Wenger looking at the Championship/League One..

Heisenberg

Arsene Wenger is turning to the Football League in his *pursuit of new players.

For years the Arsenal *manager has been accused of scouring the continent and turning his back on* *homegrown talent *outside the Premier.

But the success of Theo Walcott, signed from then Championship side *Southampton, has helped change the Gunners’ *recruitment strategy.

Wenger said: “It looks more and more that there are many good young players coming out of these clubs too.

“Look at Nottingham Forest for example – they are all good young players.

“Derby too, and Ipswich who we played recently, have *produced Connor Wickham.

“So there are good young *players down there.

“Maybe the academy rules help them too, because teams cannot take young players from other clubs’ areas.â€

Asked in the Arsenal club magazine if his club are *actively scouting lower *divisions, Wenger said: “We are looking inside *England and not only the Champion-ship, but also League One.â€

“Look at Nottingham Forest for example – they are all good young players.

“Derby too, and Ipswich who we played recently, have *produced Connor Wickham.

“So there are good young *players down there.

“Maybe the academy rules help them too, because teams cannot take young players from other clubs’ areas.â€

Asked in the Arsenal club magazine if his club are *actively scouting lower *divisions, Wenger said: “We are looking inside *England and not only the Championship, but also League One.â€

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-turning-to-the-Championship-and-League-One-for-stars-of-the-future-admits-Arsene-Wenger-article702081.html

Cant really think who he is looking at to be honest?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting.

I'd have thought he'd be wanting younger than Brayford and Bailey, but not sure who he might want.

What's the significance of the *?

Not too sure what that is to be honest, It just came with the article, as you can see i also copied two parts of the piece of writing..oops.:p

It'll likely be Bailey and Brayford.

Both potential to play in the PL. Bailey perhaps has the raw potential to play for a top end PL side.

All the admirers of Addison wont have forgotten about him completely and might monitor his return?

Should really be naming Crewe though rather than us?

I've been surprised that Addison hasn't had more interest in him despite the injury, he has a huge amount of potential. I'll be expecting enquiries this summer if he can maintain his fitness and his form, anything under £10M + add ons for him would be unacceptable.

Mark O'Brien could another one he's looking at.

There is only Brayford and Bailey really, I don't think I could ever see them playing in the top 4 of the premiership but again, football is a mysterious game, never would of thought Bale would of ever made the impact he has, especially after being dubbed a poor over hyped youngster only a year ago.

I think the ex crewe boys have makings of 2 very good premiership players though, Bailey looks like one day he'll be able to pass a ball through the eye of a needle, I think his impact just through 'pulling the strings' in midfield is huge. I think Brayford showed signs of being a complete full back, especially a few months ago he had seemed to have everything and dictated that right side like an experienced professional!

I also think Addison might be one, but I would never think arsenal would like that sort of player perhaps they need someone like him, he is physical and think he would do the same job in the premiership that he does in the championship, keeps things simple and uses his physical side on the game.

Steve Davies? perhaps, is brilliant when he is fit... infact watching him in that game against manutd was one of my favourite performances of modern years, looked so raw, direct, quick, agile and strong.. fabio/rafeal couldn't handle him, just went passed him every time.

other players in the football league, obvious to mention oxide-chamberlain at southampton who is the next big thing apparently and dale jennings at tranmere turning a few heads, adam lallana is supposed to be the best player in league one.

I do agree there is a lot of talent in the two divisions, infact a team getting promotion with a bit of money and ambition could just pick and choose the best players for the 2nd/3rd divisions and build a team capable of competing in the premiership. I don't know how many players are in the divisions that will one day become an established top 4 player, chamberlain, jennings, loach and wickham seem likely candidates.

He maybe mentioned us as a slight past test ie Huddleston, Riggs, Barnes, camp, grant etc. I cant see addison ever being a top level midfielder, he isnt anywhere near good enough on the ball, maybe a centre half. I like both Brayford and Bailey but can only really see them as mid table prem players.

That Wickham at Ipswich looks a talent, only 17 isn't he? Always good to see the younguns making an impact. I reckon that Waghorn at Leicester will come good, under good stewardship at Leicester. Also has proven talent to learn from in Yakubu and Vassel. Top 4 team players, not sure.

I think Brayford more than Bailey will get Premiership football, not sure Bailey carries the same amount of ambition and confidence as Brayford.

Addison for me needs to make more of an impression. His work ethic, faultless and of course he's a tank so should be winning the battles. But his distribution is extremely weak at the moment, which, coming from defence or midfield, obviously he needs to sharpen up. Premiership experience, sure.

It is good to see Wilshere and Josh McEachran at Chelsea getting chances, making impressions. The future of English football actually looks more positive than the media make out.

Archived