When do we give up on clough??

adamD

No but that is what people keep implying when they say Clough is the cheap option - which implies that there would have been a more expensive option. We do not know what other options were available so cant judge if he was the best, worst or cheap option.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No but that is what people keep implying when they say Clough is the cheap option - which implies that there would have been a more expensive option. We do not know what other options were available so cant judge if he was the best, worst or cheap option.

He was the cheap option. Unquestionably so. NL manager who would love to manage Derby. Can't see him calling our bluff for a big wage.

As for implying there was an expensive option, well there was. Anybody with any quality....but we weren't linked with them because we have no money.

As joint manager. Took sole control in 1995, won two promotions, and kept them in the PremierLeague.

I have no problem with Clough. I think he's done a brilliant job.....just find it amusing how he is defended to the death when a clearly better manager in terms of results and performances is put forward.

In the interests of getting the facts right one of the promotions was because he got them relegated before. Personally I won't 'defend him to the death' but I will try and defend his right to an honest chance which he has only just started to receive.

In the interests of getting the facts right one of the promotions was because he got them relegated before. Personally I won't 'defend him to the death' but I will try and defend his right to an honest chance which he has only just started to receive.

Yeah, like i said, two promotions.

i think it is insane to say at the time that clough junior was the best qualified person for the job in all honesty. Also i didn't mean being blind literally, it is a metaphor you are probably joking but i think just in case you weren't i have explained. I am not suggesting that you have no intelligence, some mad people have been very intelligent e.g. Nietzsche. I would have said megson was more qualified than clough at the time, also i can't remember 2 years back exactly who was available.

You are quite clearly calling him insane in this post. I think the mods need to look at this.

how do you know most fans are still in favor of him? have you polled every single derby county fan? but he still does not have the name? in all seriousness a name doesn't mean a jot on how good he is, again the fans don't decide when a manager is fired, the board does, the board would have stuck with him just as they have with clough i believe. Clough also had a squad full of his players last season we have now had 3 different teams essentially in 3 years. So if curbishley was in the frame, nigel wasn't the most qualified candidate for the job, I was expecting a mid table finish when we went down, not a play off contenders spot, though jewel did get us in the playoffs at one stage or at least close to it. The stability we need could be destroyed this season, if another poor season happens g.s.e will not renew his contract in my opinion.

I am NOT saying his name is a judge of how good he is, please please please read my posts properly. I'll explain again, just for you.

He's been given time because of his name. There. Hope that's clear now!

I am NOT saying his name is a judge of how good he is, please please please read my posts properly. I'll explain again, just for you.

He's been given time because of his name. There. Hope that's clear now!

well by the fans he has, the board i think would have given most other managers the time they given clough.

He was the cheap option. Unquestionably so. NL manager who would love to manage Derby. Can't see him calling our bluff for a big wage.

As for implying there was an expensive option, well there was. Anybody with any quality....but we weren't linked with them because we have no money.

They are only options if they want the job in the first place - we don't know if any of the suggestions wanted the job so they may never even have been options that the club could pursue in any circumstances.

They are only options if they want the job in the first place - we don't know if any of the suggestions wanted the job so they may never even have been options that the club could pursue in any circumstances.

The questio to Yr and Smiffy was who would they have got 2 1/2 years ago.

if the question was who would you have out of everyone that apllied....then it's unanswerable as we don't know.

The questio to Yr and Smiffy was who would they have got 2 1/2 years ago.

if the question was who would you have out of everyone that apllied....then it's unanswerable as we don't know.

It is also impossible to say he was the cheap option because we don't know how much he is on, how much others that applied wanted, what compensation Burton wanted compared to other clubs managers who may have been interested. It may just have been he was the best option when considering the rest of Bunny's questions

Who could we have appointed that had PROOF that he could work on long-term projects and run clubs on shoe-string budgets?

Who would have had the patience and would have accepted to work with a Derby County side that was probably the least attractive in the league whilst being told to slash it in half?

Who else would our ignorant fans have given so much time before blaming the results on the manager, ignoring the virtually impossible task laid before him?

no but someone else did :p and of course the fans don't sack the manager, the board do :p

Yes, but we all know how difficult we can make his job if we want to. There's been no significant effort to oust Clough from our fans.

If everyone is dissastisfied with him, then they wouldn't be sitting in silence.

Yes, but we all know how difficult we can make his job if we want to. There's been no significant effort to oust Clough from our fans.

If everyone is dissastisfied with him, then they wouldn't be sitting in silence.

I'd love to think we would be praising him in 6 months' time. firstly because I'm a Derby fan and secondly because I'm a fan of giving a manager time to build a team for the long term. We have a lot of youngsters and if the gambles pay off they will be assets for the future.

Archived