Calling all Derby residents

ladyram

Evening Campers.

Me, Dav and our brood are relocating from crappy Stockport to Derby in the summer, due to redundancy which has been on the cards for a while now. Dav will be going back to Nottingham Uni for a very different career change.

Anyways, I've read countless Ofsted reports on both Primary & Secondary schools, some good, some not bad, some crap. From my experience though, one of the best ways to suss out what schools are really like is to ask other parents. So can any of you lovely people provide any info on

a) excellent schools (this is most important) near Ilkeston and surrounding areas

b) the closest area to these schools which would be a good place to live, low crime rates etc.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Ta campers :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm biased as i was brought up in Spondon and now live here with my family. where i live the crime rate is quite low you get the odd bits now and then but nothing very significant.

I went to Borrow wood and mine have all gone there too, youngest has just started. the 2 eldest both left the school with good sats results and the rest of the kids has high scores too.

Their ofsteds have been very high for a number of years now. the school has just become a primary school instead of an infants and juniors and has the one head teacher for both.

the one thing i did have a battle with them is with Ryan, he was always a clever little lad but struggled to get it down on paper and was labelled as a lazy boy :mad: a month at senior school and he was tested for dyslexia.

senior school i cant really help as my two eldest go to Landau Forte in town.

Many thanks for that Lyndsey - Ofsted is like you said, really good :)

I've got notes made on loads of schools but hadn't come across that one - so, new note made! Thanks again x

Evening Campers.

Me, Dav and our brood are relocating from crappy Stockport to Derby in the summer, due to redundancy which has been on the cards for a while now. Dav will be going back to Nottingham Uni for a very different career change.

Anyways, I've read countless Ofsted reports on both Primary & Secondary schools, some good, some not bad, some crap. From my experience though, one of the best ways to suss out what schools are really like is to ask other parents. So can any of you lovely people provide any info on

a) excellent schools (this is most important) near Ilkeston and surrounding areas

b) the closest area to these schools which would be a good place to live, low crime rates etc.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Ta campers :)

I go to ilkeston school,i like it, mum and dad rate it.

Our "rival"school is kirk hallam, this is the better school, loads of funding and people i know which attend it, love it :)

It's quite close to Ilkeston aswell.

wish you loads of luck with your move can be hard work trying to sort 101things out but just think how easy it will be to get to PP :D

Hehehe, I know - no more 2 hour treks and the badger population will be well chuffed :D It's a plus too that it isn't too far from Ilkeston

Ta hun x

I go to ilkeston school,i like it, mum and dad rate it.

Our "rival"school is kirk hallam, this is the better school, loads of funding and people i know which attend it, love it :)

Ta Rodders - I'm going to refresh my memory on Ilkeston School, my pa in law went there I think. Dav went to Ladywood Primary when he was a nipper but the Ofsted is well below par, it's in special measures I think :frown:

More notes made - Ilkeston & Kirk Hallam, thanks people! :D

Did Froggg pass his 11 plus exams then?

Did I eck...I went to Noel baker the year they changed from a grammer school to secondary....not that I turned up much.....was usually skiving off fishing or bird watching....:D:eek:

Hehehe, I know - no more 2 hour treks and the badger population will be well chuffed :D

This morning I had another talk with Herr Davenport, and here on my desk is the paper which bears his name as well as mine. It says:

“... We regard the settlement of the Derby-Stockport corridor as symbolic of the desire of our two species to never to go to war with one another again.â€

I believe it is peace for our time…

http://www.dachshundfriendshipclub.com/images/Badger-330

Brilliant Ramesses - that really made me laff :D

Let it be known that we can't agree on a truce yet, we've still got a few more runs down to PP to do from here before we shift :eek:

Think we should buy a tank :D

Thanks for all your input peoples, think Hucknall suggested Littleover, if Ofsted reports are to be believed, that school is excellent. Going to have a look at catchment areas now.

John Flamstead is a mid sized secondary friendly school in Denby. The surounding area is nice too. If you like the countryside on your doorstep.

Loads of Primary in the area too.

I can second that.......:D

My kids went to Ladywood, different head teacher then tho', she was excellent and so were the Ofsteds. New broom sweeps clean tho', and it is indeed in special measures now, sadly.

For senior school they went to St John Houghton, has consistently good/excellent Ofsteds and is a smaller senior school, around 600 pupils. We've been happy with the time spent there, they try to take time to develop the kids as adults and not just get them through their exams. It's a Catholic school tho' entry criteria changes each year seemingly but I think at some point you have to demonstrate some commitment to the Catholic or other Christian denomination faith. Kirk Hallam CTC is about 1500 kids and has received lots of funding over the last few years, they've got a new 6th form building and new all weather sports pitches, amongst other things. Also get good Ofsteads. For us it was a choice between those 2 as we live in Kirk Hallam and it's only a 10 minute walk from home to either school.

I think that Hallam Fields Primary is well regarded in the area, and is handily placed between Kirk Hallam CTC, St John Houghton and Ilkeston School - probably a 20 minute walk at most from Hallam Fields to all of those senior schools. I know that Scargill Primary in West Hallam certainly used to be very well regarded and consistently over-subscribed, not sure if that's still the case tho' - it's a few years now since we were looking at primaries. :)

If you're interested in crime rates, don't forget to use the official info from the Police -> http://www.police.uk/ Apparently, Kirk Hallam has an average crime rate. As does Spondon. As does Littleover. Stockport as a whole has an above average crime rate, so you're on to a winner wherever you go :)

My kids went to Ladywood, different head teacher then tho', she was excellent and so were the Ofsteds. New broom sweeps clean tho', and it is indeed in special measures now, sadly.

For senior school they went to St John Houghton, has consistently good/excellent Ofsteds and is a smaller senior school, around 600 pupils. We've been happy with the time spent there, they try to take time to develop the kids as adults and not just get them through their exams. It's a Catholic school tho' entry criteria changes each year seemingly but I think at some point you have to demonstrate some commitment to the Catholic or other Christian denomination faith. Kirk Hallam CTC is about 1500 kids and has received lots of funding over the last few years, they've got a new 6th form building and new all weather sports pitches, amongst other things. Also get good Ofsteads. For us it was a choice between those 2 as we live in Kirk Hallam and it's only a 10 minute walk from home to either school.

I think that Hallam Fields Primary is well regarded in the area, and is handily placed between Kirk Hallam CTC, St John Houghton and Ilkeston School - probably a 20 minute walk at most from Hallam Fields to all of those senior schools. I know that Scargill Primary in West Hallam certainly used to be very well regarded and consistently over-subscribed, not sure if that's still the case tho' - it's a few years now since we were looking at primaries. :)

If you're interested in crime rates, don't forget to use the official info from the Police -> http://www.police.uk/ Apparently, Kirk Hallam has an average crime rate. As does Spondon. As does Littleover. Stockport as a whole has an above average crime rate, so you're on to a winner wherever you go :)

Thanks Hartley. All useful information. We have been looking at Hallam Fileds this morning and houses around that school and they are reasonabley priced. Good to know they are quite near to the senior schools too - bus fares for school busses are extortionate and in Stockport are about to go up to £12 a week.:eek::eek::frown:

We have settled on moving to Ilkeston we think, just because when I finish at Uni it is well placed for commuting being so close to the motorway.

PS I just checked that police website - apparently our street was one of four witin a half mile radius of us that had no crime reported. We must have been lucky, or the Badgers have warned people off because they want revenge all to themselves

Archived