Halloween

Day

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a few, mostly kids from my sons class but on the whole it was quiet. I think the fashionable thing to do now is to have a party. That's where I draw the line. No party = no trashed house.

And that pumpkin of Savile? I trust that's going to be chucked on a bonfire on Monday night?

God bless america!

Apparantley 86% of Americans decorate their houses at Halloween and it's helping with the tourism industry.

One thing's for definate when it comes to Americans, they know how to do things properly, particulaly at Halloween, 4th July, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

England can't even celebrate St. Georges Day without somebody moaning about the point of it. That's just boring and shows the apathy that people have over here.

Good on the Americans I say.

Don't understand why the chavs don't just wear their normal attire? What annoys me is when their entire costume consists of a mask. As I live in a village with a few young families its all rather pleasant to be honest, probably as it should be. Although having lived on housing estates and in small towns I know what a ballache it can be with slags and chavs knocking on your door every 5 minutes.

Apparantley 86% of Americans decorate their houses at Halloween and it's helping with the tourism industry.

One thing's for definate when it comes to Americans, they know how to do things properly, particulaly at Halloween, 4th July, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

England can't even celebrate St. Georges Day without somebody moaning about the point of it. That's just boring and shows the apathy that people have over here.

Good on the Americans I say.

You have to appreciate our national character though LR, the tradition of "not making a fuss", not going over the top, moaning about everything and generally being quite reserved. For instance, I lament St Georges day not being celebrated enough then I remind myself we're English, the fact we do so little/nothing is about the biggest show of true Englishness you can get.

You have to appreciate our national character though LR, the tradition of "not making a fuss", not going over the top, moaning about everything and generally being quite reserved. For instance, I lament St Georges day not being celebrated enough then I remind myself we're English, the fact we do so little/nothing is about the biggest show of true Englishness you can get.

I guess it doesn't help that St.George is thought to have been a Palestinian and not English.

I guess it doesn't help that St.George is thought to have been a Palestinian and not English.

You probably have a higher estimation of the appreciation of history in this country than me if you think that matters. Ofcourse Patron saints really have nothing to do with nationality anyway, though it may sometimes help in the selection process, Saint Mary/Saint Peter/Saint George/Saint<insert name here> are affliliated to hundreds of regions/principalities regardless of where they were born. They are selected as to what they represented/lived for to characterise a people, not on where they were born.

I also suspect that despite centuries of brainwashing by the church we are, deep down , rather secular, ie we don't really believe in god that much. Certainly not in the organised religion stuff anyway.

Saints are therefore not particularly important to the vast majority of us.

If we had an "English day" bank holiday it would soon take off as a great celebration - just keep religious claptrap and bigotry out of it!

Organised begging! It's vile. People, many of them elderly, forced to give treats. I think it's called obtaining money with menaces.

I always go out on Halloween, tonight to watch a gig by The Wedding Present. I won't be dressed as a skeleton or a corpse.

If your children want to go out knocking on doors, get them doing favours for those who need them OR collect money not sweets and give it to charity.

Bah!

The greatest rock n roll band in the history of everything.....

You probably have a higher estimation of the appreciation of history in this country than me if you think that matters. Ofcourse Patron saints really have nothing to do with nationality anyway, though it may sometimes help in the selection process, Saint Mary/Saint Peter/Saint George/Saint<insert name here> are affliliated to hundreds of regions/principalities regardless of where they were born. They are selected as to what they represented/lived for to characterise a people, not on where they were born.

You are absolutely correct, it doesn't matter a jot in the great scheme of things about nationality - I was being a tad flippant :-)

Those Jesus and Mohammed fellows seem to have a fairly global following despite being residents of the Middle East.

I also suspect that despite centuries of brainwashing by the church we are, deep down , rather secular, ie we don't really believe in god that much. Certainly not in the organised religion stuff anyway.

Saints are therefore not particularly important to the vast majority of us.

If we had an "English day" bank holiday it would soon take off as a great celebration - just keep religious claptrap and bigotry out of it!

The most dangerous countries in the World seem to be smitten with being over religious. Pakistan/Afghanistan, Israel, USA etc.

Archived