Shaun Barker on the phone!

Gaspode

A lot of fans agree with you, including most of the ones i know :mad: Luckily, they're wrong as well!:D

Lets hope your right, I might even sing Nigel Cloughs black and white Army. Followed by Nigel give us a wave Nigel,Nigel give us a wave! :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SillyBilly

If spending less for the same ***** is enough to please some people then so be it. I don't think we've been drastic enough in that case. I think Clough is still spending too much to only be able to justify an absymal 49 point return. We're certainly not a bottom 6 budget side. All I've seen is Clough kick out useless high earners (something anyone could have done) and then replace them with moderate championship earners who can only manage a bottom 6 (by a fair margin I may add) finish. I don't think hes worked wonders this season, I don't think he has even hit the minimum standard. I see no reason why we couldn't have, at the very least, matched last years haul.

A presumption!

I have looked at the bigger picture, Clough himself said he could not understand why our form changed after the departures of Kuqi, Fielding, Commons and Moxey!

The man is clueless IMO, which I am entitled too!

Even given all of the above, what concerns me most is his body language pitch side. He is either hiding or looks scared stiff, we need a motivator in the technical area. Nigel isn't strong enough for me!

However, it looks like he will be give some cash in the summer. When he fails in the first 10 games of the new season will you still be hailing him as a great success?????????

The thing is we were winning games when Kuqi wasn't playing, we started our losing run when fielding was in goals and when commons and moxey were in the team also, so how did you come to this conclusion?

From what I have seen he doesn't look scared stiff and he doesn't hide on the touch line. How do you know he is not a motivator? From what I have been told by a friend who works with clough for the last 8 or so years says he is very good motivator. He has to be strong to have to put up with the abuse he gets when we play f*rest, the weight of expectations from some fans, it is not the easiest job in football.

The season lasts for more than 10 games, where were we in Nov when we went up with TBE? 19th/20th?

I`m not a fan of GSE but haven`t they got us in better financial position. Less debt and a healthier wage bill ? And the time they have been running things the worlds economics has gone to hell. Not the easiest time to manage a football club.

Shame they don't appear to have culled admin expenses in line with players' wages.In our promotion season admin expenses came in at

£5.261m (down from c£6m under the amigos).In 09/10 they came in at

£8.532m (down from £9.676m in the previous season).

I've various sets of championship clubs' accounts,but unfortunately all but one don't separate out admin expenses.The only one I could find ,Ipswich (not the smallest of clubs),posted £3.546m in 08/09 (down from £4.188m the previous year).Even taking account of inflation,it seems odd that our admin expenses can be over £3m higher than the last time we appeared in the championship .

If spending less for the same ***** is enough to please some people then so be it. I don't think we've been drastic enough in that case. I think Clough is still spending too much to only be able to justify an absymal 49 point return. We're certainly not a bottom 6 budget side. All I've seen is Clough kick out useless high earners (something anyone could have done) and then replace them with moderate championship earners who can only manage a bottom 6 (by a fair margin I may add) finish. I don't think hes worked wonders this season, I don't think he has even hit the minimum standard. I see no reason why we couldn't have, at the very least, matched last years haul.

Whilst anyone might be able to get rid of high earners,I get annoyed (not directed at you) when some criticise the likes of Pringle,Buxton,Deeney,Roberts,Anderson etc.The squad had to be filled following the exits and I'd like to know the class of player that the critics would come up with for the fee money available on this group and the

level of wages paid.

I hear references to Reading,and how they had to flog off players.Let's get things into perspective-their Premiership first team was miles better than our own,ditto their squad (having built for over one year).Hence they were able to shed players and still have a decent squad.

SillyBilly
Whilst anyone might be able to get rid of high earners,I get annoyed (not directed at you) when some criticise the likes of Pringle,Buxton,Deeney,Roberts,Anderson etc.The squad had to be filled following the exits and I'd like to know the class of player that the critics would come up with for the fee money available on this group and the

level of wages paid.

I hear references to Reading,and how they had to flog off players.Let's get things into perspective-their Premiership first team was miles better than our own,ditto their squad (having built for over one year).Hence they were able to shed players and still have a decent squad.

Good points. I'm just at a loss to suggest why after 2 or 3 years (the duration of most contracts) we're still paying fairly good money for the same level of crap. I know Commons has gone, Hulse too but how many teams can afford to hold onto a Commons type player in this league. He was, on his day, the best this division had to offer. Not many clubs would even offer him the 15k + he wanted.

Good points. I'm just at a loss to suggest why after 2 or 3 years (the duration of most contracts) we're still paying fairly good money for the same level of crap. I know Commons has gone, Hulse too but how many teams can afford to hold onto a Commons type player in this league. He was, on his day, the best this division had to offer. Not many clubs would even offer him the 15k + he wanted.

Many would point out that Clough extended the contracts of some,but there again did he have much choice?We had to hold onto some experienced players-if we had no money to buy replacements for these he didn't have many options.Apart from anything else,you can't get away with scrapping an entire team (which we virtually tried in 08/09).

He may now have the opportunity to finally address all the issues and I for one will judge him on next season.If he fails,then his detractors will be vindicated (and vice versa)-assuming he's given reasonable backing.

SillyBilly
Many would point out that Clough extended the contracts of some,but there again did he have much choice?We had to hold onto some experienced players-if we had no money to buy replacements for these he didn't have many options.Apart from anything else,you can't get away with scrapping an entire team (which we virtually tried in 08/09).

He may now have the opportunity to finally address all the issues and I for one will judge him on next season.If he fails,then his detractors will be vindicated (and vice versa)-assuming he's given reasonable backing.

I'm up for that. Judgement next year, I agree. If he is given 3-4 mill + and runs a competitive (top 10) wage bill then I will expect that finish and nothing less.

I'm up for that. Judgement next year, I agree. If he is given 3-4 mill + and runs a competitive (top 10) wage bill then I will expect that finish and nothing less.

...and if that happened,then those of us who back Clough will be entitled/compelled to revise our opinions should relative success not be forthcoming.

Archived