If we get a new left back next season...

Asanovic

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long as Barker is back to his best. There's been times where he has looked very decent again this season, But with that extra yard of pace/movement then yes I agree.

Early stages, But Ayala looks capable of playing at the highest level.

Brayford is our player of the season and looking VERY assured in this division.

And Fielding has lot's of potential...If not a few aspects to improve on to become 'Top Class'.

The rest is just crossing fingers. Addison as sub CB and back to full fitness and best. Anderson fully fit and getting game time. Buxton their to put his body on the line..

And then A LB and someone like 'Billy Jones' and it certainly looks capable of being a decent defence. Just hope we can have some fully fit players playing how we expect them to next season.

I agree with having one of the best on paper, but then again that hasn't helped us much this season when they havee played together!

I agree we should get Billy Jones however think he should be our new DM who is able to cover anywhwere in defence, I think we a need LB to play leftback, for me i would go for Joe Matock (maybe if i say it enough Nige or Tommy might take note)

In fairness Barker is playing on a knackered knee, and Ayala is still very new to this level, but still showing glimpses of what he is capable of. In addition to that we've had no stability in goal which is pretty important.

I agree with having one of the best on paper, but then again that hasn't helped us much this season when they havee played together!

I agree we should get Billy Jones however think he should be our new DM who is able to cover anywhwere in defence, I think we a need LB to play leftback, for me i would go for Joe Matock (maybe if i say it enough Nige or Tommy might take note)

It's not just a defence that concedes goals.

Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Ayala, new LB.

Strongest defence along with Forest and Leicester (borrowed defence) imo. Ipswich have two monster CB's. Watford not too bad at times.

BUT, we'll still concede goals (and so will Leicester) if our defence is so poorly protected.

Green, Bailey, Savage, Pearson...... how many 50/50's and headers on the edge of our area do they win?

Addison wins 50/50's. But doesn't look very assured on the ball anymore. He also doesn't get about enough atm.

Green is slightly weak in the tackle and rarely wins headers.

Pearson is fairly weak in the tackle and has horrific defensive positioning.

Savage is weak and terrible in the air.

Bailey and Green are probably our best tacklers beyond the back four. And neither are going to win 9/10 50/50's.

Not saying the defence is brilliant. Or that the midfield is useless. Just that when Savage was in top form and Bailey was alongside him the defence was under far less pressure. Infact, due to the form and players that were playing at that time Bailey and Savage were under far less pressure thanks to players infront of them. Cywka niggles away. Kuqi. Even Commons was defending

Problem is our back 4 are always our FIRST line of defence. Infact, if we were playing without Brayford and Barker and had average Championship defenders i think we'd be relegated.

Brayford and Barker are two of the best in the division. Ayala looks very accomplished too. Imagine if they had the protection of someone like Olofinjana?

We need to give our fairly strong defence less to do. Without Barker i reckon we'd of been relegated last season and this season.

The worrying thing about the defence is it has looked fairly decent all season on paper but has still leaked goals left, right and centre. It is also an area where Nigel has spent abit of money. Defence is about the collective unit rather than the individuals. Perhaps it is training, midfield protection etc. I can't say I've heard of Swansea's backline and aren't they supposed to be pretty mean, albeit slipped a little of late.

Defending starts from the front, then midfield and then attack.. if the players in front of you aren't putting the work in doesn't matter how good you are, you're defensive record is going to be very poor.

3 very good players in defence, but no-one else pulling the weight in midfield.

Defending starts from the front, then midfield and then attack.. if the players in front of you aren't putting the work in doesn't matter how good you are, you're defensive record is going to be very poor.

3 very good players in defence, but no-one else pulling the weight in midfield.

Archived