Halloween

Day

Grow up, unless you've got kids then it's ok and by kids I don't mean 20 year old kids.

If you have got kids I urge you to give them a fiver and a bag of sweets, don't let them go out knocking on peoples doors annoying them and scaring old people, it's not right and it's not fair.

If you are over 18 and out last weekend or this weekend in fancy dress thinking you look cool in your mask and skeleton leggings you don't, you looked ridiculous and everyone was laughing at you not with you.

Tonight an upstanding member of society (me) will be forced upstairs early in my own house with a pair of headphones on and tweeting what an absolute joke Halloween is.

If you are reading Cameron or Milliband, you will get my vote if you ban this unacceptable begging on 31st October.

Thank You.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Organised begging! It's vile. People, many of them elderly, forced to give treats. I think it's called obtaining money with menaces.

I always go out on Halloween, tonight to watch a gig by The Wedding Present. I won't be dressed as a skeleton or a corpse.

If your children want to go out knocking on doors, get them doing favours for those who need them OR collect money not sweets and give it to charity.

Bah!

Not my favourite time of year tbh. Just another rip off. I've had to buy some Haribo's and I hate Haribo's. Bonfire night is much more celebratory - a part of our history - there's a meaning to it.

That reminds me Daveo, we're off to Pleasure Island for the firework do on Saturday - staying at Thorpe Park - I know it's next door, sort of - but is it in walking distance?

Wow.

Sod it. I daren't say owt now, I'll get called a bad parent, accused of begging and annoying people because I dare let my 8 year old dress up and knock on a few doors which have pumpkins in their windows (these householders obviously don't mind having a knock on their door before half past 6?). Plus I know our street of semi circle houses well enough to know where the pensioners live and encourage people who knock on my door not to disturb the one who lives next door to me?

Yep, I'm really irresponsible me.

Wow.

Sod it. I daren't say owt now, I'll get called a bad parent, accused of begging and annoying people because I dare let my 8 year old dress up and knock on a few doors which have pumpkins in their windows (these householders obviously don't mind having a knock on their door before half past 6?). Plus I know our street of semi circle houses well enough to know where the pensioners live and encourage people who knock on my door not to disturb the one who lives next door to me?

trouble is it the bad few that spoil it for everyone. You don't know if its a 8 yard old dressed up wanting a small amount of sweets or 16 year old yob ready to egg your door till you have opened it

trouble is it the bad few that spoil it for everyone. You don't know if its a 8 yard old dressed up wanting a small amount of sweets or 16 year old yob ready to egg your door till you have opened it

The older ones do spoil it, I agree.

I kind of have a rule, anything after half 6/7 o clock and the door doesn't get answered. The people who live near me who have younger kids use the same rule, so I guess the older ones know not to call and they stay away. It's very rare we'll see older ones, they're all too busy sitting in somebody's shed getting pissed.

My daughter's 14 and a couple of years ago she deemed herself too old for halloweening. She looks forward to going to the Alton Towers Scarefest (we went on Friday and it was brilliant).

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody if they're boring old farts though, it's too much like fun. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

The older ones do spoil it, I agree.

I kind of have a rule, anything after half 6/7 o clock and the door doesn't get answered. The people who live near me who have younger kids use the same rule, so I guess the older ones know not to call and they stay away. It's very rare we'll see older ones, they're all too busy sitting in somebody's shed getting pissed.

My daughter's 14 and a couple of years ago she deemed herself too old for halloweening. She looks forward to going to the Alton Towers Scarefest (we went on Friday and it was brilliant).

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody if they're boring old farts though, it's too much like fun. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Big difference between me and you is I live in Nottingham lol

Wow.

You're excused Lady Ram. You obviously know your neighbours well and if it's a completely mutual agreement that's ok. I just feel that the reward for dressing up if necessary should be more useful than sweets. It would be a great way to combine fun and altruism at an early age if the kids did something which benefits others.

That reminds me Daveo, we're off to Pleasure Island for the firework do on Saturday - staying at Thorpe Park - I know it's next door, sort of - but is it in walking distance?

Never walked it to be honest, I'd say it was about a mile so 20 minutes ish I guess, maybe longer depending on how far inside Thorpe Park you are

Not my favourite time of year tbh. Just another rip off. I've had to buy some Haribo's and I hate Haribo's. Bonfire night is much more celebratory - a part of our history - there's a meaning to it.

Google maps says 11 mins

Never walked it to be honest, I'd say it was about a mile so 20 minutes ish I guess, maybe longer depending on how far inside Thorpe Park you are

Thanks - spose we won't know until we get there then. Just hope it's not raining.

Archived