When do we give up on clough??

adamD

curbishley would have been diabolical? you mean the guy who did brilliant with charlton was close to europe and the year he left they went down and now are in the third tier? oh yeah he was awful.............

He was also cr*p at West Ham.

And he wouldn't be given the same time as Clough. He might have done slightly better but our fans would be far more forgiving with Clough finishing 18th or 14th than Curbishley finishing 14th or 12th. Curbishley just wouldn't have survived long enough, no matter what he did.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the fact that megson has achieved promotion from this division where as clough's biggest achievement technically was after 10 years gaining 1 promotion and on the verge of a second in the non league, and you still think megson is less qualified? actually it is on, because that opinion was so outlandish and even clough supporters recognise he got the job because of mainly his name, not because he was qualified. Having a good name doesn't mean you can do a good job or that you are any more worthy of the job than anyone else. The fans don't sack the manager, the board do and a lot of people wanted clough out towards the end of last season, just see the polls across the forums. At least 50% weren't sure if he was the right man for the job.

And he wouldn't be given the same time as Clough. He might have done slightly better but our fans would be far more forgiving with Clough finishing 18th or 14th than Curbishley finishing 14th or 12th. Curbishley just wouldn't have survived long enough, no matter what he did.

where did he finish at west ham and with what resources, remember a low finish doesn't mean you are crap ;) he did brilliantly at charlton and was more qualified than clough.

He left because of board intervention didn't he? Probably didn't help.

Is there any indication that Curbishley was actually interested in the job?

we have no idea who applied for the job so no-one can say if Nigel was or was not the most qualified person for the job.

All we have had is a list of names of managers that people would have liked to get the job, NOT a list of the options that were available to the club.

Is there any indication that Curbishley was actually interested in the job?

we have no idea who applied for the job so no-one can say if Nigel was or was not the most qualified person for the job.

All we have had is a list of names of managers that people would have liked to get the job, NOT a list of the options that were available to the club.

Correct, he could have been the only one.

Second thought, maybe he did not apply, maybe no one did?

where did he finish at west ham and with what resources, remember a low finish doesn't mean you are crap ;) he did brilliantly at charlton and was more qualified than clough.

Just wikipedia'd him, I was getting muddled up with my West Ham managers. Woops.

But he may have been more qualified than Clough in terms of career achievements, but he still does not have the name. When we went down, our fans were laughably expecting a quick return to the top flight. We came down with the worst squad in history and all Paul Jewell did was make it ever so slightly better - whilst spending **** loads in the process.

A top half finish that season or even the season after that was just no on the cards; not with the restrictions on the wage budget, not with the restrictions on the transfer budget and most certainly not with the squad we had. Curbishley may have got us to a mid-table finish but our fans expect so much more than that, and he would have gone by the time he'd have had the chance to make the side his own.

Clough's made some incredibly stupid substitutions and has shown himself to be tactically naive in some crucial matches. That's aside from the point though, because despite that, most fans are still in favour of him.

We've got the stability we need; a manager who's been through the ugly part of the GSE reign and now has the chance to build his own side completely. He's decided who's not right and now it is up to Clough who should be in. I don't think any other appointment would have survived as long to be in this enviable position.

Curbishley was appointed as Charlton manager in 1991 and got them promoted in 1998. Seven years. I rate Curbs as a manager but doubt he would've been allowed that amount of time to deliver at Derby. 'Fans' want instant success unfortunately and won't allow either managers or players the time to develop.

Just wikipedia'd him, I was getting muddled up with my West Ham managers. Woops.

But he may have been more qualified than Clough in terms of career achievements, but he still does not have the name. When we went down, our fans were laughably expecting a quick return to the top flight. We came down with the worst squad in history and all Paul Jewell did was make it ever so slightly better - whilst spending **** loads in the process.

A top half finish that season or even the season after that was just no on the cards; not with the restrictions on the wage budget, not with the restrictions on the transfer budget and most certainly not with the squad we had. Curbishley may have got us to a mid-table finish but our fans expect so much more than that, and he would have gone by the time he'd have had the chance to make the side his own.

Clough's made some incredibly stupid substitutions and has shown himself to be tactically naive in some crucial matches. That's aside from the point though, because despite that, most fans are still in favour of him.

We've got the stability we need; a manager who's been through the ugly part of the GSE reign and now has the chance to build his own side completely. He's decided who's not right and now it is up to Clough who should be in. I don't think any other appointment would have survived as long to be in this enviable position.

how do you know most fans are still in favor of him? have you polled every single derby county fan? but he still does not have the name? in all seriousness a name doesn't mean a jot on how good he is, again the fans don't decide when a manager is fired, the board does, the board would have stuck with him just as they have with clough i believe. Clough also had a squad full of his players last season we have now had 3 different teams essentially in 3 years. So if curbishley was in the frame, nigel wasn't the most qualified candidate for the job, I was expecting a mid table finish when we went down, not a play off contenders spot, though jewel did get us in the playoffs at one stage or at least close to it. The stability we need could be destroyed this season, if another poor season happens g.s.e will not renew his contract in my opinion.

To call others insane because they hold a different opinion is, well, insane.

Insanely insane, tbh imho.

no it isn't, i actually didn't call him insane at all, that belief he holds with the obsession of the name being everything i believe is frankly ludicrous and an insane belief, i called the belief not him, just like one might call a racist's belief insanity.

Curbishley was appointed as Charlton manager in 1991 and got them promoted in 1998. Seven years. I rate Curbs as a manager but doubt he would've been allowed that amount of time to deliver at Derby. 'Fans' want instant success unfortunately and won't allow either managers or players the time to develop.

As joint manager. Took sole control in 1995, won two promotions, and kept them in the PremierLeague.

I have no problem with Clough. I think he's done a brilliant job.....just find it amusing how he is defended to the death when a clearly better manager in terms of results and performances is put forward.

no it isn't, i actually didn't call him insane at all, that belief he holds with the obsession of the name being everything i believe is frankly ludicrous and an insane belief, i called the belief not him, just like one might call a racist's belief insanity.

may i refer you to post #309 on page 31.

For me its not about Curbishley being a better manager - its the insistence that he was an option without any sort of back up to the fact he was actually interested in the job.

That wasn't Duracells question though was it?

I refer you to post 281 on page 29

To be fair, I doubt that Curbishley would have had much interest considering what he (or anyone who was actually interviewed for the position) would have been asked to do. That is, if he came in and had to do what Nigel had done. It takes a brave man to accept a management position when asked to slash the wage bill and improve upon previous performances.

Also, on the whole Nigel point, I've said my piece. All I ask is people get the facts right.

Archived