Leeds

StaffsRam

BBC Sport

Leeds United could start the season without Luciano Becchio and Davide Somma, two of their main strikers.

Argentine Becchio may need an operation on a ruptured tendon while South African Somma will be out for six to nine months with a cruciate injury.

Manager Simon Grayson told the club website: "We're just weighing things up with Luc now and whether or not he needs an operation.

"We'll know more over the next few days in terms of which way we will go."

Becchio, 27, scored 20 goals last season but missed the end of the campaign with a hamstring problem.

"We let things settle down over the summer after the injury last season and he did some light training when we came back, but he's got a ruptured tendon and we have to consider things now," the Leeds manager said.

Grayson is already facing up to prospect of missing Somma for the majority of the season after the South Africa international picked up a serious knee injury in pre-season training.

"We're obviously hugely disappointed Dave's sustained this injury," the manager said.

"You could say six to nine months to recover from something like this. It'll take a couple of weeks for the swelling to come down then he'll have the operation to put it back in place.

"Andy O'Brien still has his side strain as well, hopefully we won't be too long without him but it's a delicate muscle.

"He'll be touch and go, but hopefully could be back early next week in terms of light training.

"It's been frustrating for all of them. Andy has worked hard over pre-season, Dave's was innocuous, and Luciano had the injury at the back end of last season and has done some work with us."

Grayson banned his players from using Twitter this week after Somma revealed details about his injury on the social networking website.

This is a real shame......

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depserate for Gradel to go somewhere. He's been linked with the likes of PSG as well as a few Prem and Champ teams.

Somma is crap though ain't he?

Good news on Becchio.

Might be glad Media United are on TV after all. Will watch every game if they struggle. :D

Don't worry matey, there are good and bad in everything.

You lot just are have more bad, because of the Forevergreenitus disease, but not all on ya!:D

Tsk tsk tsk Elv, you're still playing catchup, no need for envy here. Your lot do seem to be afflicted by the little man/chip-on-the-shoulder/inferiority complex thing though! Are you jocks in disguise?! :eek:

Nothing matches my dislike for Leeds, so I can't help but laugh at this.:D

Same here.

If Forest were to meet Leeds in a cup final i'd just have to say that i hope Leeds don't win.

Not saying i'd want Forest to win though. I just don't want Leeds to win anything ever. Ever.

Is Grayson like..... alright? Up there i mean. Like, you know, is he one of the different kids? You know, the ones that don't ever get a pen licence at school?

Just that if mushy peas could talk. They'd sound like Saaahrmon Greeeeaarsaarn.

Forest Promotion / Leeds Relegation you decide?:D

Bloody heck!

I'd spend so long trying to make my mind up the season would be over! The best way out would be you just miss out on promotion and Leeds just (JUST) avoid relegation. By 1 goal on the last day.

Archived