Sheffield United's Gary Speed edges closer to Wales job

Hucknall Ram

Sheffield United have given the Football Association of Wales permission to speak to Gary Speed over the vacant Wales manager's post.

The FAW would have to pay Championship club United compensation if the former Wales captain is to be released from his three-year deal at Bramall Lane.

It is understood Speed, 41, could be confirmed as John Toshack's successor as early as Tuesday.

Speed himself has remained tight-lipped on the Wales link.

"Sheffield United has given Gary Speed permission to speak to the Welsh FA with regard to the position of International manager, and a further statement is expected to be made on Tuesday," said a statement on the Blades website.

"Meanwhile, coach John carver will continue to take the Blades' training session today as normal."

Former midfielder Speed, who is Wales' most-capped outfield player, told the BBC on Saturday that he "is not envisaging anything" and insisted that the speculation had not been a distraction after United's 1-0 defeat at Barnsley.

"Not one bit," he retorted when questioned.

"If you're weak-minded you can use that as an excuse but I'm not using it as an excuse and the players certainly won't be using it as an excuse."

United are just one point above the Championship relegation zone and Speed has won just six of his 18 games in charge since taking his first managerial job in August.

And Speed insisted Saturday's defeat at Oakwell was not his last game as United boss.

"Unless you have heard something that I haven't, I'm not sure," Speed said.

"I don't know, I haven't time to think and haven't thought about. I'm not envisaging anything at the moment."

Welsh FA chief executive Jonathan Ford told BBC Sport "no comment" when asked on Saturday if Speed would be offered the job.

Former Sweden manager Lars Lagerbeck, former Fulham manager Chris Coleman, ex-Wales striker John Hartson and Welsh caretaker manager and youth boss Brian Flynn have all been interviewed by the FAW for the vacant position.

Speed replaced Kevin Blackwell as Blades boss in August, but is now favourite for the Wales job that has been vacant since John Toshack left after Wales' opening Euro 2012 qualifying defeat in Montenegro in September.

The FAW has said that they hope to appoint their new manager before Christmas.

Flynn has been backed by senior Welsh internationals to replace Toshack on a full-time basis and was in temporary charge for Wales' Group G qualifying defeats to Bulgaria and Switzerland.

Lagerback, who coached Sweden to three European Championships and two World Cup finals, was favourite before Speed emerged as a serious candidate last Thursday.

Coleman, sacked by Championship side Coventry City in May and currently out of a job, is second favourite but the former Premier League manager is also wanted by Greek side Larissa to be their next manager.

A six-man committee has been appointed to interview candidates and recommend a successor.

FAW chief executive Ford then has the executive power to make the approach to the chosen candidate and appoint him as Welsh football's top man.

Wales are bottom of their qualifying group for Euro 2012, losing all three matches they have played.

Their next Group G qualifier is against England on 26 March.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/9274410.stm

Being one point above the relegation zone, do you think this could be a blessing for Sheffield Untied, considering you might say that Speed is struggling at the mo, rather sacking him and pay out, he leaving and they get money for it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well plenty of managers have ahd less time in a job. At the moment he is looking like an average manager

You know on the bus in the morning when you goto college, do you sit behind the driver and ask "are we nearly there yet" every 2 minutes with the odd "I'm bored" thrown in for good measure?

Archived