Carroll

Asanovic

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst not worth $35mill people forget that he is Liverpools player for the foreseeable future.. He's an investment, they have him for another 10 years..

People look at him and think he's a donkey but in 3 or 4 years he could turn out to be as good as Alan Shearer and then people won't question the signing..

It's not like buying Shevchnko for $30mill and getting 2 years out of him.. They have Carroll for about 10 years, that's $3.5mill a year.. If he helps them to the Champions League for 5 or 6 years straight then you can look at that money as 'well spent'

Surely the biggest bargain in football was Cristiano Ronaldo.. Bought for $12mill, helps Man Utd to 3 consecutive PL titles as well as 2 CL finals (1 win) in 3 years plus other various cups, not to mention his 'brand' with merchandising and sponsors and then get's sold for $80mill... He probably made Man Utd $150mill alone.

You make a valid point re investment, but they still paid 3 times what he's worth. They also bought 2 CF's who need completely different styles of play to make the most of their talents.

Whilst not worth $35mill people forget that he is Liverpools player for the foreseeable future.. He's an investment, they have him for another 10 years..

People look at him and think he's a donkey but in 3 or 4 years he could turn out to be as good as Alan Shearer and then people won't question the signing..

It's not like buying Shevchnko for $30mill and getting 2 years out of him.. They have Carroll for about 10 years, that's $3.5mill a year.. If he helps them to the Champions League for 5 or 6 years straight then you can look at that money as 'well spent'

Surely the biggest bargain in football was Cristiano Ronaldo.. Bought for $12mill, helps Man Utd to 3 consecutive PL titles as well as 2 CL finals (1 win) in 3 years plus other various cups, not to mention his 'brand' with merchandising and sponsors and then get's sold for $80mill... He probably made Man Utd $150mill alone.

Just so we are clear....Liverpool...chumpions league...? Wouldn't that mean that they finish ABOVE....Arsenal....Chelsea....and those two teams from Manchester.....? it's never going to happen.

As for the "investment".....yep, it's a great one, if he keeps up his current prolific goalscoring record he will net almost 60 goals in those 10 years, averaging around 500,000 per goal.....and that is not counting his wages.... bARGAIN

Just so we are clear....Liverpool...chumpions league...? Wouldn't that mean that they finish ABOVE....Arsenal....Chelsea....and those two teams from Manchester.....? it's never going to happen.

As for the "investment".....yep, it's a great one, if he keeps up his current prolific goalscoring record he will net almost 60 goals in those 10 years, averaging around 500,000 per goal.....and that is not counting his wages.... bARGAIN

I don't know how you can say it's 'never' going to happen. Wigan were 'never' going to beat Man United last night, Derby were 'never' going to beat forest with ten men. Also, they've finished in the top four before before!! I can't stand Liverpool at the moment, but even I can see that at some point in the next couple of seasons they'll make an aggressive push for the top four.

Carroll will score, and he'll be a good player somewhere, if not at Liverpool. They seem unwilling to change their style to suit him, which is ludicrous given the money spent on signing him, but I'm not surprised - Dalglish looks like a man out of his depth at the moment. I just think alot of the blame on him not being as good as his fee suggested is a) down to the owners for allowing a situation where with a couple of hours left in the window, they had to replace Torres, and b ) down to Dalglish for complete tactical idiocy. I wouldn't want him within 50 miles of Pride Park.

Carroll will be a decent player, £35m worth maybe not. Let's bring out the stats, he's played 31 games this season in the Prem and scored 4 goals which is pretty shocking unless you are comparing him to Torres.

Thing is out the 31 games he has only started 17 games and in 4 of those has been taken off, 13 full games he has played.

Now take Suarez, 8 goals in the Prem but has played in 27 games and started 25 of those, are people having a pop at the goal return from Suarez? nope.

Given a decent run in the first team would he of bagged more goals, the price tag is a shocker which has put him in the spotlight but isn't his fault.

Perfect thread for this latest news to go into......

Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli has left the club by mutual consent, the Reds have announced.

Comolli was appointed by club co-owners John W. Henry and Tom Werner following their takeover of the club in September 2010.

He oversaw a major spending spree which included the signings of Andy Carroll for £35m and Luis Suarez for £22.7m.

Comolli said: "I am am happy to move on from the club and go back to France for family reasons."

He added: "I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work at Liverpool. I wish the club all the best for the future."

The announcement was made as Liverpool prepare for their FA Cup semi-final against Everton at Wembley on Saturday.

Liverpool chairman Werner said: "The club needs to move forward and we now have a huge game on Saturday. It is important that everyone joins us in supporting the manager and gets behind Kenny [Dalglish] and the team and focuses on a strong finish to the season."

Principal owner Henry added: "We are grateful for all of Damien's efforts on behalf of Liverpool and wish him all the best for the future."

Comolli, 39, was appointed by Liverpool in November 2010 to work alongside former manager Roy Hodgson.

At the time of his appointment the Frenchman said Hodgson, who was replaced by Kenny Dalglish in January 2011, had the final say on all transfers.

He said his role was identifying targets and meant he was responsible for overseeing Dalglish's £112.8m spending spree last year.

As well as Carroll and Suarez, the Reds also paid a combined £36m for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing and Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Following Comolli's departure on Thursday, Dalglish said: "He has been really helpful in every transfer target that we've gone for.

"Everyone who has come into the club since Damien has been here was of my choice.

"Once I made the choice who I wanted, Damien went away and did a fantastic job of bringing them in.

"It's sad to see anyone leave the football club and he goes with my best wishes."

Comolli's appointment marked a return to the Premier League for the Frenchman, who spent three years as Tottenham's director of football before he was sacked by the north London club in October 2008.

He returned to former club St Etienne, where he was technical director in 2004, before switching to Merseyside as he looked to rebuild his reputation in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17687524

Archived