Darlington make ALL players redundant.

trekkie_ram

The Administrators have sacked all the players and staff. They have a 25,000 all seater stadium, but no-one to play on it. Seem likely to fold and reform, but various 'people' are interested in buying them.

Not many teams I'd wish this on, makes having a prudent board seem rosier all the time.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very sad to hear.

Never like hearing of a club that dies, because it's the fans that suffer. (unless it's l**ds, then i would dance on their grave)

But the list of clubs going bust gets longer & longer, and a lot of the time for less than a PL player's weekly wage.

On another note, they have a bigger stadium, than a few PL clubs, Fulham, QPR. Swansea wtc

Their stadium is 5,000 capacity. 25,000 seats, yes, but they don't have the planny permission to seat more than 5 thousand.

They're paying the debts for a Premier League ground in the Conference, when in fact they actually have a Conference stadium.

Talk about idle capital...

This is the dress rehearsal for Derby County in 2 years time..

Jesus, how do you get through the week? Everything I read from you is utter pessimism! In this case it has no base, we are one of the least likely champ teams to have cash flow problems in the next few seasons.

If they do go hopefully they rise from the ashes like wimbledon and will be back in the league within a few years.

Not as big a club, in a not so affluent area of the country without such a large group riled by a sense of huge mis-justice of a short space of time.

I'd love to see it but the chances of it happening are very remote.

Not as big a club, in a not so affluent area of the country without such a large group riled by a sense of huge mis-justice of a short space of time.

I'd love to see it but the chances of it happening are very remote.

They'll still have massive gates and more money compared to the majority of non league teams which should see them get to the Conference North/Prem eventually.

Their gates are not as massive as you make out. They average about 1,800 or so in that huge stadium. Other former Football League teams are down there desperate to get back up with bigger followings, like Luton, Wrexham, York, Grimbsby, Lincoln, Cambridge Utd.

A few teams went a loy further down the pyramid and never came back, some are having a good try at a revival, such as Newport County who went completely bust and then came back. Simaler things have happened in Italy with giant clubs, Like Napoli with genuine massive fan bases. Darlington will have start from scratch like Ilkeston did and Newport County did. If they build a community run club this time round it might prove more successful in the long run. Seems like their owner had his head in the clouds when he built the stadium without genuine backing from the local community, so they found it hard to get local backing when things started going belly up.

Archived