Mark Cavendish - World Cycling Road Race Champion

TelTheRam

Congratulations to Cav for bringing back the World title to GB - the first time since Tommy Simpson in 1965.

What an extraordinary performance by the GB team to control the race for virtually the whole day and get him to the finish in a position to win.

As he said in his interview, how could he let them down after that.

Brilliant

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you notice how many riders from other countries went out of their way, as they came over the finish line, to congratulate him? Presumably his old HTC team mates. Matt Goss certainly was.

It must be a very emotional moment when the HTC team is disbanded. These guys live together in close proximity for weeks on end and come over as a great bunch of mates, very close, lots of banter. Not forgetting the small fact they won 570 races in the 3 years they were a team.

Will Cav join Sky, as is popularly roumoured? I can't see it working. Wiggins and Thomas are considered Grand Tour prospects in their own right, not to mention Froome.

Can't see them sacrificing thier own potential chances just to deliver Cav to the line (which HTC seemed happy to do).

I didn't know that - it's some record and shows what you can do by working as a real team.

I have to agree with you that Cavendish would disrupt Sky's challenge for overall 'Grand Tour' victories, although prsonally I don't think Wiggins is strong enough to win a Tour de France.

What disappointed me yesterday was the lack of response to his win in the sports roundups on TV and radio.

Talksport never even mentioned it and Sky Sports News just passed over it as if it got in the way of reporting some German bloke winning a car race again, England losing at cricket again and some golf news. BBC did manage a couple of minutes in the sports news this morning.

Still, it's something cycling fans have come to expect.

Sunday night, BBC, Sports News opened with Scotland losing at rugby, some blonde women playing golf, Hamilton getting a clip round the ear, England struggling at cricket and some Scottish football result.

Pretty comprehensive really. World champions are irrelevant if it's not part of the BBC agenda.

Oh, and by the way, didn't some Kenyan git break a world marathon record. Not important really.

Which (unfortunately) leads me on to another hobbyhorse.

Why can the Kenyan set a world record "thanks to some great pace-making" whilst Paula gets stripped of her world record because there were men running "which might have towed her along"?

Did you notice how many riders from other countries went out of their way, as they came over the finish line, to congratulate him? Presumably his old HTC team mates. Matt Goss certainly was.

It must be a very emotional moment when the HTC team is disbanded. These guys live together in close proximity for weeks on end and come over as a great bunch of mates, very close, lots of banter. Not forgetting the small fact they won 570 races in the 3 years they were a team.

Will Cav join Sky, as is popularly roumoured? I can't see it working. Wiggins and Thomas are considered Grand Tour prospects in their own right, not to mention Froome.

Can't see them sacrificing thier own potential chances just to deliver Cav to the line (which HTC seemed happy to do).

I didn't know that - it's some record and shows what you can do by working as a real team.

I have to agree with you that Cavendish would disrupt Sky's challenge for overall 'Grand Tour' victories, although prsonally I don't think Wiggins is strong enough to win a Tour de France.

What disappointed me yesterday was the lack of response to his win in the sports roundups on TV and radio.

Talksport never even mentioned it and Sky Sports News just passed over it as if it got in the way of reporting some German bloke winning a car race again, England losing at cricket again and some golf news. BBC did manage a couple of minutes in the sports news this morning.

Still, it's something cycling fans have come to expect.

He's only good for 50 yards 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

But in this case there were 290209 other yards (approximately) before those most important 50.

With the GB squad on the front of the peloton it was the longest team time trial I've ever seen.

And we shouldn't forget that Wiggins was second in the elite men's time trial a few days before.

But in this case there were 290209 other yards (approximately) before those most important 50.

With the GB squad on the front of the peloton it was the longest team time trial I've ever seen.

And we shouldn't forget that Wiggins was second in the elite men's time trial a few days before.

I don't profess to no all the intricacies of cycling, it perplexes me sometimes though, Cavendish can win say 6 stages of the TDF, but be hours behind the winner, who does not even need to win a stage, or maybe just one, in the mountains, and by such a distance that they pass riders who have been up top for nearly two weeks say.

I enjoyed the women's race more the other day, at least some kept having a go, the Canadian girl was great I thought, pity she could not hold on ( think she was Canadian ).

I don't profess to know all the intricacies of cycling, it perplexes me sometimes though, Cavendish can win say 6 stages of the TDF, but be hours behind the winner, who does not even need to win a stage, or maybe just one, in the mountains, and by such a distance that they pass riders who have been up top for nearly two weeks say.

I enjoyed the women's race more the other day, at least some kept having a go, the Canadian girl was great I thought, pity she could not hold on ( think she was Canadian ).

Doh 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Archived