Blaming Clough is not the answer

ariotofmyown

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am in 100% agreement with this statement.

I don't believe any manager could do any better with what Nigel has had to work with. He has nothing at his disposal.

George Burley had an even worse board than GSE but he got us up to 4th in the Championship and playing some fantastic football. Pretty much all of his players were signed for free, I think we only paid for Michael Johnson who cost around £50k. We could be doing much better than we are.

I would have absolutely loved Nigel to get things right here, but I just don't think it's ever going to happen under the current circumstances at the club. We need a manager that's proven to do well in the Championship with little money.

Come on we all know 2 wins in 16 is all down to the board, its got nothing to do with Clough. Its not his fault we can't defend or we don't look like scoring goals at home. Another manager could do no better than we have been doing.[/quotes

surely sarcasm?

George Burley had an even worse board than GSE but he got us up to 4th in the Championship and playing some fantastic football. Pretty much all of his players were signed for free, I think we only paid for Michael Johnson who cost around £50k. We could be doing much better than we are.

I would have absolutely loved Nigel to get things right here, but I just don't think it's ever going to happen under the current circumstances at the club. We need a manager that's proven to do well in the Championship with little money.

Wages is the killer at the moment. Its doubtful that Burley would have attracted players with the current wage constraints.

Investment has nothing to do with poor substitutions.

Investment has nothing to do with criticising players in public.

Investment has nothing to do with playing our strikers too high up the pitch.

Investment has nothing to do with playing players unnecessarily out of position.

Our best season this side of millenium, for me, was under George Burley in the 04/05 season. There was little investment in that side, maybe even less than Nigel, and a much smaller wage budget. This club has rarely seen a more turbulent time behind the scenes than back then. And yet we tore apart sides on several occasions and should have been promoted.

We can't blame Nigel for everything, no. We're not going to win the league. But with the squad we had at the start of the season, a top-half finish was the absolute bare minimum requirement. At the end of November, it may not have been unreasonable to have raised this expectation.

To be where we are now from that inexplicable. Clough has got to do the right thing and resign.

Wages is the killer at the moment. Its doubtful that Burley would have attracted players with the current wage constraints.

Bisgaard was reported on 800 pounds a week.

Whilst Clough should be given money to have a real crack, and I want him to stay and be given a chance with money, I don't buy this 'no other manager could do better' it's pure lies.. It's like saying Clough was the best manager in that situation (when he joined)..

He came from a team 1st in the Blue Square Prem.. There was about 40 managers (with better records) at the clubs above them in the football league or out of work that we realistically could have chosen.

Clough isn't blameless what-so-ever.

Bisgaard was reported on 800 pounds a week.

Whilst Clough should be given money to have a real crack, and I want him to stay and be given a chance with money, I don't buy this 'no other manager could do better' it's pure lies.. It's like saying Clough was the best manager in that situation (when he joined)..

He came from a team 1st in the Blue Square Prem.. There was about 40 managers (with better records) at the clubs above them in the football league or out of work that we realistically could have chosen.

Clough isn't blameless what-so-ever.

nooooooo! look what he does with it! bottles the likes of billy sharp then gets us league one downwards average, not good enough players! cant imagine a sean o'driscoll or a steve mclaren doin that with money

I was one of those that was undecided about Clough as manager and mostly blamed the Board for the current situation. However, the signing of Ben Davies has changed my mind. It is quite obvious that Clough has tracked this player for a good 12 months - and I am sorry to say that Ben Davies looks completely out of his depth - and as for him being a dead ball expert! That's all the Commons money wasted! I no longer have any confidence in Clough making decent signings - a track record of Pringle, Buxton, Croft, Martin, Moxey (can't understand why we sold him), Porter, Roberts, Davies, Anderson, Deeney .... are not turning out to be good investments for one reason or another. Barker and Brayford appear to be the only successful permanent signings.

J

I was one of those that was undecided about Clough as manager and mostly blamed the Board for the current situation. However, the signing of Ben Davies has changed my mind. It is quite obvious that Clough has tracked this player for a good 12 months - and I am sorry to say that Ben Davies looks completely out of his depth - and as for him being a dead ball expert! That's all the Commons money wasted! I no longer have any confidence in Clough making decent signings - a track record of Pringle, Buxton, Croft, Martin, Moxey (can't understand why we sold him), Porter, Roberts, Davies, Anderson, Deeney .... are not turning out to be good investments for one reason or another. Barker and Brayford appear to be the only successful permanent signings.

J

here here.

J

Good first post

Shambolic second half, and a disaster totally down to Clough. Why take off Theo Robinson? the only striker with any speed? Green Brayford Ward - All out of position. Loan players forming the backbone of the team

Ben Davies = Absolute *****. No spirit or organisation, and heads went down too easily - definately no one to lead the team and show some passion. Robbie Savage should never play another game for us.

Probably the worst second half performance I have ever seen from a Derby County team.

DISGRACEFUL {~}

Maybe my hopes were raised by us getting a win at Brammall Lane, but that has to be down to Sheff Utd being so ****, as we made Donny look class - yet they had 10 players out injured FFS!

Lose to Barnsley and Clough MUST be replaced IMMEDIATELY. Barnsley game is last chance in my mind.

On the way home walking home alone, I thought for the first time ever in my time following Derby County - I probably won't bother with another season ticket.

Good first post

Shambolic second half, and a disaster totally down to Clough. Why take off Theo Robinson? the only striker with any speed? Green Brayford Ward - All out of position. Loan players forming the backbone of the team

Ben Davies = Absolute *****. No spirit or organisation, and heads went down too easily - definately no one to lead the team and show some passion. Robbie Savage should never play another game for us.

Probably the worst second half performance I have ever seen from a Derby County team.

DISGRACEFUL {~}

Maybe my hopes were raised by us getting a win at Brammall Lane, but that has to be down to Sheff Utd being so ****, as we made Donny look class - yet they had 10 players out injured FFS!

Lose to Barnsley and Clough MUST be replaced IMMEDIATELY. Barnsley game is last chance in my mind.

On the way home walking home alone, I thought for the first time ever in my time following Derby County - I probably won't bother with another season ticket.

agreed if we lose to barnsley...who are another side we could beat, not saying should! (thats how bad it is!) SURELY SURELY he's a gonner.

No he wouldn't..

Yes he would, by a mile. But its not really the point atm is it?

We should have been comfortable at half time 1-0 up, the players and management should have known this and come out 2nd half determined and professional and took summat out of the game.

Instead we panicked and lost it completely. Confidence, belief? That is down to Clough at the end of the day.

I've given up completely on Clough, especially after reading what he said about the "You don't know what you're doing" chants! :frown:

He really is totally incompetent all round. I so so so wanted him to succeed, now I feel he must go or else we are going down.

Non League Nigel - in my mind lose to Barnsley and you should do the decent thing and make way for a Manager who knows what he is doing and knows what he is talking about!

WTF do you expect him to say?

Thanks..... I did'nt realise I did'nt know what i was doing?

Come on, his comments after a result like that are not actually important right now.

Its results now, nowt else will matter.

I think his after match comments are very important, and sums up for me that he really doesn't know what he's doing!

Archived