Artificial Clouds

Day

Qatari scientists say they have developed "artificial clouds" to provide shade for stadiums and training grounds at the 2022 World Cup.

The extreme heat in summer months in the Middle Eastern country has led to concern about conditions at the tournament, with some suggesting it should be played in the winter.

Qatar officials say they will air condition the stadiums via solar power and now scientists at Qatar University have designed the "cloud", which can be produced at a cost of $500,000 (£309,000) each.

Saud Abdul Ghani, the head of the mechanical and industrial engineering department, told Gulf News the "clouds" are made from a lightweight carbon structure carrying a giant envelope of material containing helium gas. Four solar powered engines move the structure via remote control.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/24/qatar-world-cup-clouds

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Play the games at night under the lights. It's always cold at nights in the desert, I can remember them telling us that at szhool.

I practically live in the desert, it's near 40 degrees everyday and doesn't rain here..

I can assure you it's not cold at night, it drops to about 17 degrees lowest in the winter, and 27-28ish in the summer (at night).

Now as the WC is in summer, it will still be ridiculously hot.. But 28 degrees at night is far better than artificial clouds IMO so this would be their best option.

I am guessing by your screen name that you live near Vegas, USA? All deserts are not the same, some get very cold at night- even below freezing.

I do agree that the WC is going to be an absolute farce over there though, I think that an absolute random nation may win it simply because the conditions are so harsh. Terrorism is going to be a major concern too. Take a bow FIFA- you continue to surprise me, alas, not in a good way

I am guessing by your screen name that you live near Vegas, USA? All deserts are not the same, some get very cold at night- even below freezing.

I do agree that the WC is going to be an absolute farce over there though, I think that an absolute random nation may win it simply because the conditions are so harsh. Terrorism is going to be a major concern too. Take a bow FIFA- you continue to surprise me, alas, not in a good way

I live in Mexico. And I agree, having the WC in Qatar was a farce, trying to spread the WC to unknown parts of the world is killing it for the true football fans of true footballing nations..

Whilst I was diappointed with us not getting it, at least Russia is a footballing nation (well, Ice Hockey too) but to give it to Qatar, give me a break..

I know that all deserts aren't the same, but just because one famous desert is freezing at night doesn't mean they're all like that.. Certianly here in Mexico, there are many areas that clan be classified as the desert, and I can assure you they are most definately not cold at night.

Archived