Keogh vs Shackell

King Kevin

Why do people not like Buxton, I don't recall him having a bad game, yet everyone likes to talk about our defence without him in it. Why?! He's a good player, he wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 110%. He's also one of our longest serving players. Why not just be happy with the guy, its not like he's been lacking this season.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people not like Buxton, I don't recall him having a bad game, yet everyone likes to talk about our defence without him in it. Why?! He's a good player, he wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 110%. He's also one of our longest serving players. Why not just be happy with the guy, its not like he's been lacking this season.

Cos he's short (for a centre back), slow and not very good with the ball at his feet.

Cant fault his effort and commitment, but his natural physical attributes are always going to hold him back. He's ok for where we are at the moment, an average mid table club, but to progress we need better.

yes he gives 100% but hes ridiculously slow! i think think of several games where his lack of pace has cost us a goal. hes good backup but we have better defenders in our team.

yes he gives 100% but hes ridiculously slow! i think think of several games where his lack of pace has cost us a goal. hes good backup but we have better defenders in our team.

Can you give us some examples?

Cos he's short (for a centre back), slow and not very good with the ball at his feet.

Cant fault his effort and commitment, but his natural physical attributes are always going to hold him back. He's ok for where we are at the moment, an average mid table club, but to progress we need better.

5'11" is hardly short for a centrehalf. He's shorter than some, but he's not a short player. Wasn't Colin Todd only 5'9"?

He's plenty good enough on the ball IMO. Far better than Shackell and Barker, for example.

5'11 is short for a gymnast, how many top centre halves are as short as Buxton? Not many.

If I recall, the average British man is about 5'10", this puts Buxton above the average. Now, either Colin Todd wasn't a top centrehalf, you're on the windup or you just didn't think about what you said. Anyhow, Buxton is 5'11", so here are all the centrehalves who are 6'0" or under that I can think of who are playing for Premier League clubs currently, please note that this is in no way an exhaustive list:

Adrian Mariappa - 5'10"

John Heitinga - 5'11"

Phil Jones - 5'11"

Emmerson Boyce - 5'11"

Thomas Vermaelen - 6'0"

Sébastien Squillaci - 6'0"

Phil Jagielka - 6'0"

Kolo Touré - 6'0"

Anton Ferdinand - 6'0"

Clint Hill - 6'0"

Ryan Nelsen - 6'0"

Wes Brown - 6'0"

Ashley Williams - 6'0"

Garry Monk - 6'0"

William Gallas - 6'0"

Why 6'0? Because 1" is not all that noticeable, and when compared to how players jump it will become completely irrelevant. So yeah, there are no good centrehalves around Buxton's height are there?!

Both

That was never an option. Who was going to pay for this? You?

If I recall, the average British man is about 5'10", this puts Buxton above the average. Now, either Colin Todd wasn't a top centrehalf, you're on the windup or you just didn't think about what you said. Anyhow, Buxton is 5'11", so here are all the centrehalves who are 6'0" or under that I can think of who are playing for Premier League clubs currently, please note that this is in no way an exhaustive list:

Adrian Mariappa - 5'10"

John Heitinga - 5'11"

Phil Jones - 5'11"

Emmerson Boyce - 5'11"

Thomas Vermaelen - 6'0"

Phil Jagielka - 6'0"

Kolo Touré - 6'0"

Anton Ferdinand - 6'0"

Clint Hill - 6'0"

Ryan Nelsen - 6'0"

Wes Brown - 6'0"

Ashley Williams - 6'0"

Garry Monk - 6'0"

William Gallas - 6'0"

Why 6'0? Because 1" is not all that noticeable, and when compared to how players jump it will become completely irrelevant. So yeah, there are no good centrehalves around Buxton's height are there?!

yes........

on fifa

Adrian Mariappa - 5'10"

John Heitinga - 5'11"

Phil Jones - 5'11"

Emmerson Boyce - 5'11"

Thomas Vermaelen - 6'0"

Phil Jagielka - 6'0"

Kolo Touré - 6'0"

Anton Ferdinand - 6'0"

Clint Hill - 6'0"

Ryan Nelsen - 6'0"

Wes Brown - 6'0"

Ashley Williams - 6'0"

Garry Monk - 6'0"

William Gallas - 6'0"

You gave one example in your original post, i wasnt dismissing Colin Todd as a top centre half at all, i said not many were.

Naming any centre half under 6ft playing at the top level doesnt back up your point. Firstly, a lot of the ones you named arent much good anyway, Clint Hill is f*cking useless. Plus, you notice a lot of them are quick, having other strong/useful attributes can make up for weaknesses in other areas.

Height isnt an area where there is massive swings of variance. The extra 2 inches a lot of the players you mentioned have is quite a significant difference. Where do you draw the line at a suitable height to play centre halve? I'd say anywhere below 6ft and it's beginning to be a hinderance playing that position.

Buxton shouldn't have played for Mansfield. Then everyone would think he was ok.

He was fantatsic on Sunday.

He was certianly not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, he could easily have been sent off in the first half.

He is ok, actually, no, he is better than ok, but not much better.

If some of the more gifted players put in half as much effort as he does then we would be top of the table.

He was certianly not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, he could easily have been sent off in the first half.

He is ok, actually, no, he is better than ok, but not much better.

If some of the more gifted players put in half as much effort as he does then we would be top of the table.

He was in my opinion.

You gave one example in your original post, i wasnt dismissing Colin Todd as a top centre half at all, i said not many were.

Naming any centre half under 6ft playing at the top level doesnt back up your point. Firstly, a lot of the ones you named arent much good anyway, Clint Hill is f*cking useless. Plus, you notice a lot of them are quick, having other strong/useful attributes can make up for weaknesses in other areas.

Height isnt an area where there is massive swings of variance. The extra 2 inches a lot of the players you mentioned have is quite a significant difference. Where do you draw the line at a suitable height to play centre halve? I'd say anywhere below 6ft and it's beginning to be a hinderance playing that position.

2" taller? Not one of those players is more than an inch taller than Buxton. The average person is roughly half an inch shorter when they go to sleep than when they wake up, are you seriously saying that one inch makes that world of difference?

Whilst i don't actually subscribe to the theory about you haveing to be 6'4 to play centre half, you havent really covered yourself in glory with that list have you..??? Could you have actually found any worse centre halves in the country.....that list is amazing...

I wasn't asked about height, I gave examples of centrehalves that played at a higher level than us who were around his height. Whether you feel they aren't that good is irrelevant.

Archived