Guess the formation?

RotherhamRam

If we go 442 I will be very angry. I'm currently watching the u21's under achieve because we keep getting outrun in midfield.

The Under 21s played 433 in the first game and got overrun there as well. It's not the formation that's the problem, it's the lack of technical ability in the squad.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no such thing as 'most effective' with formations. Every formation has strengths and weaknesses, every formation can be played badly or played well. What matters is deciding how you want to play and matching the players and formation to that. A 4-5-1 can be dreadful if the midfield are slow to support the striker, or if the striker doesn't hold the ball up well enough.

The Under 21s played 433 in the first game and got overrun there as well. It's not the formation that's the problem, it's the lack of technical ability in the squad.

I watched that game and i'm pretty sure they were playing a 442 with Cleverly and Rose on the wings with Sturridge and Wellbeck up front. They were out played rather than out numbered in that game too; it was a very good Spain side they were playing.

Anyhow; regarding Derby; I think from what Clough has said recently that he still fancied the 433/4231 formation:

"I think more than anything last season everybody has seen how we want to play.

"We know what we did to get to fourth, we think we know what we need to stay there and the sort of players we need, so that is the next target.

Give all 10 outfield players free roles, let's play football like the greats of Holland back in the 80s! There is nothing more exciting than having a left back break through and get a hat trick and the striker clear 4 off the line.. to then lose the game 9-11

• 1 month later...
I think he will play ward left side cutting in onto his right, just as he had the lad at Burton do, what he had teale doing and I normally don't compare but what is dad had with Hinton and Robinson. I heard from one of the coaching staff during a game of golf its back to 442 and sometimes 433. It's all his players and his way of playing now on

Told you

Archived