Sayings

dcfcdavecov

I was watching the Italian Job last night.

The famous ending with the bus over the edge of the cliff.... well, is that where the saying "cliff hanger" came from?

Spend a penny is an obvious one and how it came about, can anyone think of anymore?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was watching the Italian Job last night.

The famous ending with the bus over the edge of the cliff.... well, is that where the saying "cliff hanger" came from?

Spend a penny is an obvious one and how it came about, can anyone think of anymore?

Paul Merton is doing a thing on Hollywood and last week said 'cliff hanger' came from a film location used often in black and whites. Not sure how valid this is but thought I would mention it

The exception that proves the rule - If there is a stated exception, then there is an unstated rule. Free parking on Thursdays implies that you normally have to pay to park (Thursday is the exception, pay to park is the rule).

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....

absolute ******.....one in the bush is always worth two in the hand.

Summat I heard the other day - was how the handicapped got the name.

Beggars with missing limbs, etc - used to go 'cap in hand', begging, hence the word 'handicapped'

Rule of thumb - Is used because it was illegal to beat your wife with a switch (cut from a tree) that was thicker than your thumb.

As above this is the exception that proves the rule that it is legal to beat your wife with a switch that is thinner than your thumb;)

Archived