Hooper and Commons

PeteDerby

Don't know if any of you saw Hooper and Commons for Celtic today, but I was left wondering what might have been if we'd just paid the going rate rather than trying to penny-pinch on the deal they wanted.

With Hooper up front, we might have given a serious message of intent both internally and externally, made progress as a team, and still have Kris Commons supplying the goods.

As it is, Celtic have what we could have had - and looked all the better for it.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know if any of you saw Hooper and Commons for Celtic today, but I was left wondering what might have been if we'd just paid the going rate rather than trying to penny-pinch on the deal they wanted.

With Hooper up front, we might have given a serious message of intent both internally and externally, made progress as a team, and still have Kris Commons supplying the goods.

As it is, Celtic have what we could have had - and looked all the better for it.

Too bad, I guess. No point dwelling on it.

Onwards and downwards err... I mean Upwards!

Too bad, I guess. No point dwelling on it.

Onwards and downwards err... I mean Upwards!

I think there is a point in discussing it, though - not the deals themselves; as you say, they're long gone, but the mentality behind them still remains.

GSE say that they are doggedly sticking to their plan. A plan which, thus far, sees the manager identify a player in terms of their ability and fit with the team, then we fck about for a few weeks offering way below what the selling club wants, and then another club ends up with their services.

And look back through the fans' debate on Hooper in this thread, with many saying he wasn't worth the asking price and how Derby has to stick within the GSE defined budget.

Well, I challenge that mentality - because look where it's got us.

Why are people still going on about Commons?

He was an injured liability much of his time here, did his usual trick of putting in a stint towards the end of his contract, made himself attractive and was predictably off in a flash.

He's never shown any loyalty to any club he's been at. Nothing against that personally - the loyalty belongs in the stands, not on the pitch.

He played for us, scored a few memorable goals, went through mixed patches of mediocrity, injury and brilliance, and we managed to get a few quid for him on the way out.

Thanks for the memories Kris, and I (genuinely) wish you well for the rest of your career.

He was an injured liability much of his time here, did his usual trick of putting in a stint towards the end of his contract, made himself attractive and was predictably off in a flash.

He's never shown any loyalty to any club he's been at. Nothing against that personally - the loyalty belongs in the stands, not on the pitch.

He played for us, scored a few memorable goals, went through mixed patches of mediocrity, injury and brilliance, and we managed to get a few quid for him on the way out.

Thanks for the memories Kris, and I (genuinely) wish you well for the rest of your career.

It wasn't really a hooper, commons or GSE protest post, but really just to reflect on how good those guys looked and how, with the right action at the right time, they could both be still at Derby and, arguably, we wouldn't be in the position we're in now.

I argue against Celtic and Rangers being cr@p teams just because they play in the SPL. They are certainly better than anything I've seen from the Championship, and that is the level we're trying to improve in.

I'm disapointed in a way that this thread has been moved to 'football talk', because the debating point I was trying to get going - using Hooper and Commons as the connection - was on Derby County fans' previously expressed opinions on paying money for players like Hooper.

Had the club matched Ssausagehorpe's valuation as Celtic did, then that kind of statement of intent might just have convinced KC that it was worth sticking with us.

OK, so we 'saved' £500K on the gap between the fee Ssausagehorpe wanted and we were prepared to pay, but how many loan fees have we paid out since and got fk-all in terms of consistency or longevity in return?

It takes me back to Jim Smith's "A club like Derby can't afford to pay £4million for the likes of Gudjonsen..." - then proceeded to pay out £9.2million for crock Strupar, forgery Fuertes and that other crock winger whose name escapes me, but ended up at Burton Albion if I remember right.

It's a club fan-base mentality - we think small, and then end up with 'small' with alarming regularity.

Yeah after months and months of talks. By the time we offered it him he knew Celtic/Rangers wanted him

How long before he's out with another hamstring ?

Great while he's playing but he gets injured too often.

Have Derby anyone in the youth team about to break through ?

It wasn't really a hooper, commons or GSE protest post, but really just to reflect on how good those guys looked and how, with the right action at the right time, they could both be still at Derby and, arguably, we wouldn't be in the position we're in now.

I argue against Celtic and Rangers being cr@p teams just because they play in the SPL. They are certainly better than anything I've seen from the Championship, and that is the level we're trying to improve in.

I'm disapointed in a way that this thread has been moved to 'football talk', because the debating point I was trying to get going - using Hooper and Commons as the connection - was on Derby County fans' previously expressed opinions on paying money for players like Hooper.

Had the club matched Ssausagehorpe's valuation as Celtic did, then that kind of statement of intent might just have convinced KC that it was worth sticking with us.

OK, so we 'saved' £500K on the gap between the fee Ssausagehorpe wanted and we were prepared to pay, but how many loan fees have we paid out since and got fk-all in terms of consistency or longevity in return?

It takes me back to Jim Smith's "A club like Derby can't afford to pay £4million for the likes of Gudjonsen..." - then proceeded to pay out £9.2million for crock Strupar, forgery Fuertes and that other crock winger whose name escapes me, but ended up at Burton Albion if I remember right.

It's a club fan-base mentality - we think small, and then end up with 'small' with alarming regularity.

Lee Morris?

Couldn't agree with you more.

Wouldn't trust him with a fiver. But good luck to the fella in that mickey mouse league.

Cheers for the goal vs Man Utd. Me favourite that!

Ta'ra Krissy

When we signed Lee Morris it was the most annoyed i've been at signing a player other than Laurent Robert and Sav.

I mean, this fella barely had two legs. His career was over before we signed him!!

Wasn't Kozluk part of the deal? Or have i remembered that wrong?

Generally, I see the point of the thread is lost, so let's wait until the next round of justifications for missing or losing players and listen to the same old 'Derby can't afford / he's not worth.... / no loyalty' arguments to come around again (and again, and again).

Archived