Is it right to give condoms to 13 year olds?

ladyram

Debate on RD about this now. Is it right? Would you hand them out to your 13 year olds?

Thoughts.

And lets have a serious discussion here. No puns or pervs allowed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit pointless really, if I think back to when I was 13 and if I was given a condom it would be straight on my head and blowing it up through my nose.

Needs to be more education, not from the schools where your in a class with all your mates having a laugh sticking them on bananas but at home. Saying that my parents didn't say a thing about it to me, probably didn't think I could actually pull anyone so didn't bother. I just knew that if I did get anyone up the duff me Dad would get the belt out and batter me.

Anyway I don't see no harm in it, not like they won't know what sex is and your only 3 years away from legally being able to do it.

I know, no pervs allowed but here is my view about this anyway. Some thirteen years old are gonna do it anyway so at least adults should give them a chance to protect themselves. Because when the time comes they are not going to get them due to the fact that they are thirteen.

I've tried to talk to our daughter, she's 14 and looks at me like I've got 10 heads or summat when 'that topic' comes up for discussion. Don't know why really, cos I try to be as casual about it as I can, certainly nothing like my mother who still lived in the dark ages. She knows I'm here to yak about stuff but she never does.

I'd be shocked if I went in her room one day and found condoms, and to be honest I'd be a bit scared. No parent of a child that age likes to think that would happen but it does and it's a lot more casual in society now. Kids are far more advanced than what we older ones were at the same age. I tell a pair of 13 year olds off every day in the school where I work, cos they're always stood snogging. I know they do it, but I don't really want to see it, ta very much. I don't think it's good for the Year 7's either who shouldn't really have to see it in school. Does that make me a boring old cow? According to them it does.

But I suppose finding a condom can't be half as terrifying as finding drugs. I really don't know how I'd deal with that.

Should hand out 3 litre bottles of Frosty Jacks, a pack of fags, a shank, a condom and tell them to enjoy their friday night - times have clearly changed.

In answer to the question would I hand out condoms to 13 year olds, the answer would be a resounding no.

They have plenty of time to discover the joys of hanky panky, we should be educating them better as opposed to adopting this "oh well, they're going to do it so we might as well protect them BS"

Give 'em a pair of drumsticks and acces to a f**k off drumkit (or other instrument of their choice) and let them discover the pleasure of making music with other kids or encourage them to partake in team sports, something positive they might take into adulthood.

And we wonder why morals are slipping. http://images.wikia.com/runescape/images/1/1f/Emoticon-Facepalm

Under 16 is just too young, they are just kids at the end of the day. It's not like they will understand or enjoy the experience either, just peer group pressure probably forcing their decision.

But on the other hand a pregnancy at that age must be dangerous for both mother and child.

Any parent's worse nightmare this!

I only hope that my kids use their brains (even though our eldest is 19).

If they can go through life using common sense and making sound, sensible decisions and not being put under any pressure, hopefully they'll be fine but I need to know they're aware of what can happen if they do otherwise, so education is the key.

When our eldest was a bit younger and he was going out, I'd sometimes tell him to remember to 'wear his jacket'. Poor lad, he was so embarrassed - but he'd never really argue about it. He knew it was just me being his mum I s'pose.

Archived