simon clough as chief scout?

RAMKING

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rumour has it that Simon was the better player, just never wanted it the same

"I've heard a rumour" that I can't see desire as ever being the reason why Simon didn't make it. He had the heart of a lion.

I've also "heard" he was a very decent player at amatuer level. I'm fairly confident if it wasn't for his injuries - he might have got a couple of chances to prove he was quality.

such is life at times - no-one will ever know for sure- not even him.

I've heard a rumour he will do a great job as a scout, his reading of the game is brilliant, he spots things your average joe bloggs wouldn't - both in a game and in a player.

I've heard he was brought up on football the right way.

This might get lost in all the clough out/ board out tripe, but I've heard a rumour that the cloughs in general are a proper football family with principles on what type of character should be in football.

I've heard a rumour that they reckon Simon might be able to recognise what his brother looks for in a player. I've heard he's spent the best part of his life alongside his brother watching professional players of real class play at the highest level, I've heard a rumour his dad used to take his opinion as highly as he took anyone elses.

Once everything settles down - people might see that if this lot don't want what's best for Derby - no-one ever will.

time - that's all is needed. That and a spine from all at DCFC - board, manager, coaching staff, players, FANS... They all need to stand up and be counted. They've all got things wrong these last few weeks.

I do think NC has made one or two decisions this week that at first glance look bizarre but he must have his reasons, he doesn't send out a side deliberately looking not to play well.

I think they should have been a bit braver at 1-1 - but I also understand why the first thought in every ones mind - was for christ sakes lets not lose.

No need to risk hounding NC out before he get's it right.

By the way the chief scout is fine. If he's on more than Kris Commons a week and that's the reason contract talks are stalling - then you might have a point about nepotism.

I suspect it's not the case at all - I suspect he's in on merit.

i've posted on this subject before.

i think its not particularly good. Read the Ron Jukes biography. A scout should be able to spot a player when others can't. Alot of managers happily acknowledge that they can't tell whether a young player has got it or not.

The secret of the Clough Taylor partnership was Peter Taylor was a great scout. Able to spot the players with potential while Cloughies charisma and man management got those players to realise their potential.

If Nigel fails it will be for the same reason that all managers fail - His signings werent good enough.

i've posted on this subject before.

i think its not particularly good. Read the Ron Jukes biography. A scout should be able to spot a player when others can't. Alot of managers happily acknowledge that they can't tell whether a young player has got it or not.

The secret of the Clough Taylor partnership was Peter Taylor was a great scout. Able to spot the players with potential while Cloughies charisma and man management got those players to realise their potential.

If Nigel fails it will be for the same reason that all managers fail - His signings werent good enough.

There's only one Clough and Taylor. Not many (if any) have repeated what they have and what they had together. Closest I can think of is O'neil and Robertson - and they've won bugger all really.

Simon was brought up knowing what a player should be doing "off the ball" as much as on it.

He was brought up knowing how to spot when a players head had dropped or when they'd shot it...he was brought up knowing if someone had bottle or not.

Don't compare it to Clough and Taylor though- Simon is chief scout I think I read - not assistant manager to possibly the greatest manager the game ever produced? (i think fergie has overtaken that now - but different era different resources).

he can spot a player - if that's his job - he'll do it fine.

"I've heard a rumour" that I can't see desire as ever being the reason why Simon didn't make it. He had the heart of a lion.

I've also "heard" he was a very decent player at amatuer level. I'm fairly confident if it wasn't for his injuries - he might have got a couple of chances to prove he was quality.

such is life at times - no-one will ever know for sure- not even him.

I've heard a rumour he will do a great job as a scout, his reading of the game is brilliant, he spots things your average joe bloggs wouldn't - both in a game and in a player.

I've heard he was brought up on football the right way.

This might get lost in all the clough out/ board out tripe, but I've heard a rumour that the cloughs in general are a proper football family with principles on what type of character should be in football.

I've heard a rumour that they reckon Simon might be able to recognise what his brother looks for in a player. I've heard he's spent the best part of his life alongside his brother watching professional players of real class play at the highest level, I've heard a rumour his dad used to take his opinion as highly as he took anyone elses.

Once everything settles down - people might see that if this lot don't want what's best for Derby - no-one ever will.

time - that's all is needed. That and a spine from all at DCFC - board, manager, coaching staff, players, FANS... They all need to stand up and be counted. They've all got things wrong these last few weeks.

I do think NC has made one or two decisions this week that at first glance look bizarre but he must have his reasons, he doesn't send out a side deliberately looking not to play well.

I think they should have been a bit braver at 1-1 - but I also understand why the first thought in every ones mind - was for christ sakes lets not lose.

No need to risk hounding NC out before he get's it right.

By the way the chief scout is fine. If he's on more than Kris Commons a week and that's the reason contract talks are stalling - then you might have a point about nepotism.

I suspect it's not the case at all - I suspect he's in on merit.

++++1!!

Excellent post sir, hope to read more from you!

Rigamortis, some passionate prose from one so dead....

However even you acknowledge that NC has made some bizarre decisions in the last little while.

The massive question is will he learn from these mistakes...

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing (Forest / Crawley) and expect different results.

Not suggesting NC is insane but if he has not learned form this (i.e. if we see Brayford at CB and PG or DL at RB again) then the verdict will be in!

Archived