It's only because his name is Clough

Toadbelly

Is anyone else sick to death of the wrist slashers on here constantly accusing everyone else of only backing Nigel because of his name? It is such a lame argument. Criticize his tactics, his signings, and his man-management if you must but to suggest he only still has a job because of his name is pathetic.

Many of us feel that, given the financial restraints he is under, Nigel is doing a decent job. Not an earth-shatteringly good job perhaps, but un acceptable one. We would think the same if his name was Revie, Jewell, or Davis.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is anyone else sick to death of the wrist slashers on here constantly accusing everyone else of only backing Nigel because of his name? It is such a lame argument. Criticize his tactics, his signings, and his man-management if you must but to suggest he only still has a job because of his name is pathetic.

Many of us feel that, given the financial restraints he is under, Nigel is doing a decent job. Not an earth-shatteringly good job perhaps, but un acceptable one. We would think the same if his name was Revie, Jewell, or Davis.

Part in bold a typo?

Yes, not exactly sick to death but fed up of people using the same old arguments to support there opinion without really taking any of the facts into consideration.

The other one is "He knew about the constraints when he joined" which must be utter tosh, because nobody else knew how bad it was going to be. He's literally been hung out to dry.

I'm beginning to think the owners/investors have issues with Derby as a city, a personal vendetta if you will. Destroy the club, destroy the history that goes along with it.

Everything is against Clough making a positive impact. Stripping the club of it's assets and expected to maintain the clubs position, or better still, improve season by season is a joke of support from the board.

Added to that, there is no sign of them putting up if only to sustain our Championship status and no sign of them selling.

I'm resigned to the fact this season is over, and almost for next season. Unless they invest, we're doomed.

You can't expect lower league potentials to rise with a squad full of development players. There's only Barker and Bywater (i don't count Savage because he's irregular this season) that are 'senior' professionals and they don't perform week in week out.

We look at Cywka, Brayford, S.Davies and B.Davies to produce the goods. Cywka is breaking himself into first team football, Brayfords first season at this level, S.Davies out for an age and B.Davies has never played at this level. Without other players around them that have solid experience at this level, they're all screwed. Must be hard to be a DCFC player.

It's absolutely unfathomable that the board have ever aspired for premiership status.

I have to admit, and it doesn't help toadbelly make his point, that the name Clough makes me want to not lose him.

There is a romantic side to having a Clough at Derby. And having a man that knows Derby people too. Just feels right.

But most the reason i like him in charge is because he came here with a job to do. Lowering the wage bill while maintaining or improving the performance on the pitch.

He's done that. We're no worse off than when he got here. We're not better. Off the pitch though we're better.

His job is done. Now it'd be nice to see the board back him for his next job. Premier League. A job which now the wage bill is down needed to start in January at least!!

The smaller picture suggests he makes many mistakes. The big picture shows he's got the wage bill down and kept us at the same level. He's done an acceptable job and should be allowed to take the next step.

I believe the board picked Clough because they knew the name might keep fans at bay. It wont work forever though.

But i personally can't deny i'm scared he'll go down the A52 and get a certain team in the Europa League.

Clough just feels right.

Only speaking for myself btw. Relax! just my opinion!

I have to admit, and it doesn't help toadbelly make his point, that the name Clough makes me want to not lose him.

There is a romantic side to having a Clough at Derby. And having a man that knows Derby people too. Just feels right.

But most the reason i like him in charge is because he came here with a job to do. Lowering the wage bill while maintaining or improving the performance on the pitch.

He's done that. We're no worse off than when he got here. We're not better. Off the pitch though we're better.

His job is done. Now it'd be nice to see the board back him for his next job. Premier League. A job which now the wage bill is down needed to start in January at least!!

The smaller picture suggests he makes many mistakes. The big picture shows he's got the wage bill down and kept us at the same level. He's done an acceptable job and should be allowed to take the next step.

I believe the board picked Clough because they knew the name might keep fans at bay. It wont work forever though.

But i personally can't deny i'm scared he'll go down the A52 and get a certain team in the Europa League.

Clough just feels right.

Only speaking for myself btw. Relax! just my opinion!

It' just the knowing of what he's had to contend with since joining, and the wonderment of his potential isn't it. We all want him to do well, because he's a Clough, but he's not exactly been handed a ladder to climb up with. More like a piece of very thin string, that keeps snapping and every time they (investors or whoever) lower another one down it's even thinner.

nobody is helping here. :mad:

Sorry mate. lol.

Lots of people do support Nigel for better reasons.

Just please don't let him go and pick up a half decent Forest side and get them in the Europa League.

It wont sit well!! :mad:

I'm not interested in the Clough name. All I'm aware of is the club I love is treading water, running on the spot, not moving forward or competing with similar sized clubs ... what can you say ?

Treading water performance and league position wise. No worse off despite having a cheaper and younger squad. A squad that may well stick together for a few years and develop.

He was hired because of his name.

He hasn't done badly in two years considering the massive restraints he's been under.

But, and it's a big but (ooh err) his recent tactics and team selections have been terrible. His post-match interviews have been awful too and the current way he is operating things is more likely to get us relegated than promoted.

However who the **** else is going to come to this club and not kick up a fuss about the lack of kitty? So we kind of have no option but to keep him here. It's a strange logic I know but I want Clough here even though we're going nowhere.

Treading water performance and league position wise. No worse off despite having a cheaper and younger squad. A squad that may well stick together for a few years and develop.

That's how i see it.

Can see some of the finer details though in the bigger picture. He's made plenty of mistakes. Can see why people are frustrated with him.

Guess it depends on whether your a big picture optimistic type or you like to judge things one step at a time.

Still, either way i don't see why he should be sacked.

For me we're in a better state now than we were a couple years ago. And all the CLough name has done is allow fans to give a manager the time to do a job imo

nobody is helping here. :mad:

I don't think anyone can help but romanticise with the name Clough and it's history.

But i digress, the restraints Clough has had to deal with since joining the club are mind boggling. Many other managers would have failed, and we could actually be a league one club by now if it wasn't for Clough. I believe the signings he's had to make (mostly for the development side of things) have been clever, it's just a shame he hasn't been able to sign that little bit of class.

Those who blame Clough use the same argument time and time again, not thinking about tight reign he's under. Every manager makes mistakes, but because of our recent history everything is under a huge microscope.

Things could be a lot worse without somebody with Derby in their heart.

I definitely have more patience with him because of his name, his decisions are pretty bad at times imo and his backroom staff appear to be amateur-ish. I think his name got him the job, can you imagine the reaction towards the yanks if we had took on Nigel Smith from Burton Albion? At best we would have been markedly underwhelmed. I do however think he should (2+ years into the job) have managed to equilibrate expenditure to league position at the very least. We have a top 12 budget I'd assume (well I'd hope so otherwise it would be a disgrace) and therefore he should be expected to finish there.

I definitely have more patience with him because of his name, his decisions are pretty bad at times imo and his backroom staff appear to be amateur-ish. I think his name got him the job, can you imagine the reaction towards the yanks if we had took on Nigel Smith from Burton Albion? At best we would have been markedly underwhelmed. I do however think he should (2+ years into the job) have managed to equilibrate expenditure to league position at the very least. We have a top 12 budget I'd assume (well I'd hope so otherwise it would be a disgrace) and therefore he should be expected to finish there.

When you look at the Cardiffs (who do actually get to spend more on transfers and wages than us), Burnley (before the premiership fling), Norwich (time in league 1 to rebuild, confidence blooming after winning that league), Ipswich, Swansea and a few other clubs in this league, they've all had that time to build a squad.

You get players (good ones) who stick around (Brayford, Bailey, Cywka, S.Davies, Addison) and become the heart of the club. You then build upon it with established quality who come and go, or some of those stick around, whatever. The point is, if you're not willing to break the bank it takes time.

However, with Derby i think they're being a bit to tight. We should be able to sign the likes of Waghorn, Hooper, Sharp et al on free's or for a bit of cash AND be able to pay the wages. That's the most perplexing thing about DCFC at the moment. We've been told we're debt free, bar the mortgage on PP. Doncaster can afford Sharp.

But alas, as much as the board frustrate me, maybe they're learning a harsh lesson at the moment. I hope they invest more, or sell up, whatever is best for the club....if they really care about it.

Clough will stick around if the board keep him, he won't walk, and that endears me more to him than his name. His balls! Some managers would disappear for a few years, maybe never manage again after this kind of spell. Not Clough, he's here to succeed.

That's how i see it.

Can see some of the finer details though in the bigger picture. He's made plenty of mistakes. Can see why people are frustrated with him.

Guess it depends on whether your a big picture optimistic type or you like to judge things one step at a time.

Still, either way i don't see why he should be sacked.

For me we're in a better state now than we were a couple years ago. And all the CLough name has done is allow fans to give a manager the time to do a job imo

In that bigger picture can we include smaller clubs doing better than us right now, and a few local clubs doing much better ?

How long do we have to wait until we get a team which has genuine promotion aspirations?

This division is tough to get out of they say, but it's full of very ordinary sides and clubs.

I am not so sure...An up and coming local manager called Nigel Smith who had taken local team Burton Albion from total obscurity to the football league. A man who played at the top level, represented his country, and played under one of the greatest managers to grace the game who was also his dad. The name is irrelevant...the pedigree has some clout.

I am not so sure...An up and coming local manager called Nigel Smith who had taken local team Burton Albion from total obscurity to the football league. A man who played at the top level, represented his country, and played under one of the greatest managers to grace the game who was also his dad. The name is irrelevant...the pedigree has some clout.

The name certainly isn't irrelevant, it's a reason as to why he got the club and it's a reason as to why fans are being so patience with him. It's a very difficult job that he has on here, but I for one think he's done a pretty good job and hope he continues doing it for a very long time. The fact that he's a derby man and a Clough just make it so much better

Archived