Internet Freedom (SOPA/PIPA)

ANGERMAN1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The small bits I've read about SOPA I have no issue with the piracy side of it, online piracy has got outta hand, even the missus can go download a new release film in 10mins without any help.

The copyright stuff could be ****** but it all depends on the companies making a complaint. The copy and pasting articles onto forums may need to be changes to just links but it's their material so we can't really complain.

If websites keep all the content legit then there would be no issues.

Pointless exercise.

SOPA/PIPA will be rendered neutral far before they ever see the light of day anyway.

Megaupload closed down - Anonymous are already taking steps to set up an alternative site hosted on Russian servers, using software that renders all through traffic anonymous.

Ironic that the pressure behind these bills stems largely, as always, from the music and movie industries. Two areas well versed in the art of massively overcharging for their products.

My bug-bear at the moment - ebooks. Sold on the basis of being ecologically friendly etc. Great stuff, I'll do my bit, I'll buy a Kindle. You do that, and the first thing you notice when you go into the Amazon store to download a few books is that you're paying even more for electronic copies than you would for good old paper ones.

I agree, there's plenty of work to be done to get people to NOT download, but equally, there's also an onus on the other side to NOT rip people off.

Is music and films really that expensive anymore? I think it's just an excuse for downloading, I'm no angel and have lots of downloaded material myself.

You see a DVD advertised on TV, nothing on TV, boot up the PC and you can have that film in 10 minutes. Same with music but even quicker.

Yes I could go to iTunes but why pay when you know how to get it free?

Would I have a problem paying £10 an album and the same for a DVD if all these sites shut down? Not at all, it's having to quit a habit but being forced to which makes it easier.

Buying anything is a choice, if you can't afford it then you don't have it.

This is not ALL about downloading the latest DVD for free off some 'shoddy' site. This will see people unable to exhibit their guitar skills by playing a well known tune and putting it on YouTube, Or from you posting a song on your friends facebook and saying 'hey, check this out, it's great' or checking out a live performance by your favourite band that someone has filmed.

Also, the powewrful companies can accuse a site of copyright infringement and that automatically starts a legal process. The big company pays for the top legal team and the small companies struggle to get decent lawyers and could possibly shut down unlawfully or to keep the site running but with a loss in revenue due to legal fees etc.

The bill is made to sound great by the US government, but the reason people are becoming aggrieved is because they know the truth.

Worst case scenario yes, do you think music companies will pull videos that teach you how to play the guitar?

YouTube already copyright strikes users so nothing will change there.

A few record labels have opened their own YouTube channels now and they can disable the embed code if they wish.

Facebook profiles have privacy options so the companies wouldn't be able to see what you post to put in a copyright claim.

I started to digress and talk about just SOPA and PIPA there. It's just that sought of legislation (DMCA) that has seen a 23yr old UK citizen extradited to the US.

This is because in 2003 Labour allowed the extraditing of our UK citizens, but it was supposed to be used for terror suspects. This is being abused (Just like SOPA/PIPA or whatever they re-brand it as will be).

My point is, if a UK citizen can potentially be imprisoned for 5-10yrs (same as a sex offender) for just 'linking' to a 'dodgy' site. Then surely the man who is responsible for promoting and endorsing software specifically made to breach copyright infringement should face trial too and for a much longer sentence.

The fact he is worth $4.1bn must play a part in this. He owns VIACOM who tried to sue YouTube for showing clips of his CBS shows, yet owns CNET which encourages and links you to pirated software. This makes him a ******* hypocrite as well as guilty of breaching legislation that he wants to see 'heightened'.

The Entertainment industry already pull the strings of certain senators, But now they want to control the biggest money maker of them all.............The Internet.

Is music and films really that expensive anymore? I think it's just an excuse for downloading, I'm no angel and have lots of downloaded material myself.

The music industry backed itself into a corner through years and years of over-pricing their product. Consequently, people found a way of getting it for free instead, and as you say, now that that particular Pandora's box has been opened, good luck closing it again.

I download a lot of stuff too - mostly TV that airs on HD channels in the States but never sees the light of day on Blu Ray over here, just DVD. It makes a mockery of those anti-piracy ads on the front of DVDs or Blu Rays that you buy - "Dave's watching an official copy with pristine picture quality, Bert's watching a pirate copy that looks like someone's filmed it on a camcorder....". Turns out that often now you can download superior versions to ones than you can legally buy.

Music - personally, I used iTunes - tunes on there are dirt cheap so I don't begrudge that at all.

Movies - Always buy on BD.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived