5 Youngster Offered Professional Deals

randombc

[size=3]

Academy Manager Darren Wassall has revealed two of Derby County's first-year scholars and three of the club's second year scholars have been offered professional contracts.

[/size]

[size=3]

Second year scholars Stefan Galinski, Kane Richards and goalkeeper Mats Morch have been offered their first professional deals, as have first year scholars Will Hughes and Josh Lelan.

[/size]

Wasall told The Ram: "The contracts are a reward for all their hard work and performances to date.

"Will has come a long way this year and has played for the England under-17s, whilst Josh has been called up to the England Under-18s on standby.

"It is an old cliché in football but when they say 'somebody is always watching' - at Moor Farm there really is. Everybody is passionate about youth development here and if we think they are good enough, they will get their chance.

"Hopefully the word will spread from a recruitment point of view, and people start seeing that there are five players in the Derby first-team this year, which have all come through the youth team."

Taken from dcfc.co.uk

Great news for the future, a promising goalkeeper and a recently calles up under 17's player, hopefully see a few of these blossoms over the next coming seasons. I think WIll Hughes is probably has the most potential based on 'hype' so may even get a few chances next season.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to see young talent rewarded. Maybe only a couple of them will ever amount to a caliber the team needs, but it sends a message that the club will give you more than a fair shot.

Exactly, and if only one of the 5 becomes a good championship player, that will have saved the club £1 million, and if the others only becomes league 1 or league 2 players, we could get a few hundred grand per player, win win situation.

Exactly, and if only one of the 5 becomes a good championship player, that will have saved the club £1 million, and if the others only becomes league 1 or league 2 players, we could get a few hundred grand per player, win win situation.

From the kids point of view, it has got to give them a better chance of making a living out of football even if it is not with Derby.

I will await with anticipation the list of development team / reserve team players for next season to see who is retained or released from "the next crop" hopefully to progress.

The scholars are all well and good but they are 3 years off pushing for the first team, in most cases anyway. One or two young rough diamonds are emerging though at a very young age, we must develop talent such as Bennett, Hughes and Witham and encourage them enough to stop them moving on elswhere.

Great to see talent being given a chance though.

I just want to know are they good enough to make an impact or are they there to fill the numbers up for the "reserve team".

I've heard good things about all of them except Josh Lelan (and that's not to say he isn't a good player at all, I've probably just missed that report). I'm sure in a year or two, they'll be given a go in the reserves and eventually the first team. It's important to remember how young they are.

I've heard good things about all of them except Josh Lelan (and that's not to say he isn't a good player at all, I've probably just missed that report). I'm sure in a year or two, they'll be given a go in the reserves and eventually the first team. It's important to remember how young they are.

I've seen Josh play a few times and he's definitely better than Buxton, got a good attitude too.

Archived