Andy Carroll to Derby June 9th 2008

DCFC-2010

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/RAMS-SET-CHASE-TOON-ACE/article-184706-detail/article.html

RAMS SET TO CHASE TOON ACE

By pgreen richard gadsby rgadsby@derbytelegraph.co.uk

DERBY County could turn to Newcastle United teenager Andy Carroll as Paul Jewell looks to rebuild the Rams' strikeforce.

Speculation also continues to link West Bromwich Albion hitman Kevin Phillips with Derby – with the club admitting an interest – while Kenny Miller is set to follow fellow striker Rob Earnshaw through the Pride Park exit this week after talks with Rangers.

The Rams ended their pursuit of Sheffield United's Rob Hulse on Saturday and may opt for 19-year-old Carroll (main picture).

The 6ft 3ins Toon target man has made 13 appearances and one start for the Magpies since coming through the St James' Park youth system.

He became the youngest Newcastle player to play in Europe when he made his debut for the club as a late substitute against Palermo in November, 2006 at the age of 17 years and 300 days.

Carroll scored his first senior goal in a 2-0 friendly win over Juventus last July and was praised by Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, who tipped the striker for big things.

In September, Carroll made his England Under-19 debut against Belarus, scoring in a 4-0 victory. Unfortunately, the striker, along with Scott Sinclair and Ryan Bertrand, was sent home after breaking curfew.

He spent five months on loan with Preston North End last season, making 12 appearances, and scored his first league goal in a 1-1 draw with Leicester City.

West Brom's Phillips is out of contract this summer but is keen to stay at the Hawthorns following their promotion to the Premier League.

The 34-year-old has been holding out for a two-year contract but, with the Baggies only offering a one-year deal, a host of clubs have expressed an interest.

Leeds United, Barnsley, QPR and Stoke City have all been linked, although Phillips has reportedly said privately he would be tempted by a switch to Pride Park if the relegated Rams offered him a two-year deal.

Phillips (below left) hit 22 goals in 35 appearances in the Championship last season.

The striker's contract talks with Albion are set to continue this week.

Meanwhile, Leeds United have played down suggestions they are interested in Rams winger Gary Teale.

Reports last week said they were lining up a £500,000 bid for the player but the club claim they are no longer interested, following an attempt to sign the Scottish international in January.

Reports over the weekend also suggested Birmingham City may be interested in Rams midfielder Stephen Pearson.

What a signing this would have been hey? Any one know of any one else apart from Yakubu who we could have signed that went on to be a very good player?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just randomly remembred about it and thought I would search for it on the DET and I found it.

I am sure we were very close to signing Gael Clichy on loan in 2005? but it could be someone else as I can't find a link but I do think it was him and then he got injured and look at him now.

Meanwhile, Leeds United have played down suggestions they are interested in Rams winger Gary Teale.

Reports last week said they were lining up a £500,000 bid for the player but the club claim they are no longer interested, following an attempt to sign the Scottish international in January.

Reports over the weekend also suggested Birmingham City may be interested in Rams midfielder Stephen Pearson.

Someone wanted Teale for £500,000 and someone was in for Pearson.:eek:

I just randomly remembred about it and thought I would search for it on the DET and I found it.

I am sure we were very close to signing Gael Clichy on loan in 2005? but it could be someone else as I can't find a link but I do think it was him and then he got injured and look at him now.

Yes, just look at him, he is absolutely hated by every Arsenal fan in the world and generally regarded as the worst player in their team and the main reason they wil win nothing again this season....truly awful player...

Yes, just look at him, he is absolutely hated by every Arsenal fan in the world and generally regarded as the worst player in their team and the main reason they wil win nothing again this season....truly awful player...

They'll win the Carling Cup. Ipswich over two-legs, then either West Ham or Birmingham in the final.

Archived