News of the World Axed

Day

All said and done it's still a more respectable and interesting publication than The People :D

On a serious note I'm in two minds about this, by all means get rid of the odious little scumbags who hacked all these phones but it's a shame for anyone not directly connected to those cretins actions to loose their jobs.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an ongoing investigation, and one that I'm sure will lead all the way to the top of the organisation. I certainly don't think it was a few rogue journalists while the people at the top were none the wiser. It's just sad that a lot of decent honest people have lost their jobs now as a result of these scumbags.

I'd have far more respect for Murdoch's media if it simply supported politically who they wanted to agree with (even if I don't agree myself) rather than just backing the likely winner of each general election so they can sell papers and get support in bending legislation to expand their media by whoever wins each respective election.

It's why The Sun slated the miners in the eighties, advocated Thatcher's Falklands war strongly but then dramatically flipped to support New Labour. Then last year, they flipped again to put a Obama style campaign poster of David Cameron on the election day edition of the paper.

As for the phone hacking, the scandal is going to be a can of worms so large that there will be no justice for the victims. The relatively small amounts of celebrities who had their phones hacked were able to take the case to court and receive generous compensation. However, when it unfolds that large amounts of 7/7 victims and families were hacked as well as Milly, not even a class action is going to be able to entitle victims to the compensation they deserve for having their lives ruined by the News of the World.

Yes, there will be an inquiry and the newspapers will continue to report new developments in the scandal as the public grow angrier. But no one will pay for this. News International are already sweeping matters under the carpet. What better way to do that than bring the newspaper to its end? By the time the police and public inquiry get to the end of this, News International will have both destroyed large cabinets of evidence and prepared a sublime legal defence that saves them having to pay the compensation out that the victims deserve. Then the News of the World will be back in the shape of "The Sunday".

It will clean up the industry for the next couple of years but things will eventually get back to normal.

Archived