abstinence at the moment, the non-religious kind ofcourse.

You haven't seen his facebook feed! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Whippersnapper indeed! I'm 22 in April.......scary thought. I believe he still does his blog, spoke to him last week or so, hopefully he keeps it going.

When you speak to him next, give him my best 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> and I hope Uni is working out.

(And trust me, when you get to my age, anybody who's 22 is a whippersnapper 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />)

When you speak to him next, give him my best 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> and I hope Uni is working out.

(And trust me, when you get to my age, anybody who's 22 is a whippersnapper 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />)

I speak to him pretty often so i'll make sure to pass on your message 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

And it doesn't feel very whippersnappery to me, I don't understand where my teens went! They were here a minute ago....

I speak to him pretty often so i'll make sure to pass on your message 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

And it doesn't feel very whippersnappery to me, I don't understand where my teens went! They were here a minute ago....

Next time you talk to YR would you tell him that I really hope he will stand by his idealism as long as he can. All the best to him otherwise too from an old muppet from Finland. Thanks in advance Alex.

Back on topic...........

In the Independent..............

A group of children going house to house trick or treating in Oldham were handed packets of cocaine instead of sweets on Halloween, Greater Manchester Police have said.

Snap bags containing the class A drug were found among sweets in the children's possession after they had visited a house in Mendip Close, Royton, yesterday.

They had been handed to the primary-school aged children as they visited houses taking part in traditional Halloween fun.

When they returned home they emptied the bags and the drug was discovered.

The substance was then taken to police, examined and confirmed to be cocaine.

Police said none of the children had ingested the drug.

A man, Donald Junior Green, 23, of Mendip Close, Royton, has been charged with possession of Class A drugs and is due before Oldham Magistrates' Court tomorrow morning.

A 21-year-old woman was also arrested on suspicion of possession of Class A drugs and was later released without charge.

Superintendent Catherine Hankinson, of Greater Manchester Police, said: “The parents and police acted quickly when this report was made, in the interests of public safety.

“We understand this to be an isolated incident.”

It is unclear whether the drugs were given to the children by accident or deliberately.

Only the dregs of society could possibly contemplate giving cocaine to children. Why do I feel naiive thinking that nobody could do that on purpose?

Either they were stoned and didn't think about the consequences, or they were trying to get rid of it and thought by passing it on to the kids they wouldn't get found out?

Thank god those parents checked their sweet bags, they could easily have opened it thinking it was a bag of sherbert or summat?

Only the dregs of society could possibly contemplate giving cocaine to children. Why do I feel naiive thinking that nobody could do that on purpose?

Either they were stoned and didn't think about the consequences, or they were trying to get rid of it and thought by passing it on to the kids they wouldn't get found out?

Thank god those parents checked their sweet bags, they could easily have opened it thinking it was a bag of sherbert or summat?

No excuse if they were stoned. They should go to prison for a very long time, they could have killed those kids.

Archived